Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 199905 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 3 - One replacement needed
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2013, 09:14:41 am »

Vector: There's another possibility. The candles that Dariush had snuffed are the same ones that Ottofar had lit. What if this was a transfer of some kind?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2013, 09:29:26 am »

The idea of an accelerating pattern of night changes just doesn't sit right with me. It's a theory I'd considered before, but based on Vector's night result, it looks like scum lit one of their own candles.

Dariush: Why do you think your green candle didn't go out completely? Is it because you still have your ability? Or were you explicitly told something like that in flavor?

Vector: Do you think that targeting a teal candle could identify someone's god? If the traitors worship other gods, that seems like it would also be a good way to identify them.

Also, do you think it's possible for someone to have tampered with your result? Everyone did know which candle you were going to target.

High Priest/Mod: Are there such things as demons? Or other independent beings who might have a reason to corrupt this temple for their own ends?
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 2
« Reply #422 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41:53 am »

Extinguish Ottofar White.
Extinguish Ottofar Teal.

The boy is scum, guys.  It says that white is attached to his soul and that the candle has a menacing feeling to it.

I don't really have any other defense against an investigation except WIFOM. But do you really think that I would, as scum let you investigate my candle? That I wouldn't extinguish your green candle, or your white one. Especially when you've stated you'd do so, which you did. Here.

Otherwise, I'm going to examine Ottofar's white candle.

Ottofar: Got an explanation?

Not, aside from being a hidden miller, or a frame artist-like role. Or Vector lying, but I don't really think that's very likely, what with her claiming the investigate D1, if I recall correctly.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:59 am »

Ottofar:  That assumes you not wanting your candle inspected would lead to anything but Vector wanting to do it more.

High Priest:  Is there still a trail of smoke coming from my green candle?

That's one way to check the perma-extinguish theory, not that I put any weight behind it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:34 am »

Toaster:
Ottofar:  That assumes you not wanting your candle inspected would lead to anything but Vector wanting to do it more.
I don't think he said anything like that. (Though I got the same false impression you did)

Ottofar: You're right, that is WIFOM. You did miss a question I made to you, though:
Ottofar: Do you have any idea how your candles got lit?

Why haven't you told us the advice your god gave you?

What can you tell us about what your ability? Is it passive? Does it target candles or people? Day or Night action?

Did you get anything in your PM that can shed light on how your candles were lit?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:32 am »

Currently going over the thread with a fine-toothed comb.  Need to head to work soon, but I'll be making a WoT tonight after I get back.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 2
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:36 pm »

I don't really have any other defense against an investigation except WIFOM. But do you really think that I would, as scum let you investigate my candle? That I wouldn't extinguish your green candle, or your white one. Especially when you've stated you'd do so, which you did. Here.

Why shouldn't this game have doctors, hm?

Vector: Do you think that targeting a teal candle could identify someone's god? If the traitors worship other gods, that seems like it would also be a good way to identify them.

Also, do you think it's possible for someone to have tampered with your result? Everyone did know which candle you were going to target.

This is a good idea--and maybe.

Who should I investigate tonight, folks?  I'd like to get a list of three, and then I'll pick one without telling y'all which I'm going to do.

Vector: There's another possibility. The candles that Dariush had snuffed are the same ones that Ottofar had lit. What if this was a transfer of some kind?

That's also possible.  I'm not assuming that the scum get increasing powers or whatever, but it is a potential pattern that should be noted.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2013, 12:30:06 pm »

Toaster:
I don't think he said anything like that. (Though I got the same false impression you did)

Ottofar: You're right, that is WIFOM. You did miss a question I made to you, though:
Ottofar: Do you have any idea how your candles got lit?

Why haven't you told us the advice your god gave you?

What can you tell us about what your ability? Is it passive? Does it target candles or people? Day or Night action?

Did you get anything in your PM that can shed light on how your candles were lit?

I've been assuming the scum have a snuffing ability, and I was meaning that I'd have snuffed Vector's white candle, more than refusing to accept the inspect during the day.

I have received only a single piece of advice, that Toaster's power might interest me. I received it the night his green candle was snuffed, so I didn't think it was worthwhile to pursue.

