Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic Mafia?  (Read 6915 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
Epic Mafia?
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:25:16 pm »

I'm not advertising the game, asking if anybody played it, and why can't we host Mafia games on EpicMafia? I think it'd be fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mafia?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:24 pm »

Well, because we can play mafia here, for one thing. Does epicmafia have something that'd make it worthwhile to use over here or, say, IRC?

Also, I've never played it, but every time I hear someone mention it they're talking about how awful it is. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:29:54 am »

I have no poker face.  I don't even have poker skin.  I can't lie about my character's name in a role-playing game without stuttering, for goodness' sakes!

This is why I do not play Mafia IRL, or via webcams, or via anything but text.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:26:44 am »

Um Vector?
EpicMafia is text..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:26 am »

I guess her point is that we've a Mafia board here. We play Mafia, here.

Also, more fun here :P

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:21:55 am »

I'm not advertising the game, asking if anybody played it, and why can't we host Mafia games on EpicMafia? I think it'd be fun.

If you're asking why more people aren't over there, EpicMafia isn't popular for the same reason MafiaScum isn't, and the same reason the Starcraft community isn't entirely homogeneous with the Warcraft community, or LoL with DotA. That might sound circlejerky, but the appeal is different, and that means play becomes difficult.

I'm not especially interested in hosting games there while I can find enough players here, primarily because my games require a lot of effort to prepare on my part and I'm not interested in doing that for a community I'm unfamiliar with. Nor do I have time to go through the lengthy process of mutual familiarisation and buildup of trust again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:57 am »

Eh, I thought the only reason why you'd want to make us move from our little forums was the webcam chat reason.

It's nice to play at other places so you can see how their gametypes are different and stuff like that.  I really like some of the crazy shit run at the xkcd forums, for example.  However, they seem to hate me there... I fingered scum on their first post and the person didn't go "Wow, that Vector is awesome!," they went "That Vector is the most horrible and annoying person I've ever played with!"

On the other hand, I tend to think that anyone who spends more time analyzing than gathering information has a lousy day game, so what do I know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:44 pm »

I enjoy running games more than playing them. I'm basically not going to be able to run a game anywhere else without having to "do my time in the trenches" again at this point. Many other places, like EpicMafia, I feel like my proposal to run a Revolution game would have failed pretty hard. That's not really appealing to me. And Maybe I'm wrong, but ultimately most places end up with their own game-feel, and I like the game-feel here better than other places I've tried.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:28:39 pm by GlyphGryph »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »

However, they seem to hate me there... I fingered scum on their first post and the person didn't go "Wow, that Vector is awesome!," they went "That Vector is the most horrible and annoying person I've ever played with!"
Is it anything like when you started playing and I called you out as scum so often you refused to join games I was in?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

Something like that, except for the fact that they had a large database of This Is How Mafia Is to Be Mafia'd And She Is Destroying Everything, and my discomfort was largely fueled by panic attacks =)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »

I don't like Epic Mafia's metagame, and it also has some pretty painful roles (like Politician).  I've always preferred #mafia.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:54:20 pm »

Politician?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

A doublevoter that randomly changes teams.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »

lol. How in the hell are you supposed to get a read on that?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »

Something like that, except for the fact that they had a large database of This Is How Mafia Is to Be Mafia'd And She Is Destroying Everything, and my discomfort was largely fueled by panic attacks =)
Oh, mafia meta. You devil, you. Those who refuse to learn only blame innovators.
Pages: [1] 2