Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303933 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1860 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »

Rereading is helpful when you've failed to grasp the argument in the first place

You should do what I do, and fail constantly, which is try to say what you been trying to say in different ways with hopes that people catch on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »

Quote from: YOU
And she definitely states it in a way that implies that the few examples she's hand-picked are completely representative, which is definitely stating things in a rather misleading fashion. She also, in the current video #2 talks about how single female deaths in games are fostering a culture of violence against women, yet she completely ignores that you probably massacre 100's if not 1000's of male characters in each of those games. One thing that strikes me, is that if I was making a highly violent action game I might be tempted to put exactly zero female characters in it, to avoid any accusation of fostering violence against women, for the same reason you don't see many little kids in shooters. I have to wonder if this is one reason you don't see more female antagonists in shooters.

The above is a perfect example of your inability to both understand an argument and your reliance of misrepresentation. And yet you constantly call strawman  ::)
You might remember more if you weren't throwing shit and hoping it sticks all the time.

I'm not really sure how the above passage justifies you in calling me a wanna-be wife-beater, but i'll take your word for it that it's an "explanation" of your outburst. Actually, the points i made above were that

- games where you beat up women are not representative, but Anita tries and makes it look that way.

- games where you kill 100's of males and 1 female, are hardly likely to reinforce a "it's ok to beat women" trope, but hey if you want to claim "special treatment" for women - go ahead. Although isn't that playing into the "women need special protection" trope that I thought was taboo?

- negative reaction to a *few* or even 1 female death in-game, might explain why few games have female characters

I think that's a valid observation, and it might part of the reason you don't see so many female characters in shooters. when they are there, there's controversy. As I listed in a previous post, there are many virtually identical situations with male characters to the ones Anita identified as misogynistic violence, even in the very same games she cited, there are males killed off in similar fashions to the "sexist" deaths. so this shows it's not purely about portraying males and females in the same manner, (if it was, God Of War II wouldn't have been an example) it's about not portraying females in overly-violent situations. In short, it's ok to have the player kill a disempowered male character, but not if that character is female.

Which is to say she doesn't want violence against women portrayed to the extent that is acceptable for violence against men, but she makes the case that violence against women in games is especially and uniquely screwed up, without mentioning (or maybe without knowing) that there are extremely similar examples of male death in many games. i have no trouble with whatever she wants to promote, but i do have a problem with promoting your agenda in a misleading fashion.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:57:12 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:54 pm »

Compared that we have had two intelligent people watch Anita's second video and they got a completely opposite idea of her argument of violence against women... Maybe we should look to see if that is because of the video itself.

Which frankly, I can see it. She argues against both violence against women being "special" in videogames AND she argues that there aren't enough female minions to mow down.

I think Anita's argument is she doesn't want violence against women to be "special" but once again she bogs it down with really terrible examples and explanations.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 06, 2013, 11:25:18 pm »

HEY GUYS
THERE'S A SECOND VIDEO
Oh wait you already saw. Derp.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »

Rereading is helpful when you've failed to grasp the argument in the first place

You should do what I do, and fail constantly, which is try to say what you been trying to say in different ways with hopes that people catch on.

Ironically trying to make that point (that people aren't addressing the actual argument) I am repeating myself over and over again until people start catching on. It is very anger inducing...

if I was making a highly violent action game I might be tempted to put exactly zero female characters in it, to avoid any accusation of fostering violence against women, for the same reason you don't see many little kids in shooters. I have to wonder if this is one reason you don't see more female antagonists in shooters.

I think that's a valid observation, and it might part of the reason you don't see so many female characters in shooters. when they are there, there's controversy. As I listed in a previous post, there are many virtually identical situations with male characters to the ones Anita identified as misogynistic violence, even in the very same games she cited, there are males killed off in similar fashions to the "sexist" deaths. so this shows it's not purely about portraying males and females in the same manner, (if it was, God Of War II wouldn't have been an example) it's about not portraying females in overly-violent situations.

