Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 199826 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 2
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2013, 10:13:09 am »

@Ottofar: ...I guess I get that, but then judging by the process of thought, you're alive mostly because of your different D1 start pattern - I guess.

Anyway, we'd be testing days off on people just for two candles per day so we should make our guessing count. If my hypothesis is correct - scum can manipulate two candles per night to their leisure given the circumstances. So let's just hope doing this one on Soli resurrects him. White - Life, and on th safe side, attributing the same people patterns @ D1 start to the current ones. If Toaster's Green = Power, the mine, Ranger, Nerjin, Dar, Onyx and Ford may have the same pattern though different Gods.

Ottofar and Vector seem tied in their candle ideology (and I'm guessing your god is Avos complementing Vector's Derala?)
NQT and Remuthra are the next couple with only the white lit, like Solifuge; Toaster, no other change to you but your power, then?

Aaaand there's Okami with all candles lit.

As Solifuge's white candle is going to be lit at the end of this day, I really really propose that we'd try another alternative. Snuffing Okami's would seem sound - given that he's the odd one out and all. Testing the Teal candles are also a viable option (I'm against common characteristics so I'm not lighting any of those in the common pool above except for Toaster)
and I'm still thinking that Teal candle represents something regarding life seeing as Otto wasn't comatose'd.

...That, or the colors mean nothing at all other than either aesthetics, or different schools of powers related to the gods and to lynch someone off, all candles must be unlit. This I can partly stand by.

Hmm. I promised Solifuge that I'd relight his white and I feel like some of you are moving the goalposts now. We haven't yet tried relighting a snuffed white and this is something we should try and discover.

Mod, can I double-vote? If so:

Light Solifuge White
Light Solifuge White

...IIRC, you can't double vote.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:42 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Light Dariush Teal: Dariush
Light Ottofar White: Toaster
Light Solifuge Green: Captain Ford, Dariush, Okami No Rei, Ottofar, RangerCado, Remuthra
Light Solifuge Teal: Captain Ford, Ottofar, Remuthra
Light Solifuge White: notquitethere, Onyxjew944, Tiruin, Toaster, Vector
Light Toaster Teal: Okami No Rei, Tiruin

High Priest: Do we have any knowledge of the "powers" of the Twin Gods followers? If so, are we allowed this knowledge during this test from Telmorin and his holy children?

"That all depends on what their gods have seen fit to grant them. Whatever they can do, you may be assured that they are dangerous."

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Thursday

Meph:
1. Can you give us some more background on Morasadis? What do we know about the gods they worship? Why is there war between us?
2. Why would they be interested in infiltrating our temple? What do they have to gain? What do we have to lose? ("What are the stakes?" I guess)
3. Have we ever caught traitors from Morasadis in this temple before? Do we know what they were after, and what techniques they used?
4. What do we know about the gods of Morasadis and what distinguishes them from our own?

Morasadis and Lomonth share a common border, and Morasadis is the only nation that directly borders the penninsula nation of Lomonth. While their wars have generally been over issues of land, resources, trade rights, and the like there is also a religious component. The Twin Gods of Morasadis demand that all worship them and that heathen faiths must be stomped out. There is also a Prophecy that states that the Priest-King of Morasadis will one day conquer Lamonth and that will be the start of the Golden Age of Morasadis. Many Priest-Kings have attempted to bring this about to show their worth to the gods and their people. They have all failed.

Spies infiltrating so high into the temple is an exceedingly rare event. It is likely that they are subtly sabatoging affairs to make the Lamonthian priests look less reliable in the eyes of the people. A situation like this one has never happened before, and you do not know what might have triggered a test like this.

The Twin Gods of Morasadis are split between the Creator and the Destroyer. The Creator holds the powers Light, Life, and the creation of all things. The Destroyer holds the powers of darkness, death, and all things destructive. Everything is ultimately split between the two of them. Their Priests tend to devote their lives to the service of one or another, with only a rare few serving both equally. It is a mark of his Divinity that the Priest-King can do so without drawing Ire from either god. In general, the Lomonthian gods are different because they are more personal. The Twin Gods hold all power in that Pantheon, but rarely deal with mortals and only the prayers of Priests can be heard. The Lomonthian pantheon, on the other hand, has the Gods directly dealing with and blessing individuals. Someone from Morasadis would see thier gods more as distant rulers, vast and terrible and not something you generally want paying attention to you. The Lomonthian people see their gods more as family. Powerful family members who need to be respected and obeyed, but still family that ultimately has their best interests at heart.

Mod, can I double-vote?

No.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »

Dariush, rudeness is unbecoming. I promised to relight Solifuge's white candle so that's what I'm doing.

Snuff Dariush's White Candle- we can relight your green tomorrow.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »

PFP
Vector: It occurred to me this morning that you having an inspection ability for specific candles also implies that they don't all work the same.

