Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304396 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #795 on: April 06, 2013, 03:29:02 am »

How is having female characters in the same proportion as male characters "special rights."

Perhaps the bad communities have something to do with women's desire to even keep on trying with game communities in general.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #796 on: April 06, 2013, 03:31:37 am »

How is having female characters in the same proportion as male characters "special rights."
Depends how it gets there. If you go around with a quota that has to be met you are creating female characters for the sake of it.

Being represented in a realistic manner is not "special rights".
That's not what I'm talking about.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 06, 2013, 03:34:59 am »

Why do virtually all corny action movies have male protagonists? Are they not marketed to women because there's no demand, or is it that there's no demand because women can't identify with Rambo because he's played by a male actor? On the flipside, are men not into Bridget Jones books just because the protagonist is female?

But seriously, why the hell is it so awful that games about violence are mostly marketed towards men? And why is it fault of some kind of global conspiracy if women are less interested in such games? And what's up with the attitude that macho things like indiscriminate murder sprees are superior to girly things like gardening?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 06, 2013, 03:36:49 am »

Why do virtually all corny action movies have male protagonists? Are they not marketed to women because there's no demand, or is it that there's no demand because women can't identify with Rambo because he's played by a male actor? On the flipside, are men not into Bridget Jones books just because the protagonist is female?

But seriously, why the hell is it so awful that games about violence are mostly marketed towards men? And why is it fault of some kind of global conspiracy if women are less interested in such games? And what's up with the attitude that macho things like indiscriminate murder sprees are superior to girly things like gardening?
I kinda want to see a female version of Rambo now.
*pops back out*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 06, 2013, 03:37:06 am »

Nobody said anything about a conspiracy.

Nobody actually had that attitude.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 06, 2013, 03:37:48 am »

*pops back out*
Look, I think it is a pretty safe bet that he isn't leaving.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 06, 2013, 03:38:21 am »

Ah, I understand!  Folks just happen to disproportionately create male characters and place them in the lead, and that has nothing to do with special rights.  Cool!  You have me convinced.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #802 on: April 06, 2013, 03:38:34 am »

And what's up with the attitude that macho things like indiscriminate murder sprees are superior to girly things like gardening?
Gardening? Girly? What?

*pops back out*
Look, I think it is a pretty safe bet that he isn't leaving.
I don't know, there's a popcorn trail...

Ah, I understand!  Folks just happen to disproportionately create male characters and place them in the lead, and that has nothing to do with special rights.  Cool!  You have me convinced.
Yep!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 06, 2013, 03:39:34 am »

Hint: that was the 99%.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #804 on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:19 am »

The what now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:43 am »

Sarcasm.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:00 am »

Hint: that was the 99%.

I thought it was 90% :P

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:13 am »

Gardening? Girly? What?
I know a lot more women who play Farmville type games than I know men who do. So yeah, clearly there is some pink bows and chocolate cakes going on there to keep men out of this genre.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 06, 2013, 03:43:55 am »

I thought it was 90% :P

That was also the 99.9%.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 06, 2013, 03:46:07 am »

Gardening? Girly? What?
I know a lot more women who play Farmville type games than I know men who do. So yeah, clearly there is some pink bows and chocolate cakes going on there to keep men out of this genre.
On the other hand, I know lots more men than women who do actual gardening.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 277