Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Clout: Round One, Turn 3 - The Philosopher King  (Read 13563 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Clout: Round One - The Land of Albion
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:17 am »

This Continent was ripe with Weaklings. Cities rich beyond imagining protected by nothing but mere words, our hoards were filled to the brim and for the first time since decades our people didn't have to go hungry. But the Jarl was not satisfied in the least. He had a foothold. Now he needed to gain from it. He immediately began to ship in more men from our Ancestral Homes while our Longboats went for a raid on another ripe target: The Conclave of Sitra. Believers of the Faith - they were weak and without allies. All that protected them was their ridiculous religion. Their Monastries filled with Gold and Silver used to satisfy their weak Gods.

3PC: Use 3 Might to attack Sitra and raze two of its Economic Infrastructure
1,8?PC: Use 1,8 Wealth to raise another 3 Might
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:49:55 am by Ghazkull »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:51 am »

Huh.  I hadn't considered that.  Yes, I'll allow partial PC usage when spending Wealth on discounted items.  I'm on the fence about allowing partial Influence assignation, for the moment we'll say no.  Also, a quick note from me.  I will take bolded commands as actions, which are immediately implemented.  I will take italicised or unformatted threats to other nations as threats and not implement them until a bolded action is stated.

You will want to make threats in this game.

Because of this, I'm choosing not to implement the Jarl's 'hire more might' action just yet because it wouldn't leave him with enough PC to raze a second unit of infrastructure (if he's still after the bonus).  I'll implement it if he repeats the action, but since I wasn't clear enough on how this was going to work beforehand I'm not going to penalise him for a lack of knowledge.

A Conflict has Begun: Finster vs Sitra!

In the autumn of the year 1081, Finsterian longships sailed around the cape of Mercassia and past the northern shores of Hark to the relatively undefended shores of the Conclave of Sitra.  Near fifteen hundred raiders put ashore and, although the Sitrese raised levies as swiftly as they could, the carls soon overran them.  The heads of the conclave walled themselves up in their cathedral and sent out messengers far and wide for assistance, praying their walls would hold until help came.

Meanwhile, Sitran missionaries began to be sighted in the ruins of old Verona, calling to the oppressed thralls of Finster to rise up against their masters.  The missionaries were heard, sure enough, but the Jarl held too much sway for a revolt to begin just yet.

Finster moves 3 Might into the battlespace.
Sitra raises 1 Might, opposes Finster with 2 Might.
Finster wins the battle, with 1 Might still in the battlespace!

Sitra assigns 3 unassigned Influence to stirring Unrest in the Jarldom of Finster, pushing Unrest to 4 (5 without Peacekeeping).  Revolt will happen at 7 Unrest.  Any Unrest at the start of next turn will count against PC gains.

Razing will occur at the conclusion of the conflict, as only uncontested territory can be razed.

Diplomatic Overtures

The Conclave of Sitra puts out a plea to one of the major nations; it will speak an Alliance with any major nation that can prevent the Jarldom of Finster or other hostile parties from capturing/razing any of its infrastructure.

The Jonasburg Barony offers assistance to the Jarldom of Finster; if it comes to an extended armed conflict, it will provide 1 Might toward the Finsterian invasion in return for unopposed looting rights of at least 1 Infrastructure.  It expects to retain those looting rights if armed conflict is avoided by its threat.

The Pankhaganate of Yon'daer makes the same offer to the Jarldom of Finster, but will contribute 2 Might as deterrent/assistance in exchange for looting rights of at least 2 Infrastructure from the Conclave.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:23:04 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:46 am »

Huh, where did they get 2 Might? i thought they have...oh okay. didn't consider that. In that case here goes the reassignment.
And can i wait out whether i use the Additional Force Support of the Phankaghanate and the Jonasburgs? And another question if indeed they do send the additional Might...is it mine then to spend(aka can i use it to raze some more infrastructure) or does it stay theirs?

Actions:
1PC: Use another 1 Might to raze the remaining economy of Sitra.
1,2 PC: Use 1,2 Wealth to raise another 2 Might

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 09:10:32 am »

I'll clarify the terms of their offer.  Basically, if anyone opposes you from trying to raze infrastructure in Sitra (i.e. the other players) with the threat of Might, they will throw in up to 3 Might themselves as a deterrent.  If the other players back off or it turns into an actual conflict, the Barony and Pankhaganate will then expect you to leave 3 of Sitra's Infrastructure unrazed for them to loot.

If nobody intervenes, they'll just move in there and mop up after you.  They're essentially playing scavenger and are offering you help so that you don't try and stop them.

Sometimes nations will offer you Might straight up as mercenaries that you can use as you see fit (including against them, if you're feeling treacherous), but this isn't one of those times.

The reason for this is that you can't raze infrastructure in Sitra until you are unopposed in that battlespace, i.e. the other players have had a chance to move Might in themselves to prevent you razing / have opted to ignore your attack for their own reasons.  Otherwise you'd have an unfair advantage because I saw your post first.  :P
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:01 am »

good okay. But i still can take their offers later on if somebody should decide to go to war?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:05 am »

Depends on the war.  They might offer you another deal.  This one specifically pertains to people trying to stop you looting Sitra.  The Pankhaganate is committed to supplying Might in your defense should someone attack you directly.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:48 am »

That was what i meant :P

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:31 am »

Never mind, I'm an idiot. There's a minor factions spoiler
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:56:50 am by Urist_McDrowner »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 10:14:43 am »

Oh, delightful oppportunities...

I'll ask my allies whether they would be ready to lend me their troops to help Sirta. They shall be paid in wealth.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 10:15:34 am »

The King of the Wall looked over the Grand Cavern. Nobles, courtiers and others from around Albion had gathered at the seat of the Iron King. His advisers showed him what was happening in the world and what was becoming of Sitra. He silenced the cries of the various Aristocracy with a sweeping hand. "The Wall will respond, The Wall will go to war!"

Accpect Sitra's offer
Move 2 Might into Sitra and fight off the invaders.
Tell Hark to move some of their Might in too.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:11 am »

ACTION: Take the offer of the Pankhaganate, the Jonasburgs and add the Military Might of my Vassal to it. All will intercede if anybody tries to stop me from razing.

Sheb, you are aware that Jonasburg is your ally, who is offering me troops? Besides it's far more profitable for you if you help me raze Sitra and fight off the Iron Wall.

As expected the Iron Wall was moving to help its attacked neighbours. Their Military response however was more than lacklustre a force easily beaten with the additional help by the Horsewarriors of the Khaganate and the Jonasburg Militias.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:26:31 am by Ghazkull »

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:47 am »

Confirm with my allies that they would be willing to move in with my soldiers. (That doesn't count as my whole turn, right?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:21:00 am by Urist_McDrowner »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 10:25:20 am »

Oh, well. Ghazkull, for 1 Wealth, I won't tell my ally not to help you. I might even help you too.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 10:28:29 am »

he gets 6 Wealth out of it if he helps me.

I however propose an Alliance against the Iron Wall. I will even raze their lands for you and give you the money to build your Economic Infrastructure next turn if you agree.

EDIT: just 3...but anyway. I doubt they will let off such a good opportunity because you simply say so. If you want 1 Wealth for an Alliance against the Iron Wall you can have 3 Instead but after i take Sitra.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:31:02 am by Ghazkull »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:45 am »

He only get two monies. At the risk of loosing one Might. Shouldn't be that hard to put him off.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18