Which is to say she doesn't want violence against women portrayed to the same level that is acceptable for violence against men, but she makes the case that violence against women in games is especially and uniquely screwed up, without mentioning (or maybe without knowing) that there are extremely similar examples of male death in many games. i have no trouble with whatever she wants to promote, but i do have a problem with promoting your agenda in a misleading fashion.

As I said before, the actual situations the male and female characters are engaged in are only superficially similar in a lot of cases, and that point will probably need to wait until Part 3 to be fully addressed. I've already agreed with you that for it to be a strong point she'll need statistical evidence by then if she wants to show the tropes prevalence, but preemptively attacking her argument as fallacious before fully understanding what it is is at best careless. I will add a criticism that she probably should've have released all parts simultaneously to avoid these kinds of arguments.

Stories can't help but focus on the protagonist but the way male characters are used in paving the hero's quest is different than the way women are used. As Anita specifically says when describing what she objects to and how she defines 'Violence against women' in her videos is:

Since what we are really talking about here are depictions of violence against women it might be useful to quickly define what I mean by that term. When I say Violence Against Women I’m primarily referring to images of women being victimized or when violence is specifically linked to a character’s gender or sexuality. Female characters who happen to be involved in violent or combat situations on relatively equal footing with their opponents are typically be exempt them from this category because they are usually not framed as victims.

And while it's possible that some people would object to women in any capacity being targets of violence that has little to do with Anita's own argument. They can choose to listen or not, either way I'm sure the worst that will happen is some people call them doodyheads or avoid the game for either lack of interest or outright refusal to buy their games anymore. If they feel it is safer to avoid the issue all together because they can't handle it then it's very likely that they're right, since it's rather simple to avoid a snafu like overly sexualized assassin nuns by treating the antagonists as antagonists first instead of drawing more attention to her gender, and in some egregious cases adding a sexually-charged humiliating defeat.

When women are used as victims she objects to how they're portrayed in the manner of possessions, much like the story of Job when God merely "replaced" Job's family or how certain cultures consider wives their chattel. A mentor or father figure is usually not reduced entirely to that of an object in the narrative, even if something bad happens to them. Being the mother or lover who dies for shock value is very different role in a story than being the master who must be replaced by the apprentice. There's also a greater sense that it is the fallen figure who must be avenged instead of the protagonist who has been wronged.

This is seen here:

Women shouldn’t be mere disposable objects or symbolic pawns in stories about men and their own struggles with patriarchal expectations and inadequacies.

As she had just explained, the stories of vengeance that surround a Fridge story are typically done in a manner that suggests women really are just possessions of the male character which must be either recovered or their vandalism punished. This context and a few others simply cannot be equated to similar situations with men because there's also an element of the surrounding cultural images (meme, tropes, whatever) which shape our perceptions of these events. Men (as a class) don't have a history of being seen as a possession based on their gender. Even soldiers who are used as pawns by the Elite class, the cultural image which emerges from that isn't one of men being objects but rather actors fighting for family and nation. It's manipulation of a foul sort, but not sexism (classism would probably define it though).

These are ultimately stories about men for men, and in her perspective these dominate the market to the point they cut out what should be a far more inclusive environment if game developers want to draw more female gamers towards their sections of the industry. This male-dominance applies even when looking at the emergence of RPGS or multiplayer shooters which allow gender selection, but in those situations it's not really the same as the story is going to play out mostly oblivious to the character's gender anyway (and developers often cut corners with that story as it is). When one looks at the sub-set of games where diversity of protagonists would matter, those of a single-player set character story, I don't think it's unreasonable to say games featuring a white male protagonist are far more common than any other combination. These stories reach for emotional stakes in well-established tropes without taking a moment to consider a more respectful portrayal in place of sheer shock value. Recently it's seeing push with more variety in both protagonists and how these situations are treated but that doesn't mean the matter has already vanished.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:45:32 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:19 am »

The MercyKill Tv Tropes I linked and showed examples from is filled with examples of both genders of disempowered NPCs where you killing them is shown to be "for their own good". And plenty of them thank you for killing them. Clearly, though the tvTropes pages is far from encyclopedic on the matter, it shows plenty of examples which are more than a little superficially similar to the points that Anita makes.

