Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 200261 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 1
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:49 pm »

No.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:28 am »

Okami Your teal candle is lit, do you have any ideas on what that might mean?
I suspect it means I possess the Wisdom to see the truth, but that's from reading between the lines on my role.  It's affect is not directly stated.

I don't know how the green candle affects me.

Here's my theory: the teal and blue candles convey certain abilities. Considering the colors, I'm guessing a lit teal candle allows you to use a doctor's ability (green=life) and a blue one allows you to use a cop's ability (blue=police).
One problem with your theory.  I have two candles lit, but I don't have two powers.

How's this one sound?

White is life.
Green is Town.
Teal is PR.

Light Teal Remuthra
Light Green Remuthra

Care to find out, Remuthra?

Okami:  Why are all your candles lit?
I don't know.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2013, 12:26:32 am »

Only problem: I don't have any PR listed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:11 am »

My argh. Morning hates me today. Didn't have time for mostly anything earlier...sorry. :/

My words are in chronological order of your posts, meaning remarks as I read down the line.

Guesses: White candle is life.

Green and Teal. . . I don't know.  I feel unusually close to the gods right now, apparently.  Is this a piece of information everyone god?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I see what you did there.
I don't get it >_<

I serve all the gods, but I started my priesthood with a particular god I feel closest with. And I have a feeling that flavor is going to be a large part of what we have to go on, so what god that is is probably important. Anyone else have a similar story?
This is true-ified. Meaning yep.

Also, I doubt that we should focus on the meanings and symbolism of colors to scumhunt...nothing in the flavor dictates the analogy of colors (other than RL conventional knowledge, perhaps)

Tiruin What do you think of this mechanic? Any suspicions, on scum or just candle thoughts, you feel like sharing?
I. Am. Baffled.

I'm staring at my PM, then staring at the flavor, then staring at the order of candles and my mind goes wha. I'm guessing outing a player means that all their candles should be snuffed? Ok, full analysis.

We're standing around the High Priest in a concentric ring, along with a line of three candles before our placement -- which is on disks. The three candles form rings of their own, and from the HP's perspective, arranged in: white, green and teal.

[WHITE:ALL_LIT]
[GREEN:SOME_LIT]
[TEAL:FEW_LIT]

We have no idea how many traitors there are. We have no idea who Morasadis is except for what the High Priest says...because lack of Morasadis flavor. The HP is surrounded by an aura of light. Light is invariably white light no matter how it glows because of prismatic factors (did I use the term right?)
While the HP says the candles will affect us...he never said if them being lit/unlit would affect us, though I'm betting...there's a time limit? Most probably because the foe worships gods of light/darkness, perhaps this means a balance of the candles -- regardless of the colors. Meaning: out of 39 candles, an equilibrium must be reached in order for scum to win. But then...we can only work on two candles (unsure if same player, or all players O_o) at the end of the day.

HP says riddle of candles, yet the candles say nothing. Pretty unsure how we'd out them, guessing its snuffing candles out or torching em up to full brightness as it says...

Wait, amend, just re-read. Morasadis isn't a god, HP says that the spies belong to Mory there, but worship gods of light and darkness.

...Ok. Best hypothesis: Im guessing that thought of full snuffing/full torching applies to either spy. They will work towards getting their allies on a full set of either light or darkness. Worst hypothesis: Candle equilibrium.

Regardless: All town must work for is getting rid of the spies.

Meph: No third parties? How are we going to out/'lynch' anyone? Is the High Priest targettable by a snuff/brighten/any other action? Can we move out of our disks?

Tiruin inspects the candles for any mark, symbol or sign, including the disks and the room. As the priestess bows both at her fellows and the high priest, she says "How are we going to out the traitors? Also, do these candles burn out by themselves?"

Vector: Why're you working on the colors when no context was given about them? "!=" = not equal to, right? Why? How does having a Teal candle lit = non-scum when we can easily light it?

Sounds strangely like blatant town claim without any bearing proof.

Nerjin: Why are you the only one who gets a title signifying your allegiance to Avos?

Onyx:
I assuming White means life. I can easily confirm or deny that at the end of the Night. Reasons obvious.
...The first thought I've got was that you've a kill. Why are the reasons obvious?

Just marking.
All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them. You must also state which Candle you are voting on for that player, and highlight that candle in the appropriate color (White (just make it bold, please), Green, or Teal).

"By the Just hand of Telmorin, may we blunt the shards of dissent that threaten our noble order!"[/i]

Like all of us good priests, I worship all the gods-- but I have always been closest to Telmorin. The white candle might indicate my allegiance thus. Perhaps, and this is just speculation, Teal represents the lesser gods of the pantheon if Sister Vector feels close to all the gods.

[Ninja'd by many- there's a lot to digest here.]
All white candles are lit. Now, if that is true -- then everyone's allied with Telmorin. I feel close to all gods, and mine are different.

Nerjin/Onyx: Die? For...what? Why do you need only one candle lit, Ner, and why do you also claim death Onyx?

Everyone: Why focusing on the colors when nothing has happened? I mean, that's a preferable method, yes, but its scattered. Everyone's symbolizing the colors without asking the Mod/HP. This is a Bastard game, for those newbies out there. It's not a conventional Mafia game.

Nerjin

However, I can confirm that the teal candle != scum.

Want to explain that line of reasoning Vector

Because I know I'm not scum, and I've got a teal candle lit.

