Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Darkwood - top-down survival horror. Beta 3.0. Full release on August 17th!  (Read 22271 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkwood - top-down survival horror: A dev is standing RIGHT BEHIND YOU
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 09:05:10 am »

It says it has 40 days left, am I to assume it hasn't been up very long?

Most crowd funding things need a bit of time to get the ball rolling. Typically they get most of their money in the last quarter or so of their time up. Publicity also makes a big impact, when you see someone on a something like Rock Paper Shotgun say something along the lines of "This game looks awesome and has a kickstarter", it usually winds up getting funded.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:44 am »

I suppose I don't like spreading myself out. Either my attention, my payment information or my loyalty. I started with Kickstarter, I think it's the better crowdfunding site (for US/UK at any rate ><) and it's where the majority of big and/or successful projects are happening.

Plus some of the ways IndieGoGo allows you to fund projects isn't something I'm comfortable with. Projects like the one where the guys wanted to buy the rights to Homeworld, and using some open-ended funding method for it, just sounded like bad business to me. There's plenty of bad business done on Kickstarter as well, but due to their exposure they tread a little more carefully.

Mostly though, IndieGoGo is the underdog, and these projects live or die based on the volume of eyeballs and wallets they get exposed to. Like Pnx said, these projects have to build inertia to generate funding, and Kickstarter is far better at that than IndieGoGo. Even if there's a project I like, I rarely back unless I feel confident it's going to make its funding goal. Why? I dunno. I don't like pledging cash to stuff not knowing whether or not it will succeed. The fact my transaction is only processed if the project is successful doesn't matter. I don't pledge for $200 worth of stuff expecting only $100 of it to actually succeed...I pledge x knowing that it's going to cost me x and there's no guesswork involved. Put another way...I don't like having potentially random amounts of cash withdrawn from my bank account every month. I like knowing exactly how much I'm going to spend on a number of successful projects.

I admit it's a totally irrational position given the way these things work, and yet it's how I roll with crowdfunding projects.

So yeah. There's some paranoia, some irrational behavior and the reality of how crowd funding works best, that guides which site I choose to give my money to.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:20:58 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:48 pm »

Crowd funding is all about exposure/momentum, and kickstarter is superior in that regard. It's probably a good idea to find out exactly about the tax issue, because it may not be a good enough reason to not make use of the power that is kickstarter. It's very possible that despite the higher tax, whatever it may be, there will be more funding. 

guteks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:03 am »

Thanks nenjin for the detailed reply, that's just what I wanted to hear! I believe that aside from things like exposure / publicity, people react differently to Kickstarter and Indiegogo on a more deeper, psychological scale. We'd like to address these issues as best as we can when we start ;)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:08 pm »

From my perspective, while I'm content with either Kickstarter or Indiegogo (having backed stuff on both sites), Kickstarter just seems more polished of a site. That's probably in large part due from the popularity, which leads to more money, which leads to more polish, so it's probably not too fair to judge on that. It's just one of my first thoughts when comparing the two sites.

As far as funding goes, Indiegogo offers two different types - either Kickstarter's all-or-nothing model, where money is only transferred if/when the project meets its goal, or another model where the creator gets the money whether the goal is reached or not. I'm personally very, very hesitant to give money to the second type, as it doesn't seem particularly reasonable. What good can the creator do with a quarter or half the funding goal? I'm not alone in this either - RockPaperShotgun won't even feature projects that use this type of funding method in their weekly(ish) round up they do.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

guteks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys!

We just opened up our forums: http://forums.acidwizardstudio.com/

See you there, or if you have some other questions about Darkwood and want to post them here, I'll be happy to answer them ;)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

Posting to watch and or shamelessly rip off ideas.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile

Looks amazing! <3

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Dear developer after searching your forums I have come to the conclusion you are a horrible cruel sadistic man.... Advertising a early demo and then leading me to a rick rolled video T.T
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

GUSTA
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

guteks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Indiegogo campaign is LIVE!

Go check it out, if only for our crazy pitch video and spread the love everywhere you can if you like it! http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/darkwood

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Yay !

Also in going to beg here right now but please please try and get this on kickstarter because even though indygogo is good it's vastly overlooked compared to kickstarter and I really think your funding would go through the roof on kickstart
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

While I don't play much horror... this might get me back into it. Please, get a demo out so I can decide whether or not to pledge(I might regardless)

Also, will there be an ingame level editor? This seems like the game that can easily have one without causing problems.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, lets hope not going for kickstarter wasn't a mistake. This looks like a project that deserves to succeed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9