Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215028 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1935 on: August 22, 2016, 06:29:32 am »

Indeed, Duterte is much worse than Trump. Duterte actually kills people and leads death squads.
Point :O But an incomplete point. He's not promoting the outright killing of people--but the concept placed on people. Drug pushers and the like as an example. Given the really annoyingly stupidly complex situation we're in now, it's...the tip of the iceberg to hold that as the only idea in mind (especially given his...EQ and what's going on in the international papers). One of the things in uncovering how much of a mess drugs are in relation to the populace + facing human rights things + facing his own traumatic experiences with drug users along with the experiences of the masses who do suffer under similar reasons + the bloody depth drugs can pervade a government regardless of authoritarial standing = complicated.

Yeah, it's a very touchy issue when you hear about people dying. I'm hearing about it all from the forefront and being dug into the news about it, it's very sensitive that just judging won't bring much.

Which is what I meant by my past post. Stop comparing people and then using those comparisons solely to draw solutions, because it doesn't do well for understanding the situation. Judging the situation, yep, but not fully understanding it for progress into a better outcome. It's also putting labels down on it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:08 am »

What has been happening now is no solution to a drug problem though. It will only push it more underground, likely making it more lucrative for the big players. Of the 1900 dead so far, 800 have been killed by police forces, 1100 by unknown people. You really think that all the bullet riddled and cut up corpses with cardboard signs saying 'I am a drug dealer' were really drug dealers? Chances are that significant part of them were just victims of completely drug unrelated crime. Duterte basically just legalized killing each other for everyone, as long as you make sure to leave a cardboard sign.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:53:54 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 22, 2016, 07:07:28 am »

It's a game of wait and dread and wait and see.

I hope you're wrong, Martin.

Edit: This thread is a lot less hilarious than is advertised. It's more... Bleakly distressing. :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:09:06 am by Edmus »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 22, 2016, 07:16:16 am »

What has been happening now is no solution to a drug problem though. It will only push it more underground, likely making it more lucrative for the big players. Of the 1900 dead so far, 800 have been killed by police forces, 1100 by unknown people. You really think that all the bullet riddled and cut up corpses with cardboard signs saying 'I am a drug dealer' were really drug dealers? Chances are that significant part of them were just victims of completely drug unrelated crime. Duterte basically just legalized killing each other for everyone, as long as you make sure to leave a cardboard sign.
>___> This is the part where I bop you for assuming my stance. (And pretty much having an incomplete idea of it but making conclusions)
That was my point. :-\ (And incomplete news to me) Those who were tagged can not be justified as such because of the background. This also includes the context of those enacting such events; this includes people who have grudges, those who are in private militias, those who are police officers themselves--it's very vague and muddled. Because you have to assume the context.

Duterte didn't "legalize" killing each other. That act of killing those people is illegal and nowhere should it be said that it is legal. He made this a point WHEN he did speak against drug pushers and the like. I made the note of 'killing drug pushers' an extremely blunt one because that doesn't make it legal because there is context towards what he said about it--and what is being made within legal terms about it. Taking matters merely by words alone will bring a lot of misconception (ie If you take every crude saying as "YES LET'S DO THIS. GO SIGNAL IS GO.", it'll mess up everything. That's not how this works.)

Either it's the lack of looking into what the news reports or just reliance on the media to bring the whole story that gives off that impression--but ever since the first time it was reported in our news about those cardboard justice events, we haven't thought along that one line of reasoning you put down there.

Maaaan. <_< That wording. Rather than assuming what the other person is saying and responding to that assumption, discuss what's going on. (Although I read the 'you' as in referring to me rather than the public 'you' in an interrogative/questioning way so...wording >.<). Basic thing is, that cardboard justice is pretty obvious that it's something immature given the legal proceedings nowadays. "Slap a tag on them, they're guilty and the dead can't justify themselves [leave it to their family, {implication #2}, etc...]"

Edit: This thread is a lot less hilarious than is advertised. It's more... Bleakly distressing. :P
It's how it's going. Something best handled without the recent way of discussing it (because it's utterly complex and people are working on it :v and I've a lot to say about it but am not because argh. I'd also be mentioning that martinuzz' comment towards possibly-me about that assumption is, culturally, indecent in the least, and ignorant at best. We as Filipinos aren't standing by while this happens. While the rest of the world may see this as the tip of the iceberg, we are in the bloody iceberg.)
Martin is incomplete--because the media reports do not have exacts; this lack of exacts brings across assumptions, and in dealing with delicate issues, may be 'hyped'. Which is ANNOYINGLY what's going on in many places that dwarf what's really happening <_<
People should take an educated rather than a reactive stance to this. Awareness is a core value that will help a lot, and knowledge of using this awareness is the next step.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:48:01 pm by Tiruin »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 25, 2016, 02:51:32 am »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 27, 2016, 10:56:55 pm »

Microsoft's Bing Maps recently place Melbourne in the ocean east of Japan!