Oh you meant that it didn't equal scum... Well alright I guess. Though if you were scum you'd say that but that leads down the road to WIFOM. I apologize.

Unvote
...What. You drop it just like that? So your vote was more along the lines of curiosity than pressure?

Toaster
I think the candles influence role powers.

I feel my god's presence, and "with it" I have some role ability.  Look back at the flavor- themes of light and darkness abound.  The traitors "worship their gods of Light and Darkness."  From this, I deduce that all players- town and scum- have changing roles based on the positioning of candles.

To test this, I think all the candles of one ring (not white, because it could indeed be linked to life) should be extinguished or lit.  Thoughts?
Doubtful, you can't change beliefs just by lighting candles. Nor have I seen anything in my PM which states that it can be changed by how many candles are lit. I believe the light/darkness of our candles correlate to how far we are from being lynched...because that's the only thing I can think of, in regard to our PMs.

@Soli:
New thought: What do candles do while lit?

Answer: They slowly burn out.
...How sure are you of this?

Only problem: I don't have any PR listed.
Same as I, Vector. Mine's not a power role but a role which affects candles. I have no idea how (or why) candles would affect me in their order of being lit or not - hence me denouncing what is stated above...

Edit:

Everyone: Can you feel the presence of your gods here, now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:27 am »

Tiruin, I think this is a communication issue.  What I meant was that "teal candle does not indicate scum," because I am town.

The proof is in my role PM.  I am obviously not going to provide it, but I am going to post that without proof because it is true and potentially useful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:23 am »

Oh. Now I got where you came from there. I was thinking along the confused line of "If the teal candle is lit, the person isn't scum."

Tiruin then added onto the previous statements. "Who is Morasadis, High Priest, that we may know more about who sent our foes? The scriptures speak of the five deities, is Morasadis another one?"

...Why Remuthra's candles again?

And correction @ my post regarding the close to all gods. While I am close to all gods, I started my career with [...] and feel closest to [PRONOUN].

...Does this hold true for the rest of you? This is why I don't believe in...wait.

White is life.
Green is Town.
Teal is PR.
How'd you come up with this theory Okami?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:44 am »

Yes, mine is in that format.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:30 am »

I'm a priest of Avos, so it stands to reason something would happen when all my candles are lit, because god of light and all that.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:30 am »

Dariush Do you think we should place more emphasis on discovering the traitors first, or on unraveling the effects of these mysterious candles?
Dariush:  Will you first try to solve a puzzle or hunt scum?
Looking at the bastards I've played, 'hunting scum' rarely turns out to be as straightforward as it sounds. So solving the puzzle.

Remuthra:
Here's my theory: the teal and blue candles convey certain abilities. Considering the colors, I'm guessing a lit teal candle allows you to use a doctor's ability (green=life) and a blue one allows you to use a cop's ability (blue=police).
That is rather far-fetched and random. Do you really think that there are eight doctors in the game?

I also have a theory, but before I voice it, I want to ask someone like NQT: do you have an ability? If yes, is it a night or a day one?

Mod, how many candle lightings/snuffings will happen every day?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2013, 06:45:05 am »

Dariush, alas no. I've told you all everything I know.

High Priest
, isn't playing a game of lighting and sniffing candles playing, theologically speaking, into the hands of the vile worshipers of mere light and dark?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2013, 08:01:39 am »

Toaster
I think the candles influence role powers.

I feel my god's presence, and "with it" I have some role ability.  Look back at the flavor- themes of light and darkness abound.  The traitors "worship their gods of Light and Darkness."  From this, I deduce that all players- town and scum- have changing roles based on the positioning of candles.

To test this, I think all the candles of one ring (not white, because it could indeed be linked to life) should be extinguished or lit.  Thoughts?
Doubtful, you can't change beliefs just by lighting candles. Nor have I seen anything in my PM which states that it can be changed by how many candles are lit. I believe the light/darkness of our candles correlate to how far we are from being lynched...because that's the only thing I can think of, in regard to our PMs.

Hm?  It has nothing to do with changing belief.  I mean that each candle favors a certain god in its lit or unlit state, and the more favor a god has, the more power the correlating priests have.  Since the scum have gods of light and darkness, they likely correspondingly gain/lose power.

My theory is it is less a puzzle to solve than we think- we're just influencing which players have power by playing with candles.  Lynching- which is probably done with extinguishing the white candle, should be straightforward.  But there are more questions to ask.

Meph:  Are there role flips on death?  Is there a dead chat?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:00 am »

Dariush, alas no. I've told you all everything I know.
...Ooookay, take two.

My current theory is that followers of the same god have the same ability, but only if their green candle is lit. To verify this, I propose everyone does the following: go to http://www.md5.cz/ , hash your ability name with your username tacked on to the end (without spaces) and post the result here. Anybody can verify the poster by taking their own ability, adding the name of the poster and hashing it, while at the same time everyone will get a different hash, so nobody will be able to simply copy a hash or deduce the teams if my suggestions is correct, while at the same time bruteforcing this in a viable time should be next to impossible.
My hash is 70c8a35b0048f3aa9beeb8f5bd03bf9a, BTW.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2013, 08:40:30 am »

I would point out that some mods object to that sort of tactic.  You should run it past Meph before going too far with it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:00 am »

Solifuge, Vector, Remuthra, NQT, does any of you have a usable power?

Also, I wonder if resurrections are possible, assuming the white candle means life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:02 am »

I've already said this, but no, I don't.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 108