Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302993 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3870 on: September 17, 2014, 01:45:05 am »

Her attempt at a critique at video games, is deeply flawed. If you want to examine gender roles in video games. Cool. That can actually be very interesting and insightful, however she trying to suggest that most video games use woman poorly, when (and shooting from the hip here) most video games are gender agnostic.

So you would need to limit your scope to games where the gender of the characters actually matter, and that is a very small list. It gets smaller, the further back in video game history you get, especially since older games are just far more abstracted then todays game.

Beside that, her game selection... is sloppy and how she applies her tropes leave something to be desired. Like her video on Saving the Princess, Rescue the Damsel story.

I dont really like her applied definition there. I think a much better one, would be if the game protagonist lost their call to adventure if the damsel was removed and the damsel itself needed to be the primary reward.

But fine, lets let go of that too.

Then we have her game selection, her critique on story, is Double Dragon. A game where the two main leads are named Jimmy and Bimmy. Its like deciding to examine how woman are used in literature, and breaking down the hidden depth of See Dick Run. Its hard to examine a story of a video game, when the video game itself, hardly has one. Its like jumping in a puddle and claiming you're a deep sea diver.

She just annoying. She decided that her few months in playing some games, and having folks play games on her behalf, gives her depth of knowledge and context to judge the medium. It just doesn't.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: September 17, 2014, 02:34:03 am »

I am guessing that while you are saying that MrWiggles just to clarify. That someone could make the exact same video she is trying to do, with the same general tone, but make it more insightful with examples that don't break down when you think about them?

Also when is her 5th video gonna be finished? >_<

Are we honestly still at 4? I cannot really comment on video 4 or go all in because they are part of a set with video 5 and video 6...

At times I honestly don't know why we harp on her so much. So she couldn't make a feminist video on videogames worth any amount of attention and that is worth very little when it comes to actual depth of knowledge or understanding so long as you can grasp even the most basic amount of human decency? I mean, couldn't we just accept that she is bad at making videos and talk about the very same issues free from the constraints of this constant Anita and her video bashing?

I mean sure she is overpaid to do this, she has been thrust to a position of authority to the point where she is now in the news about whatever claim she makes about a videogame, and her opinions are being used by others as inherently correct claims... But those are just aggravations... Lets just forget about Anita Sarkeesian, she just isn't very good and doesn't speak for anyone but herself and really people who aren't her are forcing her into your face it isn't like she asks people to.

WOW I am sleep deprived, I am going to sleep.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:44:44 am by Neonivek »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: September 17, 2014, 02:39:59 am »

I can't help but feel that she wants you to think about them, and I can't help but feel that this video series is going to be used as basis for opinion. So yes, video series that has actual depth. Or at least a better job at appearing to have depth.
----
And this one, I just realized, is that she apply western story tropes to Japanese games. Thats just fucking bonkers.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:02 am »

Also when is her 5th video gonna be finished? >_<

Are we honestly still at 4? I cannot really comment on video 4 or go all in because they are part of a set with video 5 and video 6...

Do you mean #6? Because #5 released.. probably towards the end of August.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: September 17, 2014, 03:10:50 am »

At times I honestly don't know why we harp on her so much. So she couldn't make a feminist video on videogames worth any amount of attention and that is worth very little when it comes to actual depth of knowledge or understanding so long as you can grasp even the most basic amount of human decency? I mean, couldn't we just accept that she is bad at making videos and talk about the very same issues free from the constraints of this constant Anita and her video bashing?

I mean sure she is overpaid to do this, she has been thrust to a position of authority to the point where she is now in the news about whatever claim she makes about a videogame, and her opinions are being used by others as inherently correct claims... But those are just aggravations... Lets just forget about Anita Sarkeesian, she just isn't very good and doesn't speak for anyone but herself and really people who aren't her are forcing her into your face it isn't like she asks people to.

WOW I am sleep deprived, I am going to sleep.
She has decided to make a career on this subject, unless nother forceful personality displaces her with either more flashy empty carbs, or maybe actual substance, her videos will be the basis for anti video game opinion and stances. Which means, that if you value video games, are invested in them, beyond just playing them, then you have to be familiar with her works because, they're going to be shoved in your face, and presumed authoritative. A trump card. The 'Nazi did it' of video game game conversation enders.

The fact is, for Anita, I dont think there is the ability for video games  to be gender balance, if that phrase is even remotely correct. Which means that video games can only stop hurting woman by no longer existing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: September 17, 2014, 06:05:48 am »

Meh, people talked about this topic long before Anita and they will long after.

Most of this thread (at least while I still frequented it) has been less about her and more just a host for the feminist debates that keep cropping up in Bay12.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:55 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxqSwzFy5w&feature=share

Halleluia. A video that 100% summarise my opinion on the whole affair.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »

Yeah I was just sleep deprived.

Also thanks for the video Phmcw.

I am not saying I'd have no objection to it, but instead of me saying that "Ohh well this is a terribly made video" it would just be differing of opinions.

There is a HUGE difference between the philosophy of the Factual Feminist and Feminist Frequency and it shows. It is a good demonstration that not all feminism is alike.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: September 17, 2014, 02:57:23 pm »

Good lord, not this REEL FEMINISM crap again.

Go back to saying typical cringe-inducing soulsucking shit that makes me not want to post again, because calling a right-wing U.S. think tank shill "feminism" or somehow praiseworthy (again) is a level of hilariously wrong that it needs to be responded to.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: September 17, 2014, 02:59:09 pm »

Good lord, not this REEL FEMINISM crap again.

Go back to saying typical cringe-inducing soulsucking shit that makes me not want to post again, because calling a right-wing U.S. think tank shill "feminism" or somehow praiseworthy (again) is a level of hilariously wrong that it needs to be responded to.

Yes because you see there is this degree of feminism a sort of bar you see that you need to pass in order to be feminist. :P

Assuming you are speaking about Factual Feminist... unless you are saying that the AEI is a feminist organization in name only.

Which so far seems to be just about the "factual" part of her name... and Given she is like "Sex and violence is A-OK" that is pretty far from Right-Wing. (well ok Right wing is FOR violence but only for War and on the streets, not in media)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:39:31 pm by Neonivek »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: September 17, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »

Have any of you guys followed the #GamerGate thing? I know this topic's not really about it, but I don't want to make a whole new one, and Sarkeesian's been tweeting about it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 17, 2014, 04:44:21 pm »

Have any of you guys followed the #GamerGate thing? I know this topic's not really about it, but I don't want to make a whole new one, and Sarkeesian's been tweeting about it.

No, but can you fill us in?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3882 on: September 17, 2014, 04:49:05 pm »

If it's like Zoegate then don't fill us in.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: September 17, 2014, 04:50:59 pm »

It is Zoegate, at least as far as I can tell.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: September 17, 2014, 04:54:59 pm »

Oh, this is what the Zoegate thing morphed into. I didn't realize it had a new name. "Social justice warriors are taking over gaming" basically. (int) magicmissile started talking about this right before he got banned.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 277