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/08/27/2344213/microsoft-lost-a-city-because-they-used-wikipedia-data

Though they're trying to minimize it, the recent relocation of Melbourne Australia to the ocean east of Japan in Microsoft's flagship mapping application is blamed on someone having flipped a sign in the latitude given for the city's Wikipedia page. Which may or may not be true. But the simple stupidity of using a globally-editable data source for feeding a mapping and navigation system is ... "awesome" is (for once) an appropriate word.

"Bing's not alone in finding Australia hard to navigate," reports The Register. "In 2012 police warned not to use Apple Maps as it directed those seeking the rural Victorian town of Mildura into the middle of a desert."

Goddamit, Apple and Microsoft have something against Victoria. They want to drown Melburnians, and bake the Mildura people to death.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 27, 2016, 11:01:44 pm »

You can't blame tech companies for this. Australia's dimensional fold massively interferes with GPS systems, who are reliant on general relativity always being consistent to function.

If the Australians are really so upset that companies don't always have perfect mapping, then maybe they should just turn off the rift engine and go back to their own fucking timeline. Oh, I'm sorry, do you suddenly want to stay? What a shock.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 28, 2016, 02:02:08 am »

If we did that then how would we infiltrate our animals of death into your population centres?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:42 am »

Something best handled without the recent way of discussing it (because it's utterly complex and people are working on it :v and I've a lot to say about it but am not argh. I'd also be mentioning that martinuzz' comment towards possibly-me about that assumption is, culturally, indecent in the least, and ignorant at best. W
Martin is incomplete--because the media reports do not have exacts; this lack of exacts brings across assumptions, and in dealing with delicate issues, may be 'hyped'. Which is ANNOYINGLY what's going on in many places that dwarf what's really happening <_<
People should take an educated rather than a reactive stance to this. Awareness is a core value that will help a lot, and knowledge of using this awareness is the next step.

Please DO say it! It's always nice to have the local point of view (even when we disagree). I promise to bark at martinuzz if he stops being nice to you. :D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 28, 2016, 05:05:36 am »

Also,

Australasia, not Asia, remember!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 28, 2016, 05:26:15 am »

Quote from: Old OP
To go along with the other politics megathreads, why not have Australasian politics?
At the very least, it could be certainly very amusing to yap about Australian and Oceanian politics (lol Abbott lol Gillard)... so go right ahead!

So, old news, but how about that blistering speech Gillard gave Abbott on misogyny a while back?
Wider Geographic Oceania

Technically Correct is best Correct!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 28, 2016, 05:30:00 am »

Weird thought when viewing image above exposing larger amount of ass end of globe: Why don't we have a politics thread for Antarctica anyway? Considering moving there due to current lack of douche-bag politicians. Power-goal: Become first douche-bag politician of Antarctica and lobby for inclusion into Australasia, found penal colony for illegal immigrants, ???, profit.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 28, 2016, 05:33:58 am »

-snip-

Please DO say it! It's always nice to have the local point of view (even when we disagree). I promise to bark at martinuzz if he stops being nice to you. :D
Spoiler: Australasia! :D (click to show/hide)

!Australasia!
This is why I won't continue it because me and Reudh talked about it over the IRC. :P
But also the major part is because it is...very complicated. I get that it's a REALLY DISTRESSING MATTER, but what the international news isn't getting (y'know, past Du30's ROUGH AND COARSE LANGUAGE which is ugh), is...how annoyingly complex this all is. :I
If you want I could PM ya! Because as far as I know, we don't have a Philippines-included-politics-thread, but if we did, this may be a major topic at the moment which would be awkwardly quiet because of how complex it is. :'(

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 28, 2016, 05:46:20 am »

Also,

Huh? Phillipines is part of Australasia. Or were you referring to another post? It's the top left island on the map you posted.
I even bothered to check before posting about the Phillipines, on this visa site:
http://www.projectvisa.com/regions/Australasia
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:48:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: August 28, 2016, 05:54:18 am »

A more credible source! That means Philippines and Indonesia is fair game. Yay. :D

Edit. Nevermind, it's not part of the list under "Australasia". Boo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:56:37 am by majikero »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 163