Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303922 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2013, 02:57:10 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:44:21 pm by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:38 am »

Is there a reason that the guy is wearing a Chainmail Banana Hammock that shows off his endowment? Or do you just want to show off his package?
Can't it be both?

Why certainly. I am sure that Bayonetta was made because they wanted a hypersexual female protagonist.

However sexual sexualised female characters are pretty far in the minority.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2013, 02:59:39 am »

Maybe you just want to show of his 'swordsmenship'?  :P  :P
If there was a game where the female cast all wore pretty much normal clothing, and the guys were all in underwear, I wouldn't mind at all. What I do mind is that people would find this strange, or offsetting, or even sexist, and not bat an eye when this same thing happens to female characters in a lot of games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2013, 03:02:34 am »

Well I can't really speak for myself since I've pretty much absolutely hated it in every game I played and have said I hated it publically and openly even on these boards.

Heck Ivy was the most disapointing thing I ever experienced in terms of this since I played in the Arcades where they used her Pirate costume (to censor her obviously) which looked cool and made her seem very intimidating.

But I bought the game it was based on and Ivy's costume was... a Purple Latex Dominatrix outfit. Which looked stupid.

Heck I am not even someone who, at the time, noticed breast sizes (I actually watched an episode of Student bodies where a character actually gets her breasts larger by wearing a wonder bra... I didn't even notice) and frankly I still don't but Taki had Balloons stuffed in her Leotards.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:04:56 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2013, 03:04:32 am »

I'm pretty sure that was actually the look they were going for...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2013, 03:06:39 am »

I'm pretty sure that was actually the look they were going for...

Other then her using a Sword Whip, her personality and backstory makes her pirate costume much more appropriate, as well as being more capable for the environments the game takes place in.

Her Dominatrix costume however makes no sense, doesn't match her personality as dictated by the story, and works against her competence as a character.

Plus her Breast size increases every single game she is in... Same with... nearly all the characters with 4 being the worst.

It was one of the sources that helped me form the idea of "Sexualisation against a character".

With anime making me realise that most sexualised characters are not sexual characters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:11:25 am by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2013, 03:12:11 am »

But I bought the game it was based on and Ivy's costume was... a Purple Latex Dominatrix outfit. Which looked stupid.
Of course Soul Caliber goes all of the way the other direction as well; what with Voldo and his outfit of leather straps, which as far as I can tell has nothing to do with being a tomb guardian. (That guy always gave me the creeps, not because of his outfit, but because of the boneless way that he moved. Ugh.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:14:36 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2013, 03:13:44 am »

Putting males in loincloths seems like an awesome equalizer to me. But they should deobjectify men a bit to balance that out. For example, have you noticed how male characters are all ridiculously muscular? They should be made to look more like real-life men, ie beer gut, moobs and maybe a bit of a neckbeard.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14:26 am »

In Voldo's defense his depiction is meant to envoke what he is. With his sexualisation supposed to "freak out" the characters because Voldo, IS a freek with his clothes matching the nature of his existance.

There is also a Shirtless character in Soul Calibur but once again, the fact that he is shirtless matches his hot headed personality (So busy attacking, he cares not for defense).

Talim wears very little, though she is hardly sexualised until the 4th where they make her clothes see through and the spanking throw, but she is a priestess of the wind and thus her clothes are light.

Ivy is certainly not a dominatrix.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:19:18 am by Neonivek »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2013, 03:19:46 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:44:42 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:03 am »

I always liked Voldo. Not in a sexual way, but I kind of idolize his agility and dexterity. Being able to dance like that is pretty awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:58 am »

I always liked Voldo. Not in a sexual way, but I kind of idolize his agility and dexterity. Being able to dance like that is pretty awesome.
Your movie is blocked in the US and in Germany as well.  :-\
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2013, 03:27:32 am »

Seriously?
Ok go find some way to watch Voldo Dance 4. The Jackson one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:48 am »

That was simultaneously one of the coolest and most horrifying things I have witnessed.  :o

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 29, 2013, 03:43:54 am »

So how does boob-plate compare to the way wears a tight t-shirt while fighting a biohazard that is actively trying to murder him. Not to mention his biceps, which are so big they have their own Facebook page.

To quote Wikipedia: "Video games tend to show men as big in all aspects. They are portrayed as being tall, having larger heads, and more muscles than real men. For instance, men in video games have chests that are about 2 inches (6%) larger than in reality, heads that are about 13 inches bigger, waists that are 5 inches wider, and hips that are 7 inches wider." I think this is outrageous and unbelievably sexist.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 277