Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303937 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1185 on: April 14, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »

This is quite a good website that demonstrates the silly poses that women usually take in superhero comics
Hah, I love it. I especially like this one. I really love the genderbent poison ivy, something about a muscular naked man being all sulky just cracks me up.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 14, 2013, 05:04:49 pm »

Oh yes.
<3's for the wonder woman design, she looks really serious and professional, I love it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 14, 2013, 05:27:21 pm »

So you seriously think that was an accurate description of your average stay at home Mum?
There's no such thing as an "average stay at home mum" that actually describes anyone, I'd wager. What's your point?

Or that being a man is a ticket to fame and fortune?
If only someone else had said this, maybe you'd have a point. But unfortunately, the only one that said it was you.

But it's alright. It's pretty obvious now. You're a very privileged guy who finds that tidbit of knowledge deeply disarming. You've had it a lot easier than you could have, if only things were slightly different and you were born into a different, and it's vital to your sense of well-being that you don't see that as the case. You've obviously built a lot of your identity around the fact that you are not, in fact, privileged - and maybe, like most people, you have a deep need to believe that you are somehow a victim. Or maybe, deep down, you realize you've done wrong, but you'll be fine as long as you can deny it to yourself. To be honest, I don't know why you've built up this facade for yourself, this need to tilt at windmills to justify your worldview.

Unfortunately, this thread isn't a "who's got it worse" party, and this dishonesty with yourself isn't, in the end, going to do you any more good than being dishonest has been. Compare yourself to LordBucket - LordBucket may have views I find disagreeable, and even terrible, but he doesn't seem to feel this same compulsive need to miscast, mischaracterize, misidentify and outright fabricate his justifications. He doesn't seem nearly so desperate. His views, as much as I don't like them, seem genuine.

But yours... aren't. You keep trying to build up this alternate reality where you're right, where those who disagree with you are wrong, but it honestly seems to me like the one you're really trying to convince is yourself.

No one is out to get you. No one struggles to understand your problems. You are not a victim here. Your suffering, what there is of it, doesn't alleviate, or excuse, or explain away the crap other people have deal with. You are not your stereotypes, and you don't have to defend them. You are others of your class, of your gender, or race or clan or group or what-the-fuck-ever. You do not have to defend the wrong other people do because you associate yourself with belonging to the same group they do. This is not a contest, and you cannot win, you do not have a team, and I don't think you really believe any of the crap you keep putting out. If you really believed you were right, you wouldn't feel the need to be so dishonest, so genuinely dishonest, in your approach to the topic.

From your very first post in this thread, you haven't been making arguments. You've been making excuses. And honestly? It's pathetic. Take some time, stand back, examine your motivations, and figure out what you're actually trying to accomplish here, and whether or not that really matches how you see yourself.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 15, 2013, 12:01:15 am »

Sweetie, I had my house burned down because I'm of the wrong ethnicity. Don't talk to me about privilege. But it is quite funny how in the same breath you accuse me of gross mischaracterization and apply it on me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:11:16 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 15, 2013, 12:16:38 am »

Oh yes.
<3's for the wonder woman design, she looks really serious and professional, I love it.

For me some of them really work and some of them REALLY don't.

Zatanna really doesn't and Wonderwoman's pants. (Well maybe just Zatanna's pants)

While Electra is perfect and Power Girl only needs mild tinkering to be perfect.

In fact if I had to point to the one thing that tends to ruin most of these it is that the artist really keeps choosing terrible pants. At least in terms of my personal preference of aesthetics. Except Power Girl where the pants really work it is just her shirt that is the issue and Electra where she is perfect.

Also does Black Canary oddly look like Nina Williams to anyone?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:49 am »

Sweetie, I had my house burned down because I'm of the wrong ethnicity. Don't talk to me about privilege. But it is quite funny how in the same breath you accuse me of gross mischaracterization and apply it on me.

The only image we have of anything representing you is of a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white cyborg. You are grossly mischaracterizing.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 15, 2013, 12:22:12 am »

That's an elf >:(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1193 on: April 15, 2013, 12:30:13 am »

Even worse.

Anyway, I like WWs pants, and Super Girls tunic ensemble.

The others don't really stand out to me, but I like the general idea. :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 15, 2013, 12:49:51 am »

LordBucket may have views I find disagreeable, and even terrible, but he doesn't seem to feel this same compulsive need to miscast, mischaracterize, misidentify and outright fabricate his justifications. He doesn't seem nearly so desperate. His views, as much as I don't like them, seem genuine.

Thank you.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1195 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:16 am »

I like these designs. Esp. Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

Neat, they do look like good designs without being like a sack dress.
I was trying to think of something to say about the male characters in skintight bodysuits but I couldn't think of anything relevant.

Hah, I love it. I especially like this one. I really love the genderbent poison ivy, something about a muscular naked man being all sulky just cracks me up.

Some of the pictures are reminding me of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure". I think it's the poses. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:55 am »

Anybody want to keep trying to argue that only men are interested in games?
Well maybe, perhaps if the industry took woman into account, things would look different.

This has been another update on sexism in the industry, rather that a list of games that have no intrinsically negative value. Thank you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 15, 2013, 05:56:31 am »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 15, 2013, 07:41:10 am »

Thank you.
This isn't praise!
I daresay, it is praise.  Glyph is just saying he totally disagrees with much of his opinion.  There is nothing wrong with disagreeing on opinions, unless I missed the memo saying there can only be one opinion to bind us all.  Everything else is pretty positive on the way LordBucket presents his arguments, even if people still don't like it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 15, 2013, 09:25:03 am »

He's saying that his views are terrible, but genuine.

It is not a good thing to genuinely hold terrible views.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 277