Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dreaded Bolts and Arrows  (Read 2467 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded Bolts and Arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 07:15:10 pm »

It takes about 5 minutes of swimming back and forth across a narrow creek, a little monotonous, but not nearly as much as training throwing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:59 pm »

The correct way to "deal" with these overpowered arrows/bolts is to mod them so they behave properly.  Do a forum search for the Broken Arrow mod, the guy behind that one did a ton of testing and has come up with settings for ranged weaponry and its ammo which is a bit more realistic (i.e. bruises chainmail but rarely pierces except with a better material, plate is very rarely pierced, etc.)

Doesn't remove the whole "Ow you shot me in the eye and then shot me in the throat" thing since armor covers neither the eyes nor the throat, but certainly makes ranged weapons at least a little less "railgun-y"

THIS. I actually put up a ton of reactions in the later posts of that mod, and have a direct link to it in my sig, it makes the game so much better.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »

Yes it does, just make sure not to drown while still in the dabbling phase!

I just find a stream thats about 4 blocks wide and swim back and forth across it if I don't have any swimming skill at all.

Then once I level it up I just swim up and down the river constantly.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:41 pm »

Yes it does, just make sure not to drown while still in the dabbling phase!

I just find a stream thats about 4 blocks wide and swim back and forth across it (hoping to god a Alligator doesn't run up and bite my damn head off) if I don't have any swimming skill at all.

Then once I level it up I just swim up and down the river constantly.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »

Set stance to "stand ground" and sneak up next to an animal. This will take some time.
Alternatively you can try to find a pack of some small animal, grab two of them with some weird holds, lie down - and just repeatedly mash .

..Make sure your helmet can take the beating while you pass out though, otherwise you'll end up like this one YASD I made that ended up with some small boars caving my skull in.

This also works great with packs of aggressive little buggers (though watch out for the tough stuff), though you might want to make sure you can take the beating from >5 things at once why lying down though. Preferably completely armored up so that they won't bite you in your foot and sever a motor nerve as they always do.

oh_no

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 05:02:20 am »

I know they're not especially realistic, but purely from a gameplay standpoint I kind of enjoy the unstoppable AK-47s laser weapons crossbows. There's something kind of fun (in both senses of the word) about knowing that anybody in all of Dwarf Fortress can be instantly screwed over in a single turn.

It's not as fun when one of your crossbowmen companions totally steals a Forgotten Beast kill before you've even spotted them, but such is life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 07:36:29 am »

I know they're not especially realistic, but purely from a gameplay standpoint I kind of enjoy the unstoppable AK-47s laser weapons crossbows. There's something kind of fun (in both senses of the word) about knowing that anybody in all of Dwarf Fortress can be instantly screwed over in a single turn.

It's not as fun when one of your crossbowmen companions totally steals a Forgotten Beast kill before you've even spotted them, but such is life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dam man, that videos kinda creepy...

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »

Cheer up. This is Dwarf Fortress, losing is fun. Maybe the bolts contain some insta-killing poison or something? We never know.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »

If you really want to know why the bolts/arrows are overpowered, read this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Material_science#Effects_on_Combat
and the thread linked in that article.
Pages: 1 [2]