As for repeating oneself, this is the third time I brought it up and you haven't addressed it whatsoever, and continue to make an irrelevant appeal to Anita's line that "women involved in actual combat are ok".

Anita claims that these tropes are "defined by gender", but we have an arms-length list of male examples using identical scenarios: dis-empowered or possessed males, you fight and kill them (for their own good), they thank you for your violent actions, or the game rewards you for "nobly" euthanizing the dis-empowered character.

I guess at this stage you can say, "yes, but they're only superficially identical situations".

Probably, any issue with females being more often kidnapped etc, is more to do with the male players emotional reaction: "why should I care what happens to a male character", rather than an attitude, of "Me Ugg! Own Woman! Woman Stolen! Ug Get Woman Back!"

The view stems not from a belief that women are a "mere thing" but more from a belief that "women are important".

The woman's freedom, is seen as something worth dying for.

---

I think the studies done on types of game preferred by both genders do actually have a bearing on the demographics buying and playing games, females don't seem to be big fans of fps games, where the gender of the protagonist may not even really be readily apparent (where you often can't actually see your character).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:26:45 am by Reelya »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 07, 2013, 12:26:10 am »

The MercyKill Tv Tropes I linked and showed examples from is filled with examples of both genders of disempowered NPCs where you killing them is shown to be "for their own good". And plenty of them thank you for killing them. Clearly, though the tvTropes pages is far from encyclopedic on the matter, it shows plenty of examples which are more than a little superficially similar to the points that Anita makes.

As for repeating oneself, this is the third time I brought it up and you haven't addressed it whatsoever.

Anita claims that these tropes are "defined by gender", but we have an arms-length list of male examples using identical scenarios: dis-empowered or possessed males, you fight and kill them (for their own good), they thank you for your violent actions, or the game rewards you for "nobly" euthanizing the dis-empowered character.

I guess at this stage you can say, "yes, but they're only superficially identical situations".

Sorry, I did let that slip.

You're right that these situations aren't entirely defined by a member of gender X being in the same location (due to cultural factors) but you're also missing a lot of nuance which makes many of those examples in the tropes page invalid. The portrayal of women "who deserved" it is problematic because it's done in a context of a relationship and the surrounding justifications used by people who beat their spouse/parents. Her point was that repeating these stories of where a man is forced to beat somebody he ostensibly cares about is feeding back into the cultural consciousness where women are cast as needing to be beaten to their senses. In itself the action of a mercy killing isn't particularly horrible but .. well I can't think of an analogy that won't abuse race as an example right now. It's the surrounding context of the game's bearing culture that makes the scenario so unsettling.

Anita also points out that this is in part due to limited game mechanics making violence the only real answer to these problems.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:28:26 am by Glowcat »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 07, 2013, 12:28:28 am »

Personally, i'm not buying that there's a cultural meme of women needing to be beaten. Maybe in the US.

It's certainly not a popular belief here. To be honest, as a worldview it's up there with the "popularity" of pedophilia.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'd call one of the most reviled acts in modern society part of the "cultural consciousness"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:31:35 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:22 am »

Personally, i'm not buying that there's a cultural meme of women needing to be beaten. Maybe in the US.

It's certainly not a popular belief here. To be honest, as a worldview it's up there with the "popularity" of pedophilia.

It is because the belief that women shouldn't be touched no matter what is also strong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:03 am »

Hi, I'm a woman.  I've been abused by two different boyfriends.  I have PTSD.

Wanna ask me something instead of speculating at length about my reactions to stuff?

Personally, i'm not buying that there's a cultural meme of women needing to be beaten. Maybe in the US. It's certainly not a popular belief here.

Yes, this is a thing in the US.  I just came back from remembering why I hate the Lutheran church (note: I get to say that, my grampa was a pastor in the Missouri Synod).  There are literally pamphlets on church doctrine from 2004 carefully explaining the need to reverse previous decisions on women's ability to possess authority and so on.

