Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: elves make the best companions in adventure mode  (Read 2297 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
elves make the best companions in adventure mode
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:15 am »

has anyone noticed that all other companion races always randomly run after any wild animal they encounter and try to kill it? ranged companions waste ammunition and melee companions get left behind. So far i havent found a way to prevent this; until i recruited some elves from a elven fortress (mod) as companions and they ignore all animals. Sure they wont help you against packs of giant dingoes, but they dont get left behind so you have more meatshields for when it really counts, like when you finally make it to the bandit camp or bronze colossi area.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: elves make the best companions in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:30:03 am »

I thought fluffy wamblers were the ideal companions to take into bronze colossus territory.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:37 am »

elves have crap weapons and armor.
now old adventures are the best in my view, good weapons, skills and stats.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:34:21 am »

Wooden shields > all else
light and gets the job done
Bonus points if its feather wood

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:02 am »

elves have crap weapons and armor.
now old adventures are the best in my view, good weapons, skills and stats.

true, but i always end up needed to put down my old adventurers cuz their always necromancers/vampires, and their always so snobby saying "haha peasant, it is i who would lead you, but i have no need of your protection"; and its quite satisfying using townfolk as fodder and biting them in the ankle from behind and ripping their feet off.

anyway, yea elves have crappier gear, but they are usually the only source of wooden shields that are second only to candy in weight. They also tend to have more experience if they are a worldgen character since its impossible for them to naturally die from old age. And as mentioned in OP they wont run away from your party going for random animals, fulfilling their purpose as fodder in death when needed, better compared to regular companions.

lol kinda ninja'd on the wooden shield part

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

light shields dont have good blunt attacks.
even lead shield is only 17 R for a human.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »

I like heavy shields. My Swordsmaster Necromancer kills as many peons with his shield has with his sword, due to jammed skulls being good for reanimation.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »

i have to disagree, heavy shields slow you down and since i trained wrestling im actually deadlier without my shield rather than with it. Many times when i come across an elite unit that dodges most of my weapon swings i drop my shield or take 1 step back and lob my shield at them, and then proceed to charge and grab their weapon with my now-free hand. With their weapon grabbed, they cant attack me with it until they break free, i then grab them on another body part and disarm them by gaining possession of their weapon (or if they dont have a shield, i just cut their arms off, but they tend to parry alot...).

IMO shields are only useful for blocking, since i can easily kill enemies just as well with one of my multiple weapons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:11 am »

has anyone noticed that all other companion races always randomly run after any wild animal they encounter and try to kill it? ranged companions waste ammunition and melee companions get left behind. So far i havent found a way to prevent this; until i recruited some elves from a elven fortress (mod) as companions and they ignore all animals. Sure they wont help you against packs of giant dingoes, but they dont get left behind so you have more meatshields for when it really counts, like when you finally make it to the bandit camp or bronze colossi area.
Completely ineffective against well equipped bandits. It need not matter that your companions disappear every now and then, there are always plenty within travelling distance of a town.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:15:38 am »

Completely ineffective against well equipped bandits. It need not matter that your companions disappear every now and then, there are always plenty within travelling distance of a town.

hmm well i never expect my companions to ever kill anyone, they just need to be able to take a few hits without dieing so i can get behind the enemy and bite their ankle or wrist and tear it off.

But i guess you might have a point, you want well-armed companions near the start because if you give in to pain they need to be able to fight on their own until you can recover.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

hmm well i never expect my companions to ever kill anyone, they just need to be able to take a few hits without dieing so i can get behind the enemy and bite their ankle or wrist and tear it off.

But i guess you might have a point, you want well-armed companions near the start because if you give in to pain they need to be able to fight on their own until you can recover.
Killing some is better than killing none, it leaves little for chance - chance to kill you.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »

Gen a cosmopolitan world where elves have moved into human towns, then recruit centuries-old combat vets with metal equipment. In my current party I have a skinny female master lasher who chips bones left and right and dodges anything thrown at her, even while knocked down. So far, she's followed me through several bandit camps, dungeons and a necro tower, without a scratch. Best companion since the flax devil who tore off limbs with her bare hands (and of course my other, human, master lasher who is scarred from head to toe but still alive, armed and dangerous after some thirty major battles).

With a little tactical planning and some patience, even ordinary mortals can be far more than meat shields. One of my favorite adventure mode moments happened when I was lying in the dark below a temple, wounded, unconscious and getting kicked in the head by armless crossbowmen. In this game, that's when you're supposed to die. Not this time, though. My companions, who had been fully occupied at the other end of the room, finished off their own opponents, came to the rescue and then stood guard by my side until I woke up.

Sukiari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 06:38:30 pm »

Lots of towns have only a few possible worthwhile companions, unfortunately.  A fortress or a town with a keep are the only places where I ever manage to find more than perhaps one or two warriors.

Of course when you get more heroic you can recruit fishery workers and such to roll as companions, and despite it generally being fatal for them, I have had a few different civilian class companions that worked out well.  I am supposing that as time goes on, with more combat experience, companions can level up so to speak, but maybe it's all just luck.  I haven't checked the rules yet.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »

Killing some is better than killing none, it leaves little for chance - chance to kill you.
but by the time all my allies are dead, the bandits' bowmen are disarmed with their bow (sometimes their arms) on the ground, and most of the bandits are missing feet or at least have their leg bones fractured.

i then proceed to go for the ones trying to run crawl away/giving in to pain and clean up.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »

With mods: my favorite companions ((after modding them able too speak)) is Harpy's: those mean birds fly above your head, and  remove your scalp with skulls, Elf fanatics are exactly what regular elf's are,except they use dwarven sets of armor to fight in stead of wooden armor, And they are trap-void: there only problem is: they always are against some dwarven towns.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.
Pages: [1] 2