Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Darkwood - top-down survival horror. Beta 3.0. Full release on August 17th!  (Read 22260 times)

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkwood - top-down survival horror. Available on Steam EA July 24!
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:10 am »

I actually backed this during the fundraiser, though I haven't followed the development at all, no forums no nothing, looking forward to trying it out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Bump. It's out!

I decided to buy it after all. ($13, 10% off for the rest of this month.)

It's only got Chapter 1, whatever that means, so I figure I can get my beak wet and then set it aside for a few months and enjoy all the new features. I'll post some impressions when I've had a chance to diddle with it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got to say, I'm really impressed. The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty smooth (just a little bit of stutter around some shadow effects so far.) It's deeply atmospheric, relying on the art style, quality sfx and the darkness pull you in. The character art especially is amazing (and pretty disturbing.) Controls are very straight forward and handle well, and I think? I only encountered one bug in the three or so hours I've been playing.  While you can't really say how much content there'll be until it's officially released, it's earned its $15 price tag to me just in its first impressions. That said, it's an early access game and the feel of overall gameplay still shows it, but I dig what they're going for. The rest, I say in spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:53:59 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile

Dammit wolf, you had to do this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile

Awesome review Nenjin, that was very thorough.  And with some action-adventure mixed in it was very readable too!  Yeah, I'm thinking I'll get this, even if I am a chickenshit watch-X-Files-with-the-lights-on-and-squint-at-the-scary-parts type myself.  Once they balance out the resource and longevity issues that you mentioned I will jump on board.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks Seamas.

Hey guteks, if you're reading, are you guys planning on having English language forums?

Derp, here's the English forums. Couldn't seem to find it through Google, had to go through their main website. It's also in my own op  ::)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:43:20 am by nenjin »

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile

Just played this and my good feeling about this game right now is that I am going to piss myself from how the game is fucking with me and playing with my mind

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to get some screenshots of the game later today for the OP. For how good it looks, Darkwood actually makes for some pretty uninspired screenshots and there's not much on Google worth linking.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:54:54 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After about 12 hours, I feel compelled to write some sort of newbie guide. It's spoilery to a degree, but doesn't really deal with the plot. I'll update it when I know more.

You know, it's weird. Steam says I've only played 12 hours but I feel like I've put way, way more time into this game than that. Maybe it's the fact a day only takes about 20 minutes, but Darkwood kind of lulls you into this weird, timeless space. Like Groundhogs Day on really evil mescaline.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:30:27 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I think I'm set.

Finally started shooting up some Monster Smack and checking out the abilities....pretty cool. Being able to see more under trees and such. Dodging. A quick swipe attack with the ax that looks pretty boss. Every tier of abilities after the first you have to pick one disadvantage though, and some of them kinda suck. Making more noise when you move, worse eyesight, worse firearm handling, ect...But there's a pretty sweet ability you can unlock that lets you see 360 degrees around you for a short time, on a cooldown.

While nifty and really helpful, none of these abilities seem necessary to win. Makes me wonder if getting hopped up on Evil Dope or not plays into an ending of some sort, because shooting Monster Smack into your eye balls does come with some other...uhm....rather quirky side effects. Either way, the abilities are pretty much THE reason not to die. You get a couple mushrooms every night for drinking from well, so you can stockpile pretty well. But the amount of Essence you need increases dramatically (takes more to get your fix I guess), so you don't want to be constantly losing your abilities and getting them again.

Anyways, I had to abandon that game as it started to seem corrupted. (Heh.) Monster attacks had stopped, period, I could run around at night all I wanted and other weird stuff. But the thing that broke my spirit was my inventor values all getting set to 1.

So it's off to a new game. I might have to chill on it for a while as while I haven't finished it, I've meticulously crawled all over the early/mid-game areas, several times now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:04:55 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So 22 hours and I think I can safely say this.

While presenting very well, and having its bugs be subtle and minor, the overall polish on Darkwood conceals a lot of factors about how much of an alpha game this still is. Many systems are written based on assumptions of how people would play the alpha, and so some systems don't exactly hold up over time. Monster attacks at night end based on a set amount of time the devs thought people would play. Reloading a game save actually rolls you back over a day in game because how it saves wasn't written in a sensible fashion. (All the emphasis was placed on saving when you die, to make sure that part worked. Meanwhile, reloading a save and relying on the game's autosave tends to roll you back in time, including quest progress....though your inventory remains unchanged.) Place holders that were almost caught, and a growing number of slow-to-show bugs, which have caused me many a game restart.

So perhaps hold off on this if you're debating getting it. Not because it's a bad game but because, once you've put some serious time into it, it's still a rather incomplete game in some critical ways. I haven't yet hit the end of the alpha content, because I keep hoarding and exploring cautiously rather than running out to the edges of hell, but I know there's not a ton left I haven't seen or done.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:50:51 pm by nenjin »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Darkwood - top-down survival horror. Put down the Monster Smack. (Out now)
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

I bought this and gave it a try, and while at first I wasn't very impressed (due to the first map being seemingly sort of small, and some things always sort of being in the same place, like the chicken lady house) I've changed my mind and now I quite enjoy it. Staying at the hideout at night waiting for dawn to come is full of suspense and atmosphere. I cornered myself with the bigger wardrobe and barricated the windows except the one that is right in front of the well, which I trapped with a bear trap. I heard some very strange noises during the night, and heard some screams and steps inside the house, but whatever it was, it didn't detect me.

When it was morning I saw that my bear trap had sprung. Creepy.

Also, I'm  wondering if there are enemies that hunt eachother? There was an infected ghoul person thing inspecting one of my barricaded windows, but I left him there and hid behind the wardrobe. Then during the night, I head that thing grunt as if it were fighting along with a different, much louder growling noise, and a thumping noise, and I think I saw some splinters fly from the barricate. When it became day again, the ghoul was gone and the barricade was barely hurt, and there was a mysterious blood splatter not too far from the house. I dont remember that being there before.

Anyway, how do you use recipes? They sort of just sit in my inventory and I dont seem to learn anything from them :C
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2014, 03:28:52 pm »

Hold left click on it til the icon appears, then release. Then you'll learn it and it will be in your crafting menu, and the recipe item will disappear.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2014, 03:48:06 pm »

Additionaly, I got the dodge perk thing, which enables me to "dodge while wielding a melee weapon". How do I do that exactly? The game doesnt exactly have useful tooltips for this sort of thing right now.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »

Additionaly, I got the dodge perk thing, which enables me to "dodge while wielding a melee weapon". How do I do that exactly? The game doesnt exactly have useful tooltips for this sort of thing right now.

It's got its own dedicated button. Check your control config.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9