Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good Visual Novel?  (Read 3718 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Good Visual Novel?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:00:27 am »

Honestly, the intro of the Wikipedia article explains it pretty well. There's nothing snobby about the term; it's a category. Also doesn't have to involve anime style, but I've never seen one that doesn't.

"What's all this racket up here, son? You readin' yer anime choose your own adventure books again?"
"They're called VISUAL NOVELS, dad. They're not choose your own adventure and they're not books. They're a legitimate category from a country superior to ours with deep, intricate plots that a BAKA GAIJIN like you wouldn't understand. Read for a second."
Am I kawaii? Uguu~
rage comics ruined this face

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:46 am »

Katawa Shoujo has been my recent favorite VN (a actual VN without minigames or gimmicks)

I love it for the fact its one of the few homebrew releases that is so amazing http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/

Why has no one mentioned Hatoful Boyfriend.
Cause good lord give me back my catgirls >:I

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:36:40 am by Tellemurius »

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:51:36 am »

Katawa Shoujo has been my recent favorite VN (a actual VN without minigames or gimmicks)

I love it for the fact its one of the few homebrew releases that is so amazing http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/

Like I said, its one of the two I'm playing right now. Actualy, I'm -almost- done with my first playthrough as I type this.

Hanako makes me have so many feels I don't know what they all are.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:54:33 am by Foamybeard »
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:24 am »

Like I said, its one of the two I'm playing right now. Actualy, I'm -almost- done with my first playthrough as I type this.

Hanako makes me have so many feels I don't know what they all are.
nerp herp derp :P

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:06 am »

Just finished the Hanako route of Katawa Shoujo.

So many feels... I think this is the first time I've cried over a work of fiction. Thanks, for your posts, everyone. Keep posting if you have more, however. Haha.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:57 am »

lets see since you said eroge was ok for you.

Snow Sakura: if you want a derp relationship here you go.
True Love: its technically a h-game but the work you have to put into (considered the best sim-dating game due to its complexity)
Tomoyo After: its a alternate path for Clannad, it does have h-scenes but only in the beginning and the ending is sad as ever ;_;

Thats all i can think of, Toony already mentioned the Liar-soft VNs (i was the first guy to recommend those here :P), and i also have VNs that has so much H that it just breaks your brain requiring a cold shower and deletion from the computer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:43 am »

Are there multiple opinions on Kara no Shoujo, by the way?  I have a strange and powerful desire for it, but I'm not sure if that's stupid or what.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:53 am »

I'd still like to see (me and a few million other people, no doubt) an english translation of Shinji Ikari Raising Project

Romancing Asuka sounds like fun fun to me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 08:56:51 am »

Because mediocre gimmicky crap like Hatoful Boyfriend and Katawa Shoujo that draw popularity in their stupidly disgust me.

Are there multiple opinions on Kara no Shoujo, by the way?  I have a strange and powerful desire for it, but I'm not sure if that's stupid or what.
It's okay.  You'll need a walkthrough to finish it though unless you're really really good at being psychic.  I don't think the MC was too likable though.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:28 am »

Because mediocre gimmicky crap like Hatoful Boyfriend and Katawa Shoujo that draw popularity in their stupidly disgust me.

I actually thought the Idea for Katawa Shoujo was pretty good, as a disabled person myself. So there.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:18 am »

Having played several VN's; on one hand, comedic parody that has it's own twists and plots. On the other, genre full of tearful elements that are for weeping and drama.

Yeah I prefer pigeons :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:26 am »

._.

I really like both of those games.  Katawa Shoujo has great music and interesting characters, and Hatoful Boyfriend is like a little short-story collection.  There's nothing wrong with laughing, or with having games that are pared down to the necessary scenes.

And, more than that, I really like playing games that are cute without having any sort of uguu~ component.  Even Analog: A Hate Story had too much moe-moe for me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

That reminds me; Christine Love has made some good things that are mostly considered VNs.
Digital: A Love Story (free)
don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story (free)
Analogue: A Hate Story
The first is very short, about 1 hour; the second is two or three hours long; and the third is about five hours, average, IIRC.
Digital doesn't actually have meaningful plot choices, but it's interactive.

"What's all this racket up here, son? You readin' yer anime choose your own adventure books again?"
"They're called VISUAL NOVELS, dad. They're not choose your own adventure and they're not books. They're a legitimate category from a country superior to ours with deep, intricate plots that a BAKA GAIJIN like you wouldn't understand. Read for a second."
Visual novel is just a shorter, more accurate way of saying it. The basic concept is the same as choose your own adventure, and they're like books on a computer. My point was that there's no need to call them anything but visual novels because the term exists and isn't difficult to understand.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:54 pm »

Am I kawaii? Uguu~
rage comics ruined this face
Uguu~ does actually originate from a Visual Novel.  Kanon I think.

And, more than that, I really like playing games that are cute without having any sort of uguu~ component.  Even Analog: A Hate Story had too much moe-moe for me.
Yeah, that's fair enough considering moe-moe is undeniably poison.  Shikkoku no Sharnoth has seemed ok so far (it's the first time I've ever heard ToonyMan use the word "cute" on anything) depending on your tolerance for having characters pointlessly named after authors.
e: and horrifying eyes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:50:08 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 [2]