Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303636 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1695 on: June 03, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

evolutionary psychology
makes no scientific sense whatsoever
Unless there's been recent changes in the field that turned it into something besides unmitigated just-so bullshit, anyway :-\ Which, hey, maybe. It's been a couple years. State of the study was so mindbogglingly terrible last time I looked into it I haven't bothered checking in occasionally. Pretty stories, no science. But if that link is representative...
Hold on I have been skimming parts of the thread. I need to give this a reread anyway, but still...
Frumple, are you saying to say there isn't good scientific ground supporting evolution?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 03, 2013, 08:02:13 pm »

Evo-Psych, the psuedo-science field, not evolution, the scientific theory.

Related, but not the same, much like Artificial Selection and Guided Breeding is a real thing that happens, but that doesn't mean Intelligent Design is a valid scientific field.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 03, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »

Frumple, are you saying to say there isn't good scientific ground supporting evolution?
Nah. Early evolutionary studies had some pretty big issues, though, sure. Those have been fixed, insofar as I'm aware.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 04, 2013, 01:58:45 am »

I just saw the front page of Anita's new video, with a warning "This video contains a handful of graphic scenes involving violence against women. Parents should preview the video first before sharing with young children." Rampant violence against men, that's all well and good and needs no warning.

At this point I may have to put up something I rarely practice myself but that is important. (I usually don't because it is a lot of work)

Sometimes most of what someone says is wrong or not worth looking at, but it doesn't mean they don't make point.

Anita hints at good points but never follows them up mostly because she is terrible at giving examples (especially if you played the games).

Basically you have to overlook a lot to enjoy her videos but once you clear away the poor examples, unsupported arguments, and works used only for impact but not sense... You end up with a very light video in terms of actual information.

You have no idea how much I want her to support some of her statements, because I feel like she has reasoning behind it but I never get to hear it. I am just supposed to assume she is right, which would be fine if this wasn't professional work.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1699 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So Rolan, you actually going to give an opposition about my points or are you just going to continue saying men are brutes and Anita gets rape threats means I'm wrong?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: June 04, 2013, 05:46:25 am »

Anita hints at good points but never follows them up mostly because she is terrible at giving examples (especially if you played the games).
She isn't bad at examples, heck I would say she has a talent for it! She is bad at social diagnostics.
She knows there is a problem, and the problem is affecting women, and has so far assumed it is the existence of certain tropes that put women in a certain role. This is a mistake, the problem is the lack of diversity in roles.

She is basically a second wave feminist in lipstick.

EDIT: No, I take it back.
What I should have said is "The problem is affecting people", because I feel guys are missing out on interesting games and trivialized as meatheads who only want bigger boobies. I apologize.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1701 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:01 am »

She isn't bad at examples, heck I would say she has a talent for it!
No she is bad at examples. She rips everything painfully out of context and uses games where the protagonist kills themself as a good way of dealing with loss. It literally appears as if she only ever heard of the games she uses through someone else's reviews. In her two months she could have picked one or two games and covered them in detail, doing so much more than 'look at all these violent scenes.'

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

She isn't bad at examples, heck I would say she has a talent for it! She is bad at social diagnostics.
She knows there is a problem, and the problem is affecting women, and has so far assumed it is the existence of certain tropes that put women in a certain role. This is a mistake, the problem is the lack of diversity in roles.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something, but where did she say that the problem affecting women is caused by or limited to the tropes?

Again, she is making a series highlighting sexist tropes in video games as a way to increase awareness of these tropes. I don't see anywhere claims that this is what is most important or that there aren't other problems to be addressed. This sort of increased awareness - and especially giving people the shared vocabulary to talk about these things, which tropes are fantastic for - is very valuable. It gives people the tools to identify things that bother them in games and criticise them in a way that others can understand, even if they disagree or don't have the perspective to usually see the problems.

No she is bad at examples. She rips everything painfully out of context and uses games where the protagonist kills themself as a good way of dealing with loss. It literally appears as if she only ever heard of the games she uses through someone else's reviews. In her two months she could have picked one or two games and covered them in detail, doing so much more than 'look at all these violent scenes.'
Again, she is making a list of games that use a given trope. Just because the game does things in addition to that trope doesn't mean it doesn't use that trope. I really don't see how this is so hard to get.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:27 am »

Sexist tropes? What makes them sexist?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1704 on: June 04, 2013, 06:16:36 am »

She said they are so they are now.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 04, 2013, 06:23:43 am »

Their use.

