Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304440 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #810 on: April 06, 2013, 03:48:13 am »

I know a lot more women who play Farmville type games than I know men who do. So yeah, clearly there is some pink bows and chocolate cakes going on there to keep men out of this genre.
Wait, do you mean to imply that when a game is marketed towards women, it can actually be popular!
STOP THE FUCKING PRESS! HOLY SHITBALLBANANAS GUYS! MAKING GAMES THAT APPEAL TO WOMEN CAN ACTUALLY SELL TO WOMEN!

Now we just need to tell the games industry, so they can get over this notion that games only sell to men, thus keep making games for men, thus keep more of the demographic buying certain types of games men, this leading to the notion that games only sell to men.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #811 on: April 06, 2013, 03:48:20 am »

Sarcasm.
But that doesn't invalidate what I was agreeing with!

Gardening? Girly? What?
I know a lot more women who play Farmville type games than I know men who do. So yeah, clearly there is some pink bows and chocolate cakes going on there to keep men out of this genre.
1. Play farmville.
2. Plant trees. No upkeep, infinite harvest with no spoil.
3. Infinite monies.
4. Quit because you're wasting your time with no fruit to show.

Farming is some real work. Kudos to anyone who actually does it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 06, 2013, 03:52:58 am »

But seriously, why the hell is it so awful that games about violence are mostly marketed towards men? And why is it fault of some kind of global conspiracy if women are less interested in such games? And what's up with the attitude that macho things like indiscriminate murder sprees are superior to girly things like gardening?

It COULD be because neither of those things are male or female. In fact Gardening is by far not girly at all and murder sprees are hardly macho.

This we get enforced gender roles within those demographics indirrectly.

Mind you, as I said WAAAAY earlier... you have to adjust for demographics before anyone can claim sexism.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 06, 2013, 03:55:07 am »

Why do virtually all corny action movies have male protagonists?
virtually all

Selection bias on the part of the observer. In this case, you.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena and Gabrielle, Ripley from Aliens, Elizabeth Swan, Michelle Yeoh in most of her movies, Lucy Liu in quite a few of hers, Alice from the various Resident Evil movies, "the bride" from Kill Bill, Sarah Conner in T2, Lara Croft in all of her movies, Miss Congeniality, the entire cast of Charlie's Angels, Barbed Wire, Underworld, Tank Girl, Catwoman, Aeon Flux, that french movie about the girl who becomes an assassin...

...and on, and on...

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/the-20-highest-grossing-femaleled-action-films.php
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/01/the-rise-of-the-female-led-action-film/251678/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionGirl
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ActionGirl/LiveActionFilms
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ActionGirl/LiveActionTV

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 06, 2013, 03:58:54 am »

Bucket, those are all anecdotal examples and all completely and utterly unindicative of the fact that the majority of corny action movies have male protagonists.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #815 on: April 06, 2013, 04:07:02 am »

If you didn't want to bring it up, you shouldn't have brought it up.
I didn't bring anything up.

By saying-
Sure is a lot of resentment in this thread.
PTW.

You are bringing up that you think there is resentment in the thread. If you didn't want to talk about what you see as resentment in the thread, you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Edit because I screwed up the quote tags.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:44:50 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 06, 2013, 04:08:36 am »

Edit: Can I just say that I love the Bionic Commando remake?  It's a power trip in all the best ways.  I get to swing through beautiful forests and buildings, fling people over ledges with a grapple, and absorb way more than the daily recommended value of lead.  It's kinda like Just Cause, Spiderman, and Prototype.  Women are out of luck, though, because there isn't a similar game with a female lead.  How many times will the idea be rehashed with a male hero before, finally, they produce a badass female heroine... with jiggle physics and short shorts.
And now we're criticizing theoretical misogyny.

It's theoretical because all the games of that type have male leads!  The nearest thing is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And because I never really got an answer nor did anyone else, why is it that in piss-poor communities males frequent them and indeed sustain them, whilst even in good communities that actively encourage female participation - there is a large gap of the m:f ratio?

What do you mean by "actively encourage female participation"?

I'm sure a lot of women choose not to reveal themselves as such, particularly on the communities with bad reputations.  Even in good communities such as this one it can lead to drama and different treatment, both positive and negative.

Why do virtually all corny action movies have male protagonists?
virtually all

Selection bias on the part of the observer. In this case, you.

<list of action movies with women>
<three links to tv tropes>

Yeah, that... demonstrates that there exist action movies starring women.  Nobody disputed that.  Who are you arguing against?

It'd be one thing to demand citation, even though it's common knowledge that action movie heroes are overwhelmingly male.  Providing a tiny set of counterexamples is just a waste of everyone's time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #817 on: April 06, 2013, 04:15:15 am »

And because I never really got an answer nor did anyone else, why is it that in piss-poor communities males frequent them and indeed sustain them, whilst even in good communities that actively encourage female participation - there is a large gap of the m:f ratio?
What do you mean by "actively encourage female participation"?
What is says on the tin?

Also image is borked.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 06, 2013, 04:17:13 am »

Who are you arguing against?

I was disputing DJ's claim that virtually all action movies have male protagonists.

I would think that the fact that I quoted it twice should have made that pretty clear.

Providing a tiny set of counterexamples is just a waste of everyone's time.

There were hundreds of examples in those links. How many do you need?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 06, 2013, 04:19:02 am »

And there are many more hundreds of the opposite. How are you proving anything? Nobody's saying there are no examples, just that there are many fewer examples than male lead characters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 06, 2013, 04:32:47 am »

I can't tell if people just agree with me thus feel no need to reply, or think my ranting so idiotic it isn't worth a reply sometimes...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 06, 2013, 04:50:42 am »

Nobody's saying there are no examples,

DJ said they were "virtually all" male protagonists. Here is the link in case you missed it. I linked hundreds of counterexamples. You guys are, as was mentioned a few pages ago, moving your goal posts when you go from "virtually all" to "there's a majority."

51% is a majority.

What percentage needs to exist before you'll agree that there isn't a problem?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 06, 2013, 04:52:56 am »

I can't tell if people just agree with me thus feel no need to reply, or think my ranting so idiotic it isn't worth a reply sometimes...

Your arguments are generally fairly common sense, and I'm sure a lot more people are agreeing with your posts than bother to post to say that they agree with you or to support your points.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 06, 2013, 04:56:41 am »

Nobody's saying there are no examples,

DJ said they were "virtually all" male protagonists. Here is the link in case you missed it. I linked hundreds of counterexamples. You guys are, as was mentioned a few pages ago, moving your goal posts when you go from "virtually all" to "there's a majority."

51% is a majority.

What percentage needs to exist before you'll agree that there isn't a problem?

Not everyone on the same side shares an opinion. We didn't move the goalposts; my goalposts are not the same as others.

A perfect 50/50 is unattainable, but a margin of error of +-5% would be good.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 06, 2013, 05:00:46 am »

Your ranting? Nah. You've been on the mark for a while now. It's just that posting a simple 'I agree' feels needless.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 277