Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215658 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #2145 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »

I liked it better when Scottish drug laws accidentally legalised MDMA. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: December 08, 2017, 12:51:05 am »

I think that was the Irish, too...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:52 am »

The Irish just dgaf about laws to begin with I guess. *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:45 am »

Better dead than... green? ???

It's not easy being... dead?  :-X

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:12 pm »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: December 08, 2017, 11:56:24 pm »

And the political donations laws are agitating the charities and environmental organisations.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/chilling-effect-charities-slam-foreign-donations-ban-20171205-gzyyc0.html
But unsurprisingly not the big corporate sponsors of the government, they are cheering for it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: December 09, 2017, 12:52:32 am »

Personally I think it's fair. If they're gonna get dirty in the political game, they should reveal whose team they're playing for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: December 09, 2017, 01:01:25 am »

And the political donations laws are agitating the charities and environmental organisations.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/chilling-effect-charities-slam-foreign-donations-ban-20171205-gzyyc0.html
But unsurprisingly not the big corporate sponsors of the government, they are cheering for it.

I don't know the legal specifics of how it works in the US, but here in the US, it's illegal to accept donations from foriegn sources. Obviously, big charitable and environmental organizations that work worldwide would get some donations from overseas, but as I mentioned, I don't know the specifics of how that would be handled over here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: December 09, 2017, 01:05:15 am »

Working in the healthcare industry, I know that anyone that publishes research supporting a change to current best practice guidelines for medical treatment is supposed to report any funding they are given by big pharma. Don't see why charities that want to change political policies shouldn't do the same for foreign donations.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: December 09, 2017, 01:11:02 am »

Transparency is fine and I'm sure they'd agree to be transparent, but that's not what the Australian government is asking them to do.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: December 09, 2017, 01:14:58 am »

Really? The news article linked said that they're just expected to play by the same rules as any other political party when they choose to get political.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: December 15, 2017, 05:02:31 am »

In response to an advisory rapport by a special commission instated to investigate and research sexual child abuse, the Australian government has ordered Australian catholic bishops to demand from the Vatican that they get rid of mandatory celibacy for priests.
The rapport found out that 7% of Australian priests are guilty of sexual abuse of minor boys and girls, between 1950 and 2010. Tens of thousands of children have been abused in this period.

Another recommendation in the rapport is to revoke parts of the right to silence that priests have when taking confession. the government is advised to create a new law that makes reporting child abuse mandatory, including confessions made in confidence to another priest.

Archbishop Denis Hart, one of the leaders of the Australian church, has already protested, and stated that any priest that breaks the vow of silence after confession will be immediatly excommunicated.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: December 15, 2017, 06:50:11 am »

Although I should probably be rational and evenhanded in my response;

Denis Hart is incredible scum. We don't know that he's a paedo priest, but he's an arch-conservative arch-bishop, so he's perfectly happy covering for kiddy fiddlers, and even if he isn't one, he's still as bad by association.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 10, 2018, 06:55:23 pm »

https://newmatilda.com/2018/01/10/sad-mark-latham-predicts-free-meat-for-all-in-stunning-save-australia-day-ad

Mark Latham has launched a "save Australia Day" advert, that's plainly as bonkers as Mark Latham is. It's not on TV yet but I saw it on Tom Ballard's show last night. A woman goes into a butchers and orders a pile of meat, the butcher asks here if she's throwing a party, she starts to speak, but then glances up at security cameras placed around the butcher's shop, her face drains of colour, and she makes her excuses and hurries out. e.g. Latham's ad is saying that scrapping Australia Day will lead to a full-on Stalinist surveillance state. When, of course, that won't happen at all. The date will just be moved a bit.

When pressed, Latham said it wasn't meant to be taken literally. However, it's done in a completely serious tone, so the actual impression you get from the ad is that whoever made it is a raving lunatic. That's just Latham however: tone deaf mental nutjob who has a thought process completely different to everyone else, then doesn't get why nobody gets it. He's so pathologically tone deaf compared to pretty much every other politician that I'm starting to suspect he might have a mental condition, e.g. slight Asperger's syndrome.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:11:01 pm by Reelya »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 11, 2018, 01:42:09 am »

In my opinion, scrapping Australia Day because it's offensive to a minority of Australians makes about as much sense as scrapping Easter or Christmas due to potentially offending non-Christians. There's always gonna be a subset of society that gets up in arms over something they see as contrary to their own private set of standards.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 163