Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303690 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3030 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:52 pm »

@Vector: To be fair, the character also clearly isn't the majority of the races you get to pick from.
Although yes, it's not exactly right, considering [spoilers not included], so it would have been better if they made some sort of effort to completely conceal your character's identity.
Also, good luck. Some do the bosses are... Awfully overpowered unless you grind for a bit. Although I don't have a particularly good set of armor, so that probably doesn't help. Nor the fact that I've been playing a rogue.

Yeah, these are basically my post to watch.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:49:15 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »

No matter what you want to change the name to it still needs to be snappy and "Person in distress" is too wordy.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: June 25, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »

...it's the same number of syllables as Damsel in Distress.

If the trope wasn't applied to females so often it wouldn't be a problem, but...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: June 25, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »

...it's the same number of syllables as Damsel in Distress.

If the trope wasn't applied to females so often it wouldn't be a problem, but...

Have you ever called a woman, even a princess-like person a Damsel? Ever? But as I said it is just me.

It isn't the syllables it is how harsh "Person" is on the tongue. It kills the flow dead. Denzel in Distress works I will admit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: June 25, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »

@Vector: To be fair, the character also clearly isn't the majority of the races you get to pick from.
Although yes, it's not exactly right, considering [spoilers not included], so it would have been better if they made some sort of effort to completely conceal your character's identity.
Also, good luck. Some do the bosses are... Awfully overpowered unless you grind for a bit. Although I don't have a particularly good set of armor, so that probably doesn't help. Nor the fact that I've playing a rogue.

Thanks. And good point on the race thing, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: June 25, 2014, 03:03:31 pm »

As a funny aside, Steam is having a vote between two sets of games as part of the silly summer sale nonsense.  "Pixel Graphics - Hardcore' vs "Story Rich - Female Protagonist"

The four games Steam chose to represent all female-protagonist games with rich stories?
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Gone Home
The Walking Dead Season Two

I don't know about Gone Home of The Walking Dead, but the first two made me laugh.
Not that Mass Effect didn't provide a great female-protagonist experience, just that it was practically equivalent to the male-protagonist experience.

About their use of male-shep in promotional materials, I can't really blame them for choosing a single character.  For ME3 they did showcase fem-shep as well to some extent.

As for Thief, I never really thought about it much, but that one guy really is a bit of a damsel.  He even
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and never comes up again.

I don't see anything wrong with Person In Distress, though.  "Damsel" is clearly a female term, and I'm not sure everyone knows to use it gender-neutrally in this context.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: June 25, 2014, 03:08:59 pm »

I'm starting to think Rolepgeek is just trolling.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: June 25, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »

We do, we do call him the Damsel. The difference is that "Someone who gets kidnapped" isn't automatically a damsel, they have to be kind of kidnapping prone or kidnapped from the getgo.
The character in Thief, we never hear about or see him before being captured, nor does he do anything in the plot. His entire existence in the game is summed up being in distress and rescued by the protagonist.

So, he's clearly filling a "damsel" role in the game: he has no other existence or point.

Oh, that actually reminded me of Agent Smith from Hitman. He doesn't have any purpose except being rescued (and in Blood Money technically being a mission-giver in one of the later missions as well). Literally, every single time you meet him he is captured or is going to be unless you help him. He also shows up in all except the latest game.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: June 25, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »

Have you ever called a woman, even a princess-like person a Damsel? Ever? But as I said it is just me.

It isn't the syllables it is how harsh "Person" is on the tongue. It kills the flow dead. Denzel in Distress works I will admit.

Guys, Neonivek just invented the best trope.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:04 pm »

Guys, Neonivek just invented the best trope.

Sounds more like a meme, advice animal-style.

I, personally, mentally used 'guysel' for male damsels.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »

I'm starting to think Rolepgeek is just trolling.

Instead of making a sarcastic retort combining my history on the forums, the suggestion that you're calling me such simply because it allows you to dismiss my opinion out of hand by claiming I am a troll and thus my opinion is simply engineered to create the most controversy, and the time I've taken on some of these posts that pretty clearly show I'm not a troll, I'm simply going to tell you the following.

That you suggest such offends me, and I am surprised you would do such a thing. I expected better of you, Sheb, and I hope you realize if I had been in a less benign mood when I read your post, this could have eaily escalated into a flame war, as such posts encite the sort of thing. It is the worst sort of ad hominem, especially when I am already frustrated with my own difficulties in making my points and opinions in a reasonable matter that explain my thought process and viewpoint sufficiently.

Also: Denzel in Distress actually sounds really good; props to you, Neonivek, even with our differing perspectives. :p
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #3041 on: June 25, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »

Rolep, I'll be honest here, you have been posting things which have been escalatory. (Not a word, but you do get the meaning, right?)

Not flamey, but headed towards that area.

Yes, I get what you're saying, and I've been trying to avoid that(at least when I'm thinking about it).

I get frustrated when I feel like I can't explain my viewpoints satisfactorily.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:34 pm »

Rolep, I'll be honest here, you have been posting things which have been escalatory. (Not a word, but you do get the meaning, right?)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/escalatory

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: June 25, 2014, 04:45:05 pm »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/escalatory

Well that explanated quickly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: June 25, 2014, 04:48:52 pm »

Yeah, that, and some other passage that sounded very trollish like "I never player Mass Effect, but it must be sexist because Sheppard is a male name" (Yeah, I am gorssly simplifying your post, I agree with you actually, it's just the argument is... trollish).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 277