Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 217628 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN-UPS: 14 / ?] Magic Mafia - Periodic Sending of Elements
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2013, 02:26:22 am »

Captain Ford summons a stick and jabs notquitethere, who is actually quite there and disapproves. He then reminisces about the Bikinimancer incident while sucking on the stick.

RangerCado screws around some more with magic, summoning the stick before Captain Ford can finish choking himself with it.

Tiruin hits both of them and calls them retards.

Vote Count
------------------------
Captain Ford -
Deathsword -
Griffionday -
Hapah - Urist Imiknorris,
notquitethere - The Soldier,
RangerCado - Deathsword, Zrk2,
The Soldier -
TheWetSheep - TolyK,
Tiruin -
Toaster -
TolyK - Tiruin,
Urist Imiknorris - notquitethere, Toaster, Hapah,
Vector -
Zrk2 - RangerCado, Griffionday,
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Vector, Captain Ford, TheWetSheep,

8 To Hammer. Day Ends Monday at 9 PM Central.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2013, 03:24:39 am »

Sheep
NQT: Did your power not say in the description that it could not be used on yourself?
That's what I thought at first, but it's quite the opposite: the default is apparently non self-targeting, with it needing to explicitly state that it can be self targetted to work. Ask Wuba about your own powers if you don't believe me.

Tiruin
No, I wanted to use it today in case I don't survive the night.
...? In case you don't survive the night? And then you'd use it today? Ok...what gives you the indication of [FEARFUL_FOR_LIFE: YES]
To clarify: the possibility of dying in the night, even if probably low, is enough to make me want to use my one-shot now. 

Nothing especially makes me fearful other than the existence of the mafia-kill and countless other possible unpleasantries that might happen in the night. It's just much more safe and reliable to use the power now. I don't want to regret not using it if I wake up dead tomorrow.

Okay Captain Scum, you could at least try to say that with a bit more conviction. Also, I know you're just joking, but if you're serious about consideration for this gift (you might not be) you could be so kind as to name another person to link up with.
...AM I reading this wrong? You know Ford is joking that he's town in his wording there...how? If you've pinpointed scum somehow, why is that blue and not a red?
You ARE reading this wrong! I thought Ford was joking with his talk of honour, making fun of my use of that gambit in the revolution game. He didn't come across as earnest, but he didn't come across as necessarily scum either.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2013, 04:25:11 am »

I should probably post that I'm working on a wall of text...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

Zrk2:
I thought a No lynch would help as we may have many Night based roles, both helpful and harmful, that everyone may get more information from rather than mislynching a townie.

Or maybe you're trying to fly under the radar and want to avoid the possible blowback from voting to lynch a townie. Either way you need to make a decision. You are either scum trying to ruin the lynch or a totally ineffective townie, and I think lynching either on D1 is tolerable.
This seems a bit rough for someone who's playing their first game. You seem to discount the ability for Ranger to see that a D1 lynch is better. In fact, almost all of your reasoning for your vote on him is for having a different idea. Do you see votes as a good way to pressure new players into learning? From your wording, this seems more like a lynch vote than a pressure vote.

Scumpicks:
1. RangerCado, as explained above.
2. Hapah, for lurking.
3. TheWetSheep, also for lurking.
So lurking is the only other scummy thing you've seen so far?

NQT: Alright. Un-FOS NQT, if that's a thing. (Do you need to do that if you find a person no longer suspicious?) Anyway, Can someone else confirm this?
Sheep
NQT: Did your power not say in the description that it could not be used on yourself?
That's what I thought at first, but it's quite the opposite: the default is apparently non self-targeting, with it needing to explicitly state that it can be self targetted to work. Ask Wuba about your own powers if you don't believe me.
The way my powers are set up doesn't really allow me to confirm it.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:58 am »

i can confirm this. In the first post from Web in one of the rules hidden by spoiler buttons, it explains that an ability has to say self to affect you.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2013, 10:20:56 am »

That's a long long long wall if that'll take as long as this :S

Sheep
Thanks for the correction, but...I need one for this too.

The 'default' (...default? I don't get what a default is with that kind of action) is non self-targeting, ok. Then 'it' (the power?) explicitly states in its description that it can (should?) be self targeted to work.

Huh?

PPE: Got post-ninja'd by TWS, was poking at Zrk's picks for the same reasons, edited out because they just parrot what he said.

Aaaand then Ranger.

i can confirm this. In the first post from Web in one of the rules hidden by spoiler buttons, it explains that an ability has to say self to affect you.
Oh.