Once again again, tropes do not exist in a vacuum. They are their use in various media and the interactions between the stories and society. You can't divorce them from that.

When it comes to the tropes she is talking about - Damsel in Distress, Women in Refrigerators, Euthanized Damsel, etc. - the very fact that they are so common and accepted as valid plot points and roles for female characters is what makes them sexist. That having a woman kidnapped or killed to serve as motivation for the male protagonist is pretty much the default video game plot is sexist. That - as shown in the latest video - games can commonly invite and justify violence against video while playing up common pro-domestic violence narratives is sexist and dangerous.

Now is it possible to use plot points that are part of the tropes without it being sexist? Maybe, although it would be hard given the social context you are working in. The whole parody cake thing comes up for one thing. Unless you are actually subverting the trope you are effectively re-enforcing the social impression of the narrative. And subversion tends to require a deeper understanding of the trope and it's problematic elements than a lot of video game developers have been demonstrating.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:53 am »

So... What you are saying... Is the problem exists not with the tropes themselves... But instead their over saturation in a given medium...

SO EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING AND ANITA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. Well thank you.
I shouldn't even have to repeat this, I have in the past so many times, but I know even this won't be the last time. There is nothing wrong with these tropes*, but rather something wrong with the dependents on these tropes. We should be able to make a game where the hero saves the princess and not call it out as being sexist. In the same way, we should be able to play a variety of games where women are given roles other than the girl who needs saving.

*Possible exception to Women asking for violence, but that isn't wrong because it is objectification or any reason that the other given tropes are wrong.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 04, 2013, 06:51:17 am »

So... What you are saying... Is the problem exists not with the tropes themselves... But instead their over saturation in a given medium...

SO EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING AND ANITA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. Well thank you.

No. I didn't say the problem isn't with the tropes themselves. I said that the social context and abundance is part of the tropes. There is a substantial difference.

The tropes are problematic for the social context of their content. You can't separate the two. That's kinda the point of them being, well, tropes. That they are elements of stories that have a broader social context in the wider world of media and narratives.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Anita makes the same points. From the first video;
The pattern of presenting women as fundamentally weak, ineffective or entirely incapable also has larger ramifications beyond the characters themselves and the specific games they inhabit. We have to remember that these games do not exist in a vacuum, they are an increasingly important and influential part of our larger social and cultural ecosystem.

The reality is that this troupe is being used in a real-world context where backwards sexist attitudes are already rampant. It’s a sad fact that a large percentage of the world’s population still clings to the deeply sexist belief that women as a group need to be sheltered, protected and taken care of by men.

The belief that women are somehow a “naturally weaker gender” is a deeply ingrained socially constructed myth, which of course is completely false- but the notion is reinforced and perpetuated when women are continuously portrayed as frail, fragile, and vulnerable creatures.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that all games using the damsel in distress as a plot device are automatically sexist or have no value. But it’s undeniable that popular culture is a powerful influence in or lives and the Damsel in Distress trope as a recurring trend does help to normalize extremely toxic, patronizing and paternalistic attitudes about women.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:01:16 am by palsch »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 04, 2013, 07:06:22 am »

There is a sexist social expectation that women must wear skirts, despite the fact that pants are both more comfortable and practical. This is unfair because it is disadvantaging women just to appeal to what men want to see women wear.
/rational point
Therefor when ever a women wears a skirts is a sexist trope! Women shouldn't be wearing skirts! Look at all these photos I have of women wearing skirts! You can't escape the fact that fashion does not exist in a vacuum and it is sexist in a broader social context!

That is literally the kind of argument you are making right now. You do understand that, right?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:40 am »

There is a sexist social expectation that women must wear skirts, despite the fact that pants are both more comfortable and practical. This is unfair because it is disadvantaging women just to appeal to what men want to see women wear.
/rational point
Therefor when ever a women wears a skirts is a sexist trope! Women shouldn't be wearing skirts! Look at all these photos I have of women wearing skirts! You can't escape the fact that fashion does not exist in a vacuum and it is sexist in a broader social context!

That is literally the kind of argument you are making right now. You do understand that, right?
I, for one, would love to wear skirts if I had the legs for them. Just sayan...
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 277