Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304047 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1125 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »

I like how Prince Link wants to explore the dangerous outside world because it's there, whereas Princess Zelda makes sure things happen as they must.  Triforce-power appropriate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:09 pm »

I like how Prince Link wants to explore the dangerous outside world because it's there, whereas Princess Zelda makes sure things happen as they must.  Triforce-power appropriate.

Well given that they had to put Link in Zelda's old role (of being the sheltered Monarch who cannot do anything) there isn't much he could do and likely feels stifled being unable to act out his own personality.

Link as a Prince could easily work without it being so... ineffectual, yet this is supposed to somewhat be the gender swap with a few twists. A heroic Link using his Prince status would interfere with Zelda being a mageknight hitting the bad guys until they die. So this works better for Zelda's story anyhow (Even if it does make Link a bit shallow and comedic).

Mind you not all Links are War hungry. The Link in Link to the Past for example is gentle hearted and became the hero because the world needed one. While the Link in Twilight Princess would have likely donned the old Sword and Green trousers had the world been in perfect peace. Hense why one is a Bunny and the other is a Wolf (even if I am WAAAAY looking too far). Link's Courage isn't fearlessness but rather his ability to step up and fight against whatever odds are put against him.

Mind you the Zelda in Windwaker is supposed to be a Zelda who decided to escape her responsibilities, which is contrast to her usual dutiful personality. Though given I haven't played that game I have no idea if that was what they were going for.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:23:28 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »

Zelda being a mageknight hitting the bad guys until they die.
That is not an accurate representation of what the article says.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 13, 2013, 04:24:05 pm »

What is she going to talk to them until they die?

She cannot have Link solve her problems for her.

Though I totally could picture Link charging in with a small army against Ganon, but he turns them into bunnies and kidnaps Link and traps him. With all of Link's appearances being when he manages to break out and help Zelda along the way (Mostly because I cannot imagine Link being a manipulator)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:26:39 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »

What is she going to talk to them until they die?

She cannot have Link solve her problems for her.

Though I totally could picture Link charging in with a small army against Ganon, but he turns them into bunnies and kidnaps Link and traps him.
Pick fights well/be opportunistic.
So she'd probably be hitting them once, in weak points. Or maybe avoid combat in total, and instead use the environment to her advantage/find a way around.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:28:44 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:59 pm »

So she'd probably be hitting them once, in weak points

freeky... I actually wrote that out and didn't post it. That all her bosses would be one hit bosses and that she would have to use her superior insight (possibly supernatural) to open them up and find the one way to victory.

Though I honestly don't think "Not fighting" is going to be involved too much. Whenever Zelda didn't fight previously it lead to her capture to the benefit of everyone around her (self-sacrifice being a big thing for Zelda), not fighting because "This boss is too strong" would seem like an annoying gameplay aspect that would pop up a lot, as well not fighting a boss because "He is actually friendly" I am not sure would work either, Well unless the fight lasts forever unless you do something other then beat it up (I am reminded of a stories where innocent people were turned into monsters and the hero saw through it... Zelda using her magical insight could give away this enchantment).

Interesting fact: Shiek was originally going to be in Twilight Princess early in the design process! Her model in Smash Bros Brawl is based off of her Twilight Princess version.

---

OHH DEAR GOODNESS!!!

I just realized something! Prince Link is Windwaker Zelda!

A Character running away from his responsibility.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:36:51 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 13, 2013, 04:36:57 pm »

Though I honestly don't think "Not fighting" is going to be involved too much. Whenever Zelda didn't fight previously it lead to her capture to the benefit of everyone around her (self-sacrifice being a big thing for Zelda), not fighting because "This boss is too strong" would seem like an annoying gameplay aspect that would pop up a lot, as well not fighting a boss because "He is actually friendly" I am not sure would work either.
I didn't mean just avoiding conflict altogether (at least, definitely not in the case of bosses). Maybe more like the "accidents" in Hitman; but obviously with less subtlety and more violent death.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

Though I honestly don't think "Not fighting" is going to be involved too much. Whenever Zelda didn't fight previously it lead to her capture to the benefit of everyone around her (self-sacrifice being a big thing for Zelda), not fighting because "This boss is too strong" would seem like an annoying gameplay aspect that would pop up a lot, as well not fighting a boss because "He is actually friendly" I am not sure would work either.
I didn't mean just avoiding conflict altogether (at least, definitely not in the case of bosses). Maybe more like the "accidents" in Hitman; but obviously with less subtlety and more violent death.

Why do I picture Zelda sneaking up behind Ganondorf and snapping his neck now?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 13, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »

Metal Gear Zelda
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 13, 2013, 05:49:05 pm »

If you want Zelda to be the protagonist and use wisdom the obvious answer is an RTS reboot

Interesting fact: Shiek was originally going to be in Twilight Princess early in the design process! Her model in Smash Bros Brawl is based off of her Twilight Princess version.
I'm guessing they avoided it in order to try and hide the twist a little.  Not that it surprised anyone anyway!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 13, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »

From page 1, folks.

Seriously, this whole thing is so radioactive I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole, and I like arguing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 13, 2013, 06:55:19 pm »

To be fully honest, I feel that we covered a lot of ground and the tone has greatly improved.

Metal Gear Zelda

YES PLEASE
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 13, 2013, 07:04:47 pm »

Does link get to be otacon?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:17 pm »

I don't think a 'The legend of Link' game would work simply because the previous games have already given Zelda personality, a lot more than Link, and thus whether it will be shown or not in the game in question is irrelevant, people will see it. This is kind of opposed to Links character that is ambiguous enough that people just sort of see it as what ever they want. Some see link as a fierce badass type who hunts down giant monsters and isn't afraid of anything, while others see him as being more humble and only has to fight when he ends up stumbling into their lair. It doesn't matter what one you see, what matters is you see the Link you want to see. Zelda though, it already more than an empty vessel, thus will always be what she has been made as.

In a similar way, if any more typical games released after such a game, Link would become what ever he was in the one in question. If he is a very serious type that shows open contempt for the antagonist, or if he is just happily going along with what ever happens, that is who he is from here on.

Would I mind 'The Legend of Zelda: Zelda Edition' under any other name? Certainty not, I would welcome it! I would love a game where the female adventurer saves the male prince if it was done in a Legend of Zelda style, I just don't really want to see the game, and any released after it, have to suffer for its characterization.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

Honestly they've reinvented the game numerous times before. I don't think it'd be that crazy to have a zelda as a main character spin-off.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 277