So NQT's incognito dual-chat thing affects himself too?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2013, 10:37:13 am »

If he's telling the truth, it won't work on him. But there may be some string attached to this that he isn't telling us. We won't really know till the end of the game.
[/quote]

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2013, 10:58:39 am »

...*Thwap* Ford upside the head for eating a stick.
"Ow!" *rubs the side of his head* "That hurt"

He glances over at Ranger, "Well, that's what you get stealing things from my stomach." *sticks out tongue*

NQT: Uh. Wow. How about this: I swear on my honor I'm town.
@_@

You doing a Nerjin again? Y'know, that one time wherein we all thought he was town when he said something like this and he was scum?

No wait, that was NQT in that one Rebel Mafia. And he was town :O

Anyway, why are you aiming for the blunt point of the argument?
Nothing else given to back it up and...actually, just why?
Why not?

No really. My reasoning doesn't go much further than that. That and the fact that I'm fishing for reactions (from NQT primarily, but also from the crowd at large).
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2013, 11:07:47 am »

Okay, i've been up for only about half an hour so i may be misinterpreting things, just bear with me here.
 Tiruin: my reasons for thinking Tolyk Townie were that i found nothing wrong with his earlier posts. I had not realized that he had lacked to post for over a day.
 NQT: I'm going to assume that your going to decide who to use your ability on around monday morning to afternoon. Although i don't want to end up in this, but i'll say one thing. Be careful who you trust this too.
 Tolyk: As the day starts coming to a close, who do you think is the most likely to be lynched and who will you vote for based on the current information?
 Zrk: Your entire arguement against me has been that i started Day 1 wanting a no lynch. I have since then changed my opinion and your reasons for voting me up to this point have seemed retaliative in nature. (is that even a word?)
 more later
[/quote]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

Zrk2:
I thought a No lynch would help as we may have many Night based roles, both helpful and harmful, that everyone may get more information from rather than mislynching a townie.

Or maybe you're trying to fly under the radar and want to avoid the possible blowback from voting to lynch a townie. Either way you need to make a decision. You are either scum trying to ruin the lynch or a totally ineffective townie, and I think lynching either on D1 is tolerable.
This seems a bit rough for someone who's playing their first game. You seem to discount the ability for Ranger to see that a D1 lynch is better. In fact, almost all of your reasoning for your vote on him is for having a different idea. Do you see votes as a good way to pressure new players into learning? From your wording, this seems more like a lynch vote than a pressure vote.

Votes can serve multiple purposes.

Scumpicks:
1. RangerCado, as explained above.
2. Hapah, for lurking.
3. TheWetSheep, also for lurking.
So lurking is the only other scummy thing you've seen so far?

I can hardly place everyone on my scumpicks list so I listed the biggest offenders.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »

Is it just me, or does this seem like a terrible idea during the first day?

I mean, if it's taking you that long, isn't it going to be largely outdated by the time you post it?
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

Zrk2:

That's a vague, unhelpful statement that doesn't really answer my question.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »

Vector, what's our Victor? Err, whatever. Why do you think you were one of the leading roles in the flavor at the beginning, considering Wuba said it would be a medium-flavor game?

Hmm. . . my best guess right now is random.org, or maybe a welcome-back.  But let me just check something real quick:

Vector conjures a crown.
This worked, though I don't know what exactly it did, so apparently flavor *does* have something to do. Hm.

Also of interest is that Vector checked replies to several of my questions (in that post). Nothing concrete, but either I asked good questions (hahaha), those were the only responses that had something in them, or Vector's quietly buddying me.

Tolyk:
TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
Hah. That, or, white fluffy barnyard animals. Who'll be lynched? Town, at a guess. It may sound pessimistic, but Day 1 you have very little to no concrete information to base accusations off of. Also, there are a few new-ish people in this game.
That is all true, though sort-of evident. I haven't played with a lot of people here, so that may just be me being behind the times.

Wow. I guess after typing my answer to the first part, I just forgot there was more. Sorry, TolyK:
I would use it on the person I found most scummy. I like to be sure before I lynch.
Hm, WetSheep, what if the person who you thought was most scummy was already being lynched big-time (by a large margin)? And would you use a role-inspect to see whether somebody is telling the truth (for example, NQT's bold post)?

Tolyk
NQT, what do you think about there being quite a few people here who won't go the "traditional" way (i.e. newbies/foreigners/whoevertheybe)?
It spices things up a bit. I don't think their scum reads will be that different. Do you?
I am bad at reading scum, but books and barcodes are good enough for me. :P
More seriously, I personally do think they will be different. Example? Ranger going No-Lynch Plaza.

