Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302746 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »

Because this is a scam and may have always been a scam, and everyone is either too blinded by her handle on the situation or too embarrassed to admit that.

Look, I don't even understand why you hate this lady so much. But it really feels like you do, and that you're the one being blinded here. It's like with the FTL people - they delivered the game exactly as promised. Was that a scam? Because they passed their funding goal? I don't think so. It's just how business works.

Regardless, you aren't even arguing about anything thread relevant - you are arguing about kickstarter. We have a thread for that. Go bitch there. Here, maybe we can actually talk about the Tropes series?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »

Look, I don't even understand why you hate this lady so much. But it really feels like you do, and that you're the one being blinded here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Regardless, you aren't even arguing about anything thread relevant - you are arguing about kickstarter. We have a thread for that. Go bitch there. Here, maybe we can actually talk about the Tropes series?
I am arguing about the project as a whole (including the money that went to it), and I never insulted you, so I'd appreciate the same curtsey.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:05 pm »

This isn't an act of charity, it's crowdfunding.

Okay. Here's why I posted that.

You're saying that it's a scam because she should have put money into other things.

I'm saying that you're essentially doing what that lady in the comic is doing by saying that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 10:16:28 pm »

Not exactly an apt analogy.
The guy in that comic was making the donation, not being donated to.

It is like if I said that if everybody gives me $5 each, I will use it to buy food for starving children, but some people give me $10. I only ever asked for $5, so what do I do with the other five? Do I pocket it because they chose to give me more than what I needed for the proposed project?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »

How do you know she won't?
Because it has been well over a year. Because she's said nothing to indicate that at all. Because this is a scam and may have always been a scam, and everyone is either too blinded by her handle on the situation or too embarrassed to admit that.

Are you sure it isn't the people crying "Scam!" that aren't too blinded or embarrassed to admit it was never a scam?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:54 pm »

Because this is a scam and may have always been a scam, and everyone is either too blinded by her handle on the situation or too embarrassed to admit that.

Assertions make for poor arguments...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:38 pm »

I am arguing about the project as a whole (including the money that went to it), and I never insulted you, so I'd appreciate the same curtsey.
I really just... I dunno, man. I feel sorry for you. I think I've made it pretty clear in my history on the board that I'm generally fine with contrary conclusions that are well reasoned, and that I can't stand bullshit justifications. But this, man, I don't even think you realize what you're doing. The arguments you are making are, in many ways, the exact sort of reason a lot of people backed this project, and why most of those people are fine with her "just pocketing the money". And I get the feeling that you just, literally, honestly and truly do not understand how that could work.

So I'm out. There's no argument to be had here. Just lots of bad blood.

Meanwhile, on more meaningful topics tangentially related...
Has anyone been following the "swap roles in classic video games" trend lately? I feel like they were, in part, inspired by this series, and they are seriously pretty awesome. I've seen the original Donkey Kong and the original Legend of Zelda so far, and I think it's really cool. Shame it's illegal. :/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

It is like if I said that if everybody gives me $5 each, I will use it to buy food for starving children, but some people give me $10. I only ever asked for $5, so what do I do with the other five? Do I pocket it because they chose to give me more than what I needed for the proposed project?

Better analogy:

You have a machine that breaks when you put $5 in there. You have a kickstarter to break it. You raise $10. What are you going to do with the rest? If you pocket the rest, is it a scam?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »

Assertions make for poor arguments...
That's not meant to be the argument of my post, that's just for emphasis and a voice to my frustration. My argument is that it has been way too long for us to expect her to one day say "Oh, hey, and about the 150,000 that didn't go into the videos...."

That money is pretty clearly long gone.
You have a machine that breaks when you put $5 in there. You have a kickstarter to break it. You raise $10. What are you going to do with the rest? If you pocket the rest, is it a scam?
That's not really a valid analogy either. This whole thing is about sexist stereotypes in video games, which is not so narrow that the only thing that can be done with the money is a video series.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »

Here's another thing kindof related. It was on reddit a few days or so ago.

http://imgur.com/r/gaming/zwyRWCa
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

Has anyone been following the "swap roles in classic video games" trend lately? I feel like they were, in part, inspired by this series, and they are seriously pretty awesome. I've seen the original Donkey Kong and the original Legend of Zelda so far, and I think it's really cool. Shame it's illegal. :/

Is it a trend? I know about the father who hacked iirc Windwaker and Donkey Kong for his daughter but didn't know more people were doing it. Cool if they are.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »

Yea, pretty much! What do you do with the other $5?
I mean does kickstarter have a 'stop here' button that ensures people can't donate past your limit?
Otherwise, perhaps there is another machine that needs breaking that you can give the money to.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:59 pm »

I didn't realize he'd done Windwaker as well. The Legend of Zelda people were a different group, I think.

Here's another thing kindof related. It was on reddit a few days or so ago.
http://imgur.com/r/gaming/zwyRWCa
Related to the current derail, not the thread. We DO have a thread for that, though. (Kickstarters gone Wrong)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:08 pm »

I think it also ties in to feminism and video games too, which is why I posted it.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2013, 10:33:07 pm »

. . . In the same way that mass murderers tie into video games, maybe.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 277