Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 199899 times)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 3 - One replacement needed
« Reply #435 on: April 24, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »

Ottofar:
The power seems to be a one shot night action, named The Dance of the Sun and Moon. I have no idea what it does, though. I received it during my morning prayer, and my god seems to think it would be good idea to use it.
Who is your god? And it sounds like he or she offered advice a second time right there.

Avos. I received the advice in the same paragraph as the power name, but I guess one could interpret it either way.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »

Dude, if you boosted my green I would totally be the happiest little snail.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 24, 2013, 03:45:28 pm »

Toaster:
Sleeping Gods are usually town.
What are you basing this conclusion on?

Also, I have no idea why my power would be interesting- it was pretty damn mundane.  Unless my teal candle does something interesting?
I was just about to ask you this exact question, and then I stumbled across the answer.

If it's mundane, is there any reason to keep it hidden? More information couldn't hurt.

Ranger: Is your god Telmorin? For some reason, I have you down as Telmorin on my spreadsheet.

While I'm at it, is there anything you can tell us about what you did the past two nights? Or any new information you can add whatsoever?

Also, since you're out of BM XL, do you still need a replacement?

Onyxjew: You've been kind of languishing in the background, too. Do you have anything to add?

Can you at least tell us if you've been taking actions at night?

Here's an updated spreadsheet.

Spoiler: All Claimed Advice (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: All Candle Changes (click to show/hide)

High Priest (IC): "Why are we being tested?"
Spoiler: In Reference To (click to show/hide)

Meph: On all previous occasions where candles were changed, you colored the candle names. Why weren't the candles colored in the last start of day message?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »

Ford:  Ehh.. don't see why not, really.  I had a roleblock, which I used on you N1.

Also, every sleeping god I can recall seeing was town.  Thinking on it further, though, I find the whole "mystery effect of power means not town" assumption to be faulty.  Dariush, please back this up.

Ottofar:  Why do you think a roleblock was interesting?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 24, 2013, 04:08:31 pm »

Toaster: Now I really wish I'd gotten your teal candle lit yesterday. I can totally understand you blocking me.

...also, the fact that the number of manipulations doubled when you weren't blocking me would kind of imply I'm involved, at least from your perspective, wouldn't it?

You didn't really seem that suspicious of me at the beginning of the day, though. Any reason why?
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 24, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »

I notice I have forgotten to inform I do have a power though I have yet to find a useful way to implement it.

Light Solifuge's White I still have a promise to uphold.

Onyxjew: You've been kind of languishing in the background, too. Do you have anything to add?

Can you at least tell us if you've been taking actions at night?
Damn! And here I was feeling oh-so-smug for a bit there. I suppose my invisibility only lasts for so long.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 24, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

High Priest:  Is Dariush's green candle still trailing smoke, or was that only when we first came in?

The candle is no longer smoking.

Meph: On all previous occasions where candles were changed, you colored the candle names. Why weren't the candles colored in the last start of day message?

I'm a bit sleep deprived and simply forgot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 24, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »

Meph:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 24, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »

Meph:

Because the gods wish it to be so
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 24, 2013, 04:40:34 pm »

...New avatars. I'm not used to Ford's lack of cat.

Ford
Tiruin: Bam! I think I figured out your ability. You can strengthen candles.

I wonder if you use it on a teal candle, if a player wouldn't get more or better advice, and if you used it on a green candle if their abilities wouldn't get better.

And perhaps using it on a candle that's only partially gone out (still trailing smoke) can cause it to recover immediately.

Does that sound right?
Sadly, no. I've already detailed what my candle could do other than state what its power blatantly is [of course, I didn't say the effect - there's a reason I'm not saying it. While it is...comparably a weak one, I see it better off in-]

...:/

Err, no. I can only affect lit candles, I'm guessing - I tried that power on Ottofar's snuffed White candle yesterday - nothing. And I can use it on any candle. I (guess) I can't use it on any candle without the essence of fire. Meaning: no flame, no gain. I cannot strengthen (I'm really guessing that as it doesn't say in my power) a candles...effect.

The idea of an accelerating pattern of night changes just doesn't sit right with me. It's a theory I'd considered before, but based on Vector's night result, it looks like scum lit one of their own candles.
The only thing causing doubt in my mind is....that if Otto was scum, why would they snuff his white candle (or that they know more and this part is...confusing. I mean, the only way they'd do that is if they're confident that he'll live - or go with the plan of "THIS DUDE WAS NK'D HE MUST BE TOWN.")

Extinguish Ottofar White.
Extinguish Ottofar Teal.

The boy is scum, guys.  It says that white is attached to his soul and that the candle has a menacing feeling to it.

I don't really have any other defense against an investigation except WIFOM. But do you really think that I would, as scum let you investigate my candle? That I wouldn't extinguish your green candle, or your white one. Especially when you've stated you'd do so, which you did. Here.
So other than explain a malevolent 'feeling', you go on defense and guess that inspect is really real - or that Vector's just acting on a hunch, huh. I mean, a person, when curious (or darn town) sees something vague and suspicious and has the means to prod at it, she/he pokes at it. Vector poked at your white candle and got the result of 'It be lookin' at me funny.'

Cue defense and WIFOM than any other reasonable explanation about that malevolent feeling. I mean, we don't even know scum motives - ulterior or not, well, this would mak-

Ooooohhhhhh wait! Wait!
Spoiler: Nope. (click to show/hide)
Snuff Ottofar's Green Candle

And that defense there infers that White = Life. Look at Dariush. He's blanked out and is still among us - care to explain more about that thing you're stating there?

