Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 200312 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 1
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:30 am »

Ottofar:  That's why I asked about dead chat.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:57 am »

Toaster
Hm?  It has nothing to do with changing belief.  I mean that each candle favors a certain god in its lit or unlit state, and the more favor a god has, the more power the correlating priests have.  Since the scum have gods of light and darkness, they likely correspondingly gain/lose power.

My theory is it is less a puzzle to solve than we think- we're just influencing which players have power by playing with candles.  Lynching- which is probably done with extinguishing the white candle, should be straightforward.  But there are more questions to ask.
That...would make a lot of sense, but let's wait for any response from either Meph or the HP to try to confirm it. We can only affect two candles today, and everyday else. I really don't believe that we should start attributing analogy onto the candle colors - the deities given have different characteristics; these are only the most common traits of said god, which I'm betting are no means definitive of their whole being.

I'm still against the idea (but not against the discussion of the idea) that color = symbolism and delving on that without any evidence or ideas (except for Vector and her teal candle...I'm pretty unsure how colors relate O_o) while my power is focused mainly on candles...bluh.

ANYWAY...I'm (just now) really guessing Meph isn't being straightforward with how  we'd get rid of the traitors//lynch em or snuff em. The latter seeming to be the most obvious way. Because he didn't mention anything along the lines of how to remove them. At all, in the OP or in the flavor...

Dariush
Dariush, alas no. I've told you all everything I know.
...Ooookay, take two.

My current theory is that followers of the same god have the same ability, but only if their green candle is lit. To verify this, I propose everyone does the following: go to http://www.md5.cz/ , hash your ability name with your username tacked on to the end (without spaces) and post the result here. Anybody can verify the poster by taking their own ability, adding the name of the poster and hashing it, while at the same time everyone will get a different hash, so nobody will be able to simply copy a hash or deduce the teams if my suggestions is correct, while at the same time bruteforcing this in a viable time should be next to impossible.
My hash is 70c8a35b0048f3aa9beeb8f5bd03bf9a, BTW.
Theory denounced. COmparing myself to the rest who have claimed (nobody claimed my god yet), my ability is different. And I'm really doubting that Meph has given one ability per God...

...Why are you focused on the abilities of people and making theories along that line?

Solifuge, Vector, Remuthra, NQT, does any of you have a usable power?

Also, I wonder if resurrections are possible, assuming the white candle means life.
Snuff mine, I'm willing to check that out.

"High Priest," Tiruin asks, "What does these candles mean? Is there anything you can tell us to aid us in this riddle?"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

I'm cool with having my candles messed with.  I seem to be a VT, so.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:39 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Onyxjew944 Teal: Solifuge
Remuthra Green: Okami No Rei
Remuthra Teal: Okami No Rei

Priest Toaster bows before the priest, and says a prayer to the gods.  "High Priest, how do we find the traitors?"
Solve the riddle of the candles

Tiruin inspects the candles for any mark, symbol or sign, including the disks and the room. As the priestess bows both at her fellows and the high priest, she says "How are we going to out the traitors? Also, do these candles burn out by themselves?"
"High Priest," Tiruin asks, "What does these candles mean? Is there anything you can tell us to aid us in this riddle?"
The candles shall not burn out on their own. Only you can effect them, and only by your votes upon the disks. I can tell you no more, the gods demand that you solve the riddle yourselves.

High Priest
, isn't playing a game of lighting and sniffing candles playing, theologically speaking, into the hands of the vile worshipers of mere light and dark?
Fire and Darkness are not the sole purview of the Morasadis heathens. Avos is the lord of Light and Fire, while Derala controls the night and darkness. Nor are the Twin Gods of Morasadis so simple as to call them just light and darkness. All aspects of reality are split between those gods, at least in their religion.

Day goes until ~5pm Pacific Thursday

Meph:  Can you explain what you mean by voting candles?  Can you change a vote, once cast?  Can we vote players?  Is flavor relevant?

Okami No Rei has it correct. Votes may be changed as normal. You vote specific candles of a Player, and may vote candles of different players. Votes may be changed after they have been cast.

Flavor I give you is always relevant, or at least potentially so.

Meph: No third parties? How are we going to out/'lynch' anyone? Is the High Priest targettable by a snuff/brighten/any other action? Can we move out of our disks?

Third parties are possible. You will have to determine the answer to lynching people yourselves. Only candles are valid targets, and he has no candles for you to vote on. You may move from your disks, but all votes are assumed to be on the disk. If you aren't on your disk when you vote for some reason, it won't take effect.

Mod, how many candle lightings/snuffings will happen every day?

2. Candle lighting/snuffing is mechanically a lynch, and works like normal except that the two highest get 'lynched'.

Meph:  Are there role flips on death?  Is there a dead chat?

You'll have to find out. There is no dead chat (as it says in the Rules post).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

Otto, I haven't been told of any ability, like I said earlier. Basically, we need to experiment with snuffing or lighting a candle.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:39 am »

Meph:  Do extensions or shortens matter for game mechanics a la Bastanormal 2?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:34 am »

Meph:  Do extensions or shortens matter for game mechanics a la Bastanormal 2?

No.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:07 am »

Meph, can the same candle be extinguished, then re-lit, on the same day?

Otto, I haven't been told of any ability, like I said earlier. Basically, we need to experiment with snuffing or lighting a candle.

Yeah, I think the greens are Powers, maybe.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:59 am »

Not through voting. All vote-based candle changes happen at the end of the day.
Come play Mafia with us!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56:46 am »

All right.  How about, as an experiment, we light my green candle?

Light Vector's green candle
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

COmparing myself to the rest who have claimed (nobody claimed my god yet), my ability is different.
Er, what exactly is your ability different from? Nobody claimed any specific abilities yet (unless I somehow missed it).
And I'm really doubting that Meph has given one ability per God...
Why?
...Why are you focused on the abilities of people and making theories along that line?
Because it is as good a lead as any, it provides insight into what the whole 'closest God' thing means and it doesn't take up in-game time.

I'm rather interested in what the teal candle does (I tend to agree with Vector that this probably isn't alignment-related, since 1) it doesn't make any sense, flavor-wise (traitors are supposed to be heathens, so I see no way candles can influence a person's beliefs) and 2) getting the teal candle snuffed would kinda fuck scumteam over in this case. Anyway, light Dariush's teal candle.

Meph, could you please add to the votecount what's supposed to happen with the target candle (light or snuff)?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2013, 12:13:05 pm »

I'm cool with that.
Light Vector's Green candle.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:26 pm »

Yeah, I think the greens are Powers, maybe.
...Technically, I've to agree with this.

Light Vector's Green Candle
Light Remuthra's Teal Candle

And I'm really doubting that Meph has given one ability per God...
Why?
Because it is as good a lead as any, it provides insight into what the whole 'closest God' thing means and it doesn't take up in-game time.

I'm rather interested in what the teal candle does (I tend to agree with Vector that this probably isn't alignment-related, since 1) it doesn't make any sense, flavor-wise (traitors are supposed to be heathens, so I see no way candles can influence a person's beliefs) and 2) getting the teal candle snuffed would kinda fuck scumteam over in this case. Anyway, light Dariush's teal candle.
> Because Deities are usually attributed with a small set of characteristics - this does not display them as a whole, but only as how they are generally personified. Taking this from RL/Literary experience >_>
After the Why:
1. I believe that's ability fishing...
2. Why your Teal candle?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:36 pm »

So be it. Light Vector's green candle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

For science I suppose...

Light Dariush's Teal Candle

Light Vector's Green candle
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 108