In cases of domestic violence, the argument was that the woman should continue to submit to her husband and pray to god for strength to withstand it.  Until she dies.  Because that is her natural place.

Something like that.  I realize that this is a very specific example rather than a statistic, but what I'm trying to say is that the edges of the country don't really feel like the middle, and that a lot of the feminist boogey-monsters that seem to be gone are actually gone in, well, metropolitan areas, but in more rural regions--that is, in a hell of a lot of the US--attitudes are still very, well, old-fashioned.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 07, 2013, 12:35:03 am »

Ah yeah, i forgot about religious people. I live in Australia which is a highly atheist country with a well-funded public education system that would be considered extremely liberal in the United States, so yeah, they pretty much ram good behavior down kids throats at school, on TV etc, so young people get the message that things like domestic violence are really, really screwed up from multiple sources.

I keep forgetting that we're considered exceptionally enlightened in other places (maybe except Scandinavia and some places though), so that's a kind of worldview which is a bit of a mystery to me. Even amongst religious types here there aren't that many real extremists.

Part of that could actually be, because Australia is actually more highly urbanized (89%), compared to America (82%). Outside the larger towns and cities, the population is extremely thin.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:47:42 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:59 am »

Hi, I'm a woman.  I've been abused by two different boyfriends.  I have PTSD.

Wanna ask me something instead of speculating at length about my reactions to stuff?

I almost want to take you up on that offer in order to call attention to the horrible use of PTSD in Other M... but that would be in bad taste.

that a lot of the feminist boogey-monsters

Goodness is the demonification of females common when I think about it. I don't know what it is about creating men's club that make women evil and need to be controlled so popular.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 07, 2013, 12:41:06 am »

No, seriously.  Ask respectfully, but I'd much rather have people ask than pretend that there's not people right fucking here reading along.

Goodness is the demonification of females common when I think about it. I don't know what it is about creating men's club that make women evil and need to be controlled so popular.

EDIT: Wow, that was really the wrong URL.

Go read "The Traffic in Women" by Gayle Rubin.  But I will keep the text: GOOD FUCKING QUESTION!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:44:23 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:39 am »

EDIT: I'm not sure I'd call one of the most reviled acts in modern society part of the "cultural consciousness"

I couldn't find any statistical data or study that wasn't behind a paywall unfortunately.

But these anecdotes give the general sense.

http://www.care2.com/causes/domestic-violence-teens-think-rihanna-deserved-it.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/some-reasons-men-give-being-violent-their-partners-3405980.html

EDIT: I'm going to dig around more since I know I've come across a study before and I hate not having hard data.
EDIT2: Nope.. just snippets through Google of the article discussing it, but not even something viewable in the abstract. Darn.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:22:23 am by Glowcat »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 07, 2013, 12:53:24 am »

glowcat, that second link you provided paints a rather "mixed" image of the problem. i'll cite the relevant part here:

In one instance I had a niece and her partner living with me for a while and her partner had attended at least a couple of violent offender programs. I saw him using many of the techniques and strategies taught during these groups. I saw him being aware that he was getting 'hot' and I saw him communicating with her in a clear, cool and non insulting way and I also saw him remaining calm, saying nothing so as not to inflame the situation and as she escalated the situation I saw him telling her that he was about to take 'time out'. In fact he used many of the communication strategies very well.

His partner did indeed appear to be 'hounding' him in the manner I mentioned earlier. And she even did appear to be 'asking for it'. From details given to me in both individual counseling sessions and in these group sessions I believe those men who tell me that their partners, "won't let up" until he 'finally blows his top'.

Rather than portray an example of totally unjustified male aggression, your link shows that the writer has actually observed women taunting their spouse (who has been put into offender programs) into blowing their temper - all while the male spouse used all the professional tricks in the book to try and defuse that situation calmly.

The entire thing is still the man's fault right?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:01:52 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 277