...And I sure hope that Soli isn't a double agent from his ploy D1...Light Solifuge's White Candle (but still, nobody claimed that clean slate ability regarding fixin' solifuge. What Ford did...is suspicious. Tying a vote. Nobody even replied to my question regarding the tying of the vote.)

Clarify: So you got a power without details - like, in label only that you've a Teal lit? Or was that your Green. Because if so, you still aren't disclosing that Teal for some reason - what is that reason.

Dariush

Tiruin & Vector, what is that day pattern thinkg you're speaking about?
A what now?

Also, thoughts on your candles - those questions people asked you before?
Just read it.

Vector
I don't really have any other defense against an investigation except WIFOM. But do you really think that I would, as scum let you investigate my candle? That I wouldn't extinguish your green candle, or your white one. Especially when you've stated you'd do so, which you did. Here.

Why shouldn't this game have doctors, hm?
Doctors how?
Dude, if you boosted my green I would totally be the happiest little snail.
Not that dude, but whatever :P
Note that I (really mostly probably) am sure that I can't boost powers.

Tiruin sighs at the High Priests answer that the Gods would ordain him to glow because they wish it to be so. While it did make sense in a theological context - she was pretty...concerned if the light would have any adverse effects like...UV radiation.

Granted, she didn't know what UV radiation was and instead smiled and turned at Vector.

"Candle burning through with fire,
Light thyself in hallowed name.
Fire burning ever higher,
Consecrate thyself in game.

Flickering fire, doubtful light,
*Living flame, show your essence,
Carry thy spirit, fight the night.
(darn I really miss Quadressence :/)

Lighten up this world so dim;
Brighten up, unlike your kin.
Candle burning ever-fire,
I do sure hope Vector ain't a liar."

* - [totally flavor, really. I needed something to rhyme with that one player.]

PFP - argh'd my night yesterday. Only had 3 hours to do anything because work.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 24, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »

...And by inferring, I'm (in my most probable hypothesis) quite sure that the smoke trails only pertain to when it was that the candle was affected during the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:31 pm »

EBWOP:

Darnit. Missed this.
Tiruin: You didn't answer these questions:
Nerjin, why'd you target Dariush then, of all people.
How do you know this?

And couldn't this also imply he snuffed one (or both) of Dariush's candles?

And on top of that, Nerjin denied targeting Dariush. You must have completely missed it:
Nerjin: Can you respond to Tiruin's query, and confirm or deny that you targeted Dariush last night?
I didn't use my power on Dariush. I don't want to claim yet. Sorry.

(What is with this game? It seems like everyone (including me) is missing information right in front of their faces)

PPE: Dariush also said that his green candle didn't go out completely. From what you've said about your ability, it sounds like you might be able to relight it. What are your thoughts on this?
...I answered the question already.
And couldn't this also imply he snuffed one (or both) of Dariush's candles?

> I had brought that under consideration (or, in the best consideration a mind under stress, the utter wish to sleep but can't because 12 hour classes >_> and a coming exam) and that he could've done that - but I'm working on my Candle = Light theory still.

I mean, how would we lynch scum then. Apply Occam's razor and...light all Dariush's candles to lynch him?! O_o

Because the only explanation is that Solifuge was ARGH'D due to the candles losing power and him to forfeit his connection with the gods he followed, causing a mild heart attack (ok, or something like stress that brings you to the hospital) and going completely against his beliefs.

Meaning: Something along the lines of 'candles are against yer beliefs/PM.'...

Which would lead to Dariush serving some kind of darkness-ish God. Or being scum. But then someone would claim (Vig?), or in the least, that transfer of candles [Dear goodness. That transfer action seems like the best thing reasoning out the 4 (perceived) actions last night. 'Transfer your flame to this guy'.]

...SO list of unclaimed actions are:
Vote-clean slate thing.

Assumed unclaimed:
> Those night snuffs/night actions.
> Nerjin's action which is still unknown but he did act.
> That transfer theory. Which seems to be the best explanation unless you'd love a [NIGHT ACTION: 2 * (Day #)] or [2Day number] theory.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:26 pm »

...Unless, that transfer action in regard to Dariush keeps him alive for a phase, then he dies...Like one of the actions which say 'x happens to player, player [dies] at [time after the action is taken]'.

Just thinking aloud here since I'mr eally constrained by time (hello 14 hour wait) and that waiting for results seem like the best conclusion to testing hypotheses.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:59 pm »

High Priest:  Is Dariush's green candle still trailing smoke, or was that only when we first came in?
The candle is no longer smoking.
That kind of nixes that idea, I guess. But Dariush seemed to think his candle wasn't entirely extinguished for some reason.

Dariush: Do you still have your ability? Why did you think your candle wasn't entirely out?

Tiruin: Sorry for not directly addressing what you said about the tie, but I'd like to point you to this:
I'm upset about the tie that happened yesterday. There wasn't really anything I could do prevent it since I was working from an incorrect votecount. I am ticked that people pretty much let it happen.

if Otto was scum, why would they snuff his white candle...
This sticks out in my mind:

I think that Ottofar's candle thing happened because he is a darkness-related priest. The fact remains that if someone (likely scum) wanted to snuff his white, possibly giving him better powers, we should want it lit.

...And by inferring, I'm (in my most probable hypothesis) quite sure that the smoke trails only pertain to when it was that the candle was affected during the night.
That...actually makes a lot of sense.

But what significance could there be to the order they were done in?

Meph: How long was Dariush's candle smoking for?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2013, 04:53:44 pm »

Remuthra: How could a White candle...judging from the quote above, affect powers or anything like such?

Dariush: Why no answer regarding the snuffy candles? You've become the spotlight owner. Why did you not say anything earlier regarding the changes of the candles, and you. Like, powers/anything regarding the night?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 108