Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304160 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #660 on: March 31, 2013, 03:12:09 pm »

It was out in the country with no one about, so I'm not entirely sure that it conformed to building regulations or not. . . it's stood for fifty years or so, anyway.  The road is so steep and rocky that it's pretty hard to push a wheelbarrow up.  They, y'know, laid the foundation, poured cement, put up scaffolding, built a roof and put in plumbing, and all the stuff one normally does.  My grandfather wired the entire house.

Honestly for a second there I thought you were creating a metaphor for women in sports and other activities.

Where pushing their wheelbarrow up the hill is difficult but they leave behind a foundation of which others like them can get up the hill much more easily.

Then I saw the "My Grandfather" part.

Dang it! it was actually inspirational for a second there.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 01, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

Dang it! it was actually inspirational for a second there.

That was... sort of a weird thing to say? :/

Anyway, found a great video on all the Sarkeesian Outrage, and so on. (the beginning touches on the Tomb Raider thing too; it's not as bad as I was initially worried about).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 01, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »

That video is damn good, and basically expresses my opinion on the whole thing, even the responses right here in this thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »

Yeah that video is pretty good.

I dislike that he was just about to get into WHY the games were advertised exploitatively... and then didn't. It is like he is teasing me.

Also I don't know if I should feel insulted by the video or not. It seems like it is dirrectly refering to me.

Ehhh, I'll chose not to be since I gave the video a fair shot and decided to take it so critically because it was a highly watched video on a very important topic close to my heart that tends to be handled badly a lot.

So TomatoeDave the reason why she is different then everyone else is because I felt like she actually had something important to say and wasn't doing it just for "entertainment value", that ultimately she was meant to be taken seriously and as such I took her seriously and gave her words the gravity of the topic. That is the difference between Anita and John Stewart. John gives criticism but in a sarcastic way that doesn't really say much most of the time.

It is why the very peering criticism towards her never really bugged me as much as this guy. Certainly I found the judging based on her looks distasteful (especially since "Feminism" doesn't mean "Cannot look nice") but out of all the critical videos I seen I only seen exactly two good points and that was it. As for "Not being judged by what you wrote in college" dear goodness guy, people in my house criticise me for Bacon I've cooked years ago, I've already lived the "criticism for things you have long since moved past". Heck I am sure the second I make a game (if I ever... do it... right now my pixil art is holding me back) I am sure this board I am posting is going to dig into me with the harshest words they can find.

Though on the subject of the criticism of her very university thesis... It should be stated that the video that did that actually mostly didn't understand it. While I thought it was kind of fair to bring up, they outright confused several points.

Yes, I take everything seriously. Everything... Do you want my essay on exactly how Captain Planet's powers work? :P
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:29:07 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:34 pm »

Neonivek, you never cease to amaze me in how you can say that something is good, and then seamlessly transition into language that suggests to me that you don't think something is good. I'm not saying that you don't think the video is good, but you only brought up points that seem negative. Your thesis at the top of your post doesn't seem to match the language of your post. So it leaves me generally confused as to what you're really trying to say, even though I know you're trying to be explicit in how you're presenting your point.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 01, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

Neonivek, you never cease to amaze me in how you can say that something is good, and then seamlessly transition into language that suggests to me that you don't think something is good. I'm not saying that you don't think the video is good, but you only brought up points that seem negative. Your thesis at the top of your post doesn't seem to match the language of your post. So it leaves me generally confused as to what you're really trying to say, even though I know you're trying to be explicit in how you're presenting your point.

Ohh I often write the way I am thinking so I was writing as I was listening.

Then he started to question why people were criticising her so avidly and I was like "wait a minute, I was doing that" and he describes it in not so pleasant words and starts to describe the differences between several characters and Anita.

Thus psychologically I had to address it because it wasn't something that I can leave alone as it is dirrectly in conflict with me. (It is "calling me out" so to speak).

Ok that AND I have a bad habit of only being able to talk about something in a way that it is bad even if I like it and think it is actually of great quality... It is probably something I should fix.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:35:50 pm by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 01, 2013, 06:38:58 pm »

Anyway, found a great video on all the Sarkeesian Outrage, and so on. (the beginning touches on the Tomb Raider thing too; it's not as bad as I was initially worried about).

That guy seems to come straight from The Inbetweeners.

It's kinda creeping me out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

That guy seems to come straight from The Inbetweeners.

It's kinda creeping me out.

Too bad it is rubbish because he wasn't actually drinking coffee!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:02 pm »

That's because The Inbetweeners is painfully accurate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:11 pm »

I should probably state that the coffee was a joke, it was related to the video >_>

It is a pretty good video.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----

I keep thinking and I am trying to come up with a game where a male treats a female character in a way that isn't right (by our standards) but who isn't a villain or in a Duke Nukem type game AND that is gender inspired.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:44:46 pm by Neonivek »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

Fun little read from RPS... 'Rock, Paper, Shotgun Apology For Using Female Writers  Not sure if already posted.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:46 pm »

Fun little read from RPS... 'Rock, Paper, Shotgun Apology For Using Female Writers  Not sure if already posted.

I am a bit too sheltered. What exactly is the event they are referring to? I am assuming a respected writer shown that "OMG she a woman!" and the sexism hit the fan?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11:35 pm »

The comments section has only been able to inform me that this controversy is only a small part of the constant downward spiral RPS has been in since the good ol' days.

So yeah, I don't know what's going on either.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:03 pm »

It is a shame that women tend to be discounted in playing videogames, especially the more attractive they are.

I remember one video I saw and the comments were basically "yeah, like she plays games" and I honestly felt like it was projected to her being a woman and her projecting herself as stupid.

Mind you she was a TERRIBLE host anyway because she treated the Camera like it was some sort of photoshoot (She kept posing for the camera... it was weird) but honestly if she were a man I doubt anyone would make that comment.

That guy would still be a terrible TERRIBLE host who keeps posing to the camera like he was a model... but no one would doubt his cred.

It is why the stereotype of the "Gamer Girl" was created (specifically the Female Gamer who feels the need to point attention to the fact that she is the woman) and is utterly annoying. Heck one episode of CSI, I think it was CSI, where one of the bad guys was a girl who was killing people so that she "could be one of the guys" and I could only groan.

I know I live in a relative bubble with a lot of really progressive people... but the way I feel there is no need for a female to EVER need to 'prove women can be good at videogames too'. Is it really that bad a few steps outside my neighborhood?

and YET whenever a woman who isn't relatively unattractive shows interest in videogames it is "Ohh they don't play videogames". DANG IT WORLD!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:23:26 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 277