Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214995 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1950 on: August 28, 2016, 05:57:23 am »

-snip-

Please DO say it! It's always nice to have the local point of view (even when we disagree). I promise to bark at martinuzz if he stops being nice to you. :D
Spoiler: Australasia! :D (click to show/hide)

Australasia, not Asia, remember!
!Australasia!
This is why I won't continue it because me and Reudh talked about it over the IRC. :P
But also the major part is because it is...very complicated. I get that it's a REALLY DISTRESSING MATTER, but what the international news isn't getting (y'know, past Du30's ROUGH AND COARSE LANGUAGE which is ugh), is...how annoyingly complex this all is. :I
If you want I could PM ya! Because as far as I know, we don't have a Philippines-included-politics-thread, but if we did, this may be a major topic at the moment which would be awkwardly quiet because of how complex it is. :'(

Well, apparently Philippines are fair game. :D But please do PM if you don't want to post here. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 05, 2016, 11:03:12 am »

Duterte has warned Obama to not critisize him about the many extrajudicial executions in his country, when the two presidents meet in Laos tomorrow.
He threatened if he does not comply,he will start calling him names.

To be exact, he said "I am the president of an independant nation, we've not been a colony anymore for a long long time. I don't answer to anyone except the Philippine people. You need to be respectful. So don't come with only questions. You asshole, or I will curse at you and call you names at the meeting."

It's a bit of a redundant threat, since in the threat itself he already calls Obama an asshole.

Since a bloody terrorist attack on a market last week, Duterte invented and instated the 'national state of lawlessness', which gives him the possibility to use the military as police.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 06, 2016, 01:06:02 am »

Duterte has apologized for calling Obama a son of a whore and said he did not mean it personally, after Obama cancelled the meeting between the two after the insult.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 06, 2016, 01:07:49 am »

Oh, Duterte!

*sitcom laughtrack*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 06, 2016, 02:33:32 am »

Dayum.
Good on Obama to call him out on it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 06, 2016, 03:34:36 am »

I think it's a good idea to use military to enforce civil law, said no one ever.

Sure, there's been a blurring of the lines over time, but law enforcement officers are trained to serve and protect the community. Military are trained to neutralise threats with deadly force. Confusing one for the other won't end well.

In Australia, things are still hilarious. To recap for those playing at home, the government in power won an election in 2013 that saw eighteen crossbench seats in the senate.

They didn't like that, so they changed the voting laws to make it more difficult for minor parties to win seats, then called for a new election.

We now have twenty crossbenchers as a result.

Anyway, the other funny story is that now the dust has settled from the election, it's time to get back to the business of nominally running the country. So in the lower house, with a scant majority of power, the current government lost control when their opposition did a quick headcount and realised three of the leading party's number were missing. Without them being present, the opposition managed to force several votes through before a series of frantic phone calls could summon the missing ministers back to their benches and give the current government enough clout to call the whole thing off for the day.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 06, 2016, 03:36:18 am »

Sure, there's been a blurring of the lines over time, but law enforcement officers are trained to serve and protect the community. Military are trained to neutralise threats with deadly force. Confusing one for the other won't end well.
Funnily enough, this has in recent years been reversed during unrest in the US.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:23 am »

Sometimes I empathise with our Prime Minister.
It's a painful experience.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 06, 2016, 07:13:41 am »

Duterte has apologized for calling Obama a son of a whore and said he did not mean it personally, after Obama cancelled the meeting between the two after the insult.

Come on man. I know that Duterte is hilarious and all, but isn't there an East Asian pol megathread? Operated by Redking? The Philippines is not Australasia.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 06, 2016, 07:42:14 am »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 06, 2016, 12:44:55 pm »

he's right, dude

just because you keep posting it here when there's a better thread for it doesn't mean you're in the right
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »

Regarding the senate, after 2 more senate elections (half seats vacated at each) with the new laws and current vote trends, as I understand it most of the non greens will dissapear. all the smaller ones bar one nation in qld (sigh) and the NXT in South Australia wouldn't have enough votes to get in on a half election either time, so the plan could still work out... it might just take 6 years.
Magma is overrated.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 11, 2016, 04:45:37 am »

In Sydney, a 22 year old man has been arrested and charged with terrorism and attempted murder, after he stabbed a random 59 year old pedestrian multiple times, and assaulted the police who came after him, while shouting his support for IS.
The victim is seriously injured, but in stable condition now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 11, 2016, 05:14:03 am »

Stop posting irrelevent crap on this thread, mart.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 11, 2016, 05:27:59 am »

ROFL

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 163