Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 200088 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 1
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »

Wow, a lot's happened already.

First off, if granting abilities is indeed what one (or both) of those candles do, why are we so eager to hand out new abilities? Doesn't that seem a little risky to anyone?

Like Remuthra, I also have Avos as my god. But unlike Remuthra, I have an ability called Strength.

My flavor was similar to what Solifuge said in his first post: I'm closet to Avos, as he was the one I started with when I first joined. Separate flavor indicates I feel his presence right now.

Lighting Remuthra's green candle would be a good way to test if that's what's giving me my ability.

To the High Priest/Meph: Can the traitors draw strength from one of our gods?

Can we cast a vote to oppose lighting/snuffing a candle?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »

Oh, great. Nerjin's last vote completely broke the LurkerTracker.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Light Dariush Teal: Dariush, Nerjin
Light Onyxjew944 Teal: Solifuge
Light Remuthra Green: Okami No Rei
Light Remuthra Teal: Okami No Rei, Tiruin
Light Vector Green: Nerjin, notquitethere, Ottofar, Tiruin, Vector

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Thursday

To the High Priest/Meph: Can the traitors draw strength from one of our gods?

Can we cast a vote to oppose lighting/snuffing a candle?

You must determine the truth of the test for yourselves. You can only vote for which candles you want effected, you cannot simply oppose a change.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 03:31:16 pm »

Hmm...well, there we go then.

I wonder if there might be powers in the game that can affect the disks. (If only because they were mentioned explicitly)

It's interesting that the high priest specifically said that nothing can affect the candles except our votes. Either he's mistaken, we can be killed without the candles being affected, or the scumteam can't kill people directly. (or the white candles don't have anything to do with life after all)

I try to lift up my disk and look underneath it

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

Onyx
I assuming White means life. I can easily confirm or deny that at the end of the Night. Reasons obvious.
...The first thought I've got was that you've a kill. Why are the reasons obvious?
My apologies, I forgot this was a bastard game. I thought there would be a kill one way or another by nightfall. I still think there will be, but I am less certain than I was.

Nerjin/Onyx: Die? For...what? Why do you need only one candle lit, Ner, and why do you also claim death Onyx?

Everyone: Why focusing on the colors when nothing has happened? I mean, that's a preferable method, yes, but its scattered. Everyone's symbolizing the colors without asking the Mod/HP. This is a Bastard game, for those newbies out there. It's not a conventional Mafia game.
I said I am willing to die. I do not expect it, as I still believe that the White candles hold life, and the Teal/Green ones are relatively harmless.

Why focus on the colors? A better question is why do you think we shouldn't? The relevant flavor text says the only way to root out the traitors is to solve the riddle of the candles. Therefore they are exactly what we should be focused on, Tiruin. I would vote you, but I don't think it works like that. I would vote to snuff your White, but I don't know if I can remove that pressure vote. So have a few sentences of rant.

Also, does anyone think we should try to snuff someone's White? This probably means death, but ‼SCIENCE‼ and ‼CURIOSITY‼ both demand I at least ask.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »

Solifuge, Vector, Remuthra, NQT, does any of you have a usable power?

Also, I wonder if resurrections are possible, assuming the white candle means life.
Again, nope.
Light My Teal Candle

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »

I'd like to reiterate that I have the same god as Remuthra, and I have a power while he does not.

I also have a green candle lit and he does not. Neither of us have a teal candle lit.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »

PFP (Same for last few posts)

Also, Light Remuthra's Green Candle

Another theory: Perhaps the traitors who follow gods of light/darkness are affected by the total number of candles lit or snuffed out? (Balance of light/darkness) We might want to keep the number of lit candles balanced.

If we can only affect two candles per day, and that's the only way to decide the game, then it seems like the game would proceed very slowly.

...another thing. What if this is like one of those puzzles where changing one light affects the others in some pattern?

I'm cool with having my candles messed with.  I seem to be a VT, so.
What's a VT?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 04:25:51 pm »

Onyx
Why focus on the colors? A better question is why do you think we shouldn't? The relevant flavor text says the only way to root out the traitors is to solve the riddle of the candles. Therefore they are exactly what we should be focused on, Tiruin. I would vote you, but I don't think it works like that. I would vote to snuff your White, but I don't know if I can remove that pressure vote. So have a few sentences of rant.
Understandable defense. I applaud it. I would also like to see my White candle snuffed just to see how it goes.

Now see here. Are you looking more into what kind of method is being used, or just the superficial thoughts regarding the riddle? We're putting a blind statement -- an analogy regarding colors, if you will -- and attributing it to the candles involved. What I guess we should be more focused on is how the pattern relates with itself. Meaning: Stop focusing on the darned colors and what characteristics they may pertain, then attach those characteristics to the colors and focus more on the darn pattern.

Also, you would vote me, but are pretty unsure how it goes despite it being answered in the past pages. What's up there? [You can remove that vote. And you didn't even try? Hmm.]