Also, you didn't say it explicitly, but you implied that you got another message from your god this morning. I'm guessing you decided not to share it yet?

Tiruin:
Why are you agreeing with Ottofar?
I was actually agreeing with Dariush (whom Ottofar also agreed with).

Ottofar surviving with his white candle snuffed seems to indicate that white candles don't correspond directly to life. What we don't know is whether Ottofar's teal candle is his "life candle", or if it's simply that all one's candles need to be out in order for someone to be incapacitated.

If we light either his green or teal candle, and he revives, then it proves that:
A) His white candle was not directly tied to his life

If we light either his green or teal candle, and he doesn't revive, then it means either:
A) His white candle is directly tied to his life or
B) He can't be revived

Hmm...the only flaw with the experiment is that if he doesn't revive, we don't really know why. Also, he's still "dead".

The upshot is that if he does revive, he might have gained an ability as well. I suppose it means we're gambling with his life for information and a potential ability. I'm not entirely sure how comfortable I am with that.

There's the possibility that things might change enough between today and tomorrow that reviving him may no longer be something we can afford to worry about. I don't want him to be left behind, but ...

Well, the potential gain may outweigh the risks. (I'm still weighing it. I think it needs to be discussed further)

Okami:
The fact that Okami has no role abilities (or he's lying) with all candles lit seems to contradict the idea that more candles lit is strictly better.
Where'd you get that idea?  I've already said that I do have a role ability.
Wow...I could have sworn...

*scratches head* Man, this game is hella confusing for some reason.

Okay, I whipped this up to help me keep track of all the information going around. Hopefully this will help us all get on the same page.

I'm probably missing half the stuff people have stated. Please let me know what I'm missing and I'll update it.

NQT:
Dariush, rudeness is unbecoming. I promised to relight Solifuge's white candle so that's what I'm doing.

Snuff Dariush's White Candle- we can relight your green tomorrow.
You're confused. Dariush's candles have never been affected.

Also, what if lighting Soli's white candle doesn't revive him? What if lighting his green candle does and grants him an ability?

I'd like to see an honest assessment from you about the risks and possible payoffs.

...more coming.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 17, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »

I owe this game a post, but I can barely read anything more than three lines without all the words running together.  Hopefully I can knock one out in the morning.

Tiruin:  Right.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:22 pm »

No, I was just getting confirmation on the wording from my night action.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 17, 2013, 02:51:06 pm »

PFP

pre-emptive Extend

I see that Vector explicitly claimed Derala, I've already added that to my spreadsheet.

Dariush:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part of the rationale for lighting his white candle was to prove that people can be revived at all by lighting candles. If we light another candle and he doesn't revive, we won't know if it's because only his white candle controls that or if he just can't be revived by lighting candles.

Put another way, how confident are you that he'll be revived?

Tiruin: Have you talked about what your ability did to Solifuge anywhere? Is there any reason from your perspective why not lighting Solifuge's white candle would fail to revive him?

Vector: Err ... right. I was thinking you were getting those PMs once per night.

Obviously not, since you got the first one during the first day.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 17, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

Ford:
Part of the rationale for lighting his white candle was to prove that people can be revived at all by lighting candles. If we light another candle and he doesn't revive, we won't know if it's because only his white candle controls that or if he just can't be revived by lighting candles.

By that logic, if you light the white candle and he does come back, you won't know if it's the white candle or any candle that does it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 17, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

Yeah, I think I got a notice from my god.  I have no idea what triggered that, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

PFP
By that logic, if you light the white candle and he does come back, you won't know if it's the white candle or any candle that does it.
Yeah. But then he's alive. There's something to be said for that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 17, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »

Something good or bad?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 17, 2013, 04:50:47 pm »

Good.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:33 pm »

To expand on that now that I'm home: It's "good" because Solifuge alive is what I want to happen. As to whether or not it's beneficial in the game itself ... I can't answer that.

If I thought he was scum, I wouldn't hesitate to leave him to rot. But I don't know that, and he volunteered for a test. It's only right that we honor our end of the bargain. (I didn't actually vote to snuff his candle I guess, but it still wouldn't feel right to leave him behind).

I'm voting for his green and teal in the hope that he comes back and gains a useful ability. The evidence from Ottofar losing his white seems to suggest that lighting any one of his candles will bring him back, and granting him a new ability seems worthwhile.

I'm truly not certain whether or not he's scum. I need to see more from him first, and I can't do that while he's dead.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 17, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »

Busy busy busy...

Light Solifuge White

Light DariushTeal

Solifuge because I figure we may as well find out if a white candle coming back on a dead player brings them back. Granted with Ottofar... I dunno. I'm having trouble thinking of why he is different... I dunno.

Dariush's teal is because I want to see what happens if a teal is lit. Hopefully it's not as someone suggested, a way to make more scum.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

Nerjin: Vector has claimed what her teal candle did from an inspection result. Did you not notice or do you not believe it?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 108