The power seems to be a one shot night action, named The Dance of the Sun and Moon. I have no idea what it does, though. I received it during my morning prayer, and my god seems to think it would be good idea to use it.

And not a mention of the candles.

PPE:

Why shouldn't this game have doctors, hm?

That's actually a good point. If there are, I can't really defend myself at all.

Except, perhaps redirectors, there were two snuffings both N1 and N2.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Light Dariush White: Dariush
Snuff Ottofar Teal: Captain Ford, Vector
Snuff Ottofar White: Remuthra, Tiruin, Vector
Light Solifuge White: Captain Ford, Dariush, notquitethere, Ottofar, Remuthra

Tiruin begins the day with a straight to the point question to the High Priest.

"Why are you still glowing with light?"

Because the gods wish it

High Priest/Mod: Are there such things as demons? Or other independent beings who might have a reason to corrupt this temple for their own ends?
Yes

High Priest:  Is there still a trail of smoke coming from my green candle?

No

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Friday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Set-up in progress
« Reply #429 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »

Heathen Spies of Morasadis who worship their gods of Light and Darkness
The Dance of the Sun and Moon
I just what.

I am currently voting to light Soli's white as well as snuffing Otto's teal. Otto didn't die when his white was snuffed before, I don't see why he would die if we snuffed it now.
Hm, makes sense.
Besides that, if the scum's ability to change candles is accelerating, and Otto won't die if we only snuff two of his candles, then there's no way we can take him out at all. They could relight his candles faster than we could snuff them.
Still makes sense, but if and only if scum indeed gain actions (as opposed to some outside effect happening last night), in which case we're fucked regardless of whether we begin trying to lynch him or not.
In any case, repeating the same actions and expecting a different result is madness.
Not the same actions per se - intending to completely snuff someone's candles as opposed to only a single one is a significant difference.
Hmm...would that imply that candles that leave a scent aren't out completely?

That wouldn't explain why Solifuge collapsed, then.
I don't think 'leave a scent' and 'leave a smoke trail' are identical effects. It's quite possible that the former is either a red herring or a hint to the owner's god while the latter is something along the lines of candle only remaining lit for the next day (it's just a guess, though).
Dariush: Why do you think your green candle didn't go out completely? Is it because you still have your ability? Or were you explicitly told something like that in flavor?
Nope, I wasn't told anything about the candles. In fact, I learned that I lost both of them only when I saw the thread opening.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

Ford:
Toaster:

Oh, I know that.  Ottofar said:

But do you really think that I would, as scum let you investigate my candle? That I wouldn't extinguish your green candle, or your white one.

The first sentence in particular.  If Otto had said "No don't check my candle" then I'd be shocked if Vector wasn't almost certain to inspect his candle after that.

Well, that confirms the smoke trails are only temporary and ergo only provide flavor.  Perhaps candles that don't flavor don't do anything?

Dariush:  We have a god of the Sun and one of the Moon on our side.  Perhaps you should read the flavor?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 24, 2013, 12:54:42 pm »

Dariush:  We have a god of the Sun and one of the Moon on our side.  Perhaps you should read the flavor?
Yes, I know. However, Otto has said that his god gave it to him, not gods (not to mention that nobody claimed having more than one god, which is highly unlikely in my opinion, though not entirely impossible). Besides, a one-shot night action with hidden effect? Looks so town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 24, 2013, 01:08:25 pm »

Sleeping Gods are usually town.

Also, I have no idea why my power would be interesting- it was pretty damn mundane.  Unless my teal candle does something interesting?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »

Ottofar:
The power seems to be a one shot night action, named The Dance of the Sun and Moon. I have no idea what it does, though. I received it during my morning prayer, and my god seems to think it would be good idea to use it.
Who is your god? And it sounds like he or she offered advice a second time right there.

Tiruin: Bam! I think I figured out your ability. You can strengthen candles.

I wonder if you use it on a teal candle, if a player wouldn't get more or better advice, and if you used it on a green candle if their abilities wouldn't get better.

And perhaps using it on a candle that's only partially gone out (still trailing smoke) can cause it to recover immediately.

Does that sound right?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »

Okay, looks like people still like the partially out theory.

High Priest:  Is Dariush's green candle still trailing smoke, or was that only when we first came in?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 108