Tl;dr: I'm against the idea that the Green candle = you've got a power. Because that's silly in the context...Unless the HP is being silly that he himself isn't telling us that our candles are holy and imbued with power (while my power affects candles, it doesn't in anyway give off the impression that the candles are holy...or stuff like that.) But I'm for seeing what would happen given the information presented currently.

What I'm pointing at (and why I'm agreeing with the vote-ish ness) is because several people (not completely, and only a hypothesis) have claimed similar; similar in regard with mostly how their powers are identical and which candles are lit or unlit.

But seeing the previous posts, let's get this summarized. Vector's Green candle is going to be confirmed lit by the end of the day, looking at it. Second place is Remuthra's Teal Candle. The one on Vector is (I guess) based on the hypothesis that a green candle pertains to the person having a power. The Teal...is quite contradicting of each other. What was the main case on that one again? The White one represents life...

...Which means that if everyone focused on the White from now on, we'd get 2 lynches per day. Problem is, we've no darn idea what anything represents and are pulling threads from thin air.

Meph/High Priest: What did you mean by 'power' - the existence of the traitors, or any power that could either affect people/their disk/candle in question? Meph did state that
Only candles are valid targets, and he has no candles for you to vote on. You may move from your disks, but all votes are assumed to be on the disk. If you aren't on your disk when you vote for some reason, it won't take effect.
Meaning, the presence of roleblockers, vote shifters and probable things that may affect the candle light/snuff may be a factor here.

...So many things, so little information. And we can't shorten or lengthen the day.

"...We can't voluntarily leave the disk, can we? Or...switch places on each others' disks, right?"

PPE
PFP (Same for last few posts)

Also, Light Remuthra's Green Candle

Another theory: Perhaps the traitors who follow gods of light/darkness are affected by the total number of candles lit or snuffed out? (Balance of light/darkness) We might want to keep the number of lit candles balanced.

If we can only affect two candles per day, and that's the only way to decide the game, then it seems like the game would proceed very slowly.

...another thing. What if this is like one of those puzzles where changing one light affects the others in some pattern?
Both theories would be real hard to follow...I'm unsure about the latter thing regarding puzzles where changing one affects the rest somehow. I believe the candles are like switches -- static in their state. Either on, or off. Y'know, disregarding our laws of physics/thermodynamics to simplify this.

On the first, recounting:
We've 24 lit candles. We've 15 unlit candles.
We've 39 candles in total, arranged in White, Green and Teal in a concentric pattern around the High Priest. Our disks are before the white candles, and in between them and the HP.
All 12 white candles are lit.
Out of the Green candles, 8 are lit, 5 are unlit.
Out of the Teal candles, 3 are lit, 10 are unlit.

...On a weird tangent, I'm seeing the unlit candles in bundles of 5... Anyway.

Why do you want to keep the lit candles balanced? Its a FAR stretch, and there would be no equilibrium as our total is 39. You'd have to halve a candle for that.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

Why do you want to keep the lit candles balanced? Its a FAR stretch, and there would be no equilibrium as our total is 39. You'd have to halve a candle for that.
It was the logical conclusion of the theory it was attached to. That and turning on everyone's powers blindly might not be the best idea. We could awaken a sleeping giant.

Of course, that's assuming that the candles actually do affect powers, and that it works the same for everybody.

Meph: Does this game run in a day/night cycle?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 04:48:10 pm »

PFP
Of course, that's assuming that the candles actually do affect powers, and that it works the same for everybody.
Why I believe its silly.

PM states that I believe. Believing in things isn't affected by candles. Even if those candles do represent our persona, I find it real hard to believe that snuffing/lighting any single one of them would give us powers at all (but in the case of them being holy candles and then affecting the state of affairs as they are linked to the Gods themselves, that's something to be thought of. But...then why is the HP in his current state...)

Apologies for bad grammar if any, sleepy and work soon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 04:56:09 pm »

Snuff Solifuge's White Candle

Back me up here, if you would. I have no candles but White lit, so it's a good test of what having no candles lit means, in case these aren't binary states as they seem. I agree that White being Life seems pretty obvious, but it might be a red-herring for the sake of the puzzle. Given that I don't have a power role (at least right now) I feel fairly safe in this.

Also, it'd be cool if you guys tried to re-light it again tomorrow. Juuuust sayin'. :3

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »

Okay, to specify, Unvote. Then:

Light Remuthra Teal
Snuff Solifuge
White

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:55 pm »

Hmm ... well my PM isn't phrased the same way. Is it possible that your power isn't affected by the candles but mine is?

PPE: Solifuge.

I agree that we really need to test if that's really what the white candles do. That's probably the most valuable thing we could learn on the first day.

Hmm...I wonder if there might be certain players who have abilities that only work when they're "dead". The idea occurred to me because of the light/dark themes. I'm speculating pretty far in advance, though. We don't even know that people can actually die yet.

...also, if people can be brought back to life, how do we know when we win? There has to be a way to "find the spies".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »

Snuff Solifuge's White Candle
I for one promise to use my vote to relight your white candle if snuffing it does something bad to you.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 108