Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303475 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1455 on: May 29, 2013, 04:39:06 am »

I do believe that you're the ones that posted the initial thesis, which means the burden of proof is on you. Shouldn't be a problem because it's easily provable, eh?

I showed that it's true for movies.  Why would tv shows be different?  That's my argument.
I'm tired of your sarcasm anyway, going to bed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 29, 2013, 04:39:56 am »

Ok, if a show where the majority of the characters are female
(lets say 90%) is a "female focused show" then the opposite of it must also be true.

I'm not sure that test would be an improvement over Bechdel. For example, harem shows would probably qualify as "female focused" by that criteria but I think it's reasonable to suggest that a show about one guy getting a dozen women probably isn't intended for a female audience.

There is more then one definition of female focused show.

Though in this case I am using the definition that Strawberry Shortcake is the Exemplar.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:00 am »

I'm not aware of motivation for joining the force of *any* characters in crime shows. Mostly because they're completely irrelevant, just like other personality aspects of them. Male and female characters alike tend to be cardboard cutouts, because ultimately they're not important beyond being a delivery vehicle for cringe-worthy puns.

@Rolan: I don't recall you conclusively proving anything.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:58 am »

Male and female characters alike tend to be cardboard cutouts, because ultimately they're not important beyond being a delivery vehicle for cringe-worthy puns.

Yes but that is another problem Anita doesn't really tackle within her videos.

Anita Sarkeesian is a radical feminist who uses the word patriarchy way too much and generally makes women out to be victims without providing any examples as to how we can fix the problems she describes

How about the fact that she rarely tells us WHY something is wrong she just relies on the word carrying the weight.

Once again... Peach. It will always drive me nuts.

WHY do you say she is being objectified? Because in the metaplot she is acted upon but doesn't act herself? But why does that mean she is being objectified? Because she is a trophy? WHY is she a trophy?

AHHH! Once again it is the largest part of contention between me and Anita's videos is that I really don't see the objectification she does, but she doesn't open up that part.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:46:43 am by Neonivek »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44:41 am »

Male and female characters alike tend to be cardboard cutouts, because ultimately they're not important beyond being a delivery vehicle for cringe-worthy puns.

Yes but that is another problem Anita doesn't really tackle within her videos.
And that's what I'm talking about when I say that most feminists completely ignore one gender in favor of the other.
People are people. Male, female or otherwise. You need to consider everyone or you're just as bad as the people you criticize.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: May 29, 2013, 04:48:51 am »

I'm not aware of motivation for joining the force of *any* characters in crime shows. Mostly because they're completely irrelevant, just like other personality aspects of them. Male and female characters alike tend to be cardboard cutouts, because ultimately they're not important beyond being a delivery vehicle for cringe-worthy puns.

@Rolan: I don't recall you conclusively proving anything.

Look, if you want to argue that the Bechdel tests don't demonstrate a gender imbalance in movies, you could just say that.  Or you could argue that movies and tv shows aren't the same thing.  Vaguely questioning whatever we say without specifics isn't helpful to anyone.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:28 am »

I'll admit that some of those were motivations in novels.  Quite a number of them were lifted straight from TV shows, though.

Oh, like this one:

"Because I have a special gift for mathematics, my brother is captain on the force, and I'm depressed after my mother's death, so I needed a new lease on life.  I'm not sure if this one is right or not."

Or this one:

"I'm a crime writer and I need stories, but because I know how people think you need me."

Or this one:

"I get protection money from gangs."

(Taken from Numb3rs, Castle, and Person of Interest, with whatever Reese and Finch's motivations ended up being alongside.  Why yes... I do watch a lot of procedurals.)

You need to consider everyone or you're just as bad as the people you criticize.

Wow, you need to figure out who feminists are criticizing before you throw that allegation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:59 am »

For the most part I like to let a feminist theory express itself before I dismiss it out of hand. Since there are fair ones that are just focused on female issues but where their methodology doesn't lend them to either circular logic or excluding others at hand.

For example Gail definition where sexism is only a general imbalance between genders towards the weaker side. to put it simply... Sexism only exists against women and there is no such thing as sexism towards males. It would be a feminist theory I'd just ignore off hand.

While another feminist I like listening to says that women are undervalued in society, especially ones without modern conveniences, and that if we were to look at a group and analyze them by time put towards activities, we can see situations where the efficiency of a group can be increased simply by lightening the work load of the women through use of technology. It is feminism as it is focused on females, but the methodology not only makes sense but it can be applied to males.

It really can just be the test of legitimacy. If a feminism does not apply also to men if you use the very same methodology, it likely wasn't a very good methodology. At least as far as I am concerned.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:55:21 am by Neonivek »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: May 29, 2013, 04:50:42 am »

And throwing out vague buzzwords like they're facts isn't proof of anything. And it's not my job to prove they're false, it's your job to prove them true.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: May 29, 2013, 04:53:56 am »

Hm, you're right, they should make two of the princesses main characters to balance out Finn and Jake.

NOOOO!!! NO AND NO AGAIN! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! That isn't the point! THE POINT!!!! THAT ISN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!
Ok so I'm fully aware that you were using hyperbole, I don't care. I feel like telling you why that is wrong. And here why that is wrong. There is nothing wrong with a male oriented show! You don't need to keep a tally board of the genders of each character. You can have two male protagonists and leave female characters on the wings. You are allowed to do this.

The problem would be if you proposed making a cartoon with two female protagonists and the guy who runs the network said "Well it is pretty good, but change the two girls to boys. We want boys to be able to relate to these characters."
And this happens in the games industry. And it sucks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:32 am »

And throwing out vague buzzwords like they're facts isn't proof of anything. And it's not my job to prove they're false, it's your job to prove them true.

Buzzwords like what? What statement are you even arguing against?

I already proven my statement was more then just buzz words and opened them up to criticisms. Male Oriented Television means the opposite of Strawberry Shortcake... And that Teenage mutant ninja turtles would be an example of that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:53 am »

That media in general are overwhelmingly male-targeted.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: May 29, 2013, 04:58:33 am »

That media in general are overwhelmingly male-targeted.

Ohh I meant that Media in general has a large male cast compared to a female cast.

That was my definition of "Male focused", where the cast is made up of mostly males.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:00:05 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 29, 2013, 05:02:12 am »

Buzzwords like what? What statement are you even arguing against?

I already proven my statement was more then just buzz words and opened them up to criticisms. Male Oriented Television means the opposite of Strawberry Shortcake... And that Teenage mutant ninja turtles would be an example of that.

Nah, he's talking to me.  He's saying the Bechdel test is a vague buzzword and that it's my duty to link him directly to it if I mention its conclusion.  Either that or he honestly doesn't know what it is!  So here, gain a basic education:
http://bechdeltest.com/statistics/

And no, it's not conclusive proof of anything.  I'm not writing a thesis, I was participating in a discussion and now it's dawn.
She/they

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: May 29, 2013, 05:04:21 am »

Bechdel test is used to determine what archetypes you fit into that determine why you enjoy Multi-User-Dungeons, right?
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 277