Next scummiest after Ford? If you can, reads on everyone?

Zrk2 is next scummiest, as he still has yet to answer my question and has been focused on roles which I don't feel is more important for town than scum yet, he's dropped from first due to recent answering of questions though. 
TolyK would be next: He's been here, had fun, then left without actively hunting... I'm currently chalking it up to a play style difference between him and I though.
Then why aren't you pressing me, Griff?

EVERYBODY CHECK DIS

I've got a one shot magic power that allows two people (not myself) to talk to each other in private for the rest of the game. I want all interested parties to say who they'd like to talk to and why. Whoever gives me the best reason gets it. Say something quick as I'm going to allocate some time on Saturday!

FAQ
Why are you doing this in public? This way I can learn more about people and their priorities as well as more effectively use my power.
Are there any strings? No strings attached.
What happens if you don't deliver? It would mean I've been day-blocked, which shouldn't even be a thing.
Oh wow, I'd like to talk with the emancipated toothpaste fairy. I really doubt anybody will take your offer seriously. So, NQT, why put it out there? Were you expecting people to actually participate, since by your tone it sure seems like it.

@Your picks:
Why is TolyK a 2/5? He hasn't stated much and then you're marking him off as town? No hint of vagueness? He hasn't posted. At all. You aren't giving him any question beforehand.
TolyK: Get in here and post!
Already been 'splained.

Okay, i've been up for only about half an hour so i may be misinterpreting things, just bear with me here.
 Tiruin: my reasons for thinking Tolyk Townie were that i found nothing wrong with his earlier posts. I had not realized that he had lacked to post for over a day.
 NQT: I'm going to assume that your going to decide who to use your ability on around monday morning to afternoon. Although i don't want to end up in this, but i'll say one thing. Be careful who you trust this too.
 Tolyk: As the day starts coming to a close, who do you think is the most likely to be lynched and who will you vote for based on the current information?
 Zrk: Your entire arguement against me has been that i started Day 1 wanting a no lynch. I have since then changed my opinion and your reasons for voting me up to this point have seemed retaliative in nature. (is that even a word?)
 more later
Oh wow, that is hard to read in Post mode...
Lemme redo that one a bit...
TolyK: As the day starts coming to a close, who do you think is the most likely to be lynched and who will you vote for based on the current information?
Judging by the votecount and what I've read into so far, probably Ranger or NQT, with a chance of Zrk. NQT due to his claim, though I think we should wait on it and posibly experiment with it. Ranger due to being "different" in his thoughts. Zrk due to the vote record.

By the way...
Ranger, I'm also a person that doesn't like voting for people unless I'm pretty damn sure he's scum (if I understood you correctly). What are your criteria for voting now, and how "powerful" do you think your vote actually is right now?

PPE: Lol, on this page it says
Warning - while you were typing 69 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Ahahaha.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »

Do you see votes as a good way to pressure new players into learning? From your wording, this seems more like a lynch vote than a pressure vote.
That's a vague, unhelpful statement that doesn't really answer my question.
That's a very Zrk2 sort of answer. From other sources, I can infer that he's answering "yes".

Zrk2 usually tends to behave this way. He doesn't usually ask questions once he finds a target. From what I've seen, he seems to pick out the weakest player in the game and then attempt to intimidate them. (I don't believe this is actually intentional on his part. It's just a pattern)

Combined with his style of answering questions, that usually ends with him getting lynched.

Zrk2: I don't see the logic of lynching someone for being useless on the first day. I mean, that's usually why you get lynched on the first day, and surely you can see why it doesn't work all that well. (Or maybe you do. But that would be kind of sad)

Ranger: Zrk2 tried to clarify why no-lynch is a bad idea on day 1, but he missed a vital point: Even if we lynch a townie, that gives us extremely valuable information. We can look back at who voted them and why, and that information will generate new leads. (Has this been stated by someone else yet? I'm doing my best but I still feel like I've only seen 20% of the thread)

NQT: I kind of expected another response from you.

Tolyk:
PPE: Lol, on this page it says
Warning - while you were typing 69 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Ahahaha.
Yeah...why did that take you so long to write?

Also, why would a scum NQT be afraid of losing the chance to use that ability? What rationale would he have for claiming?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »

I take a break for 12 or so hours and 4 or 5 pages appear. This will take a while.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 93