Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214956 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1890 on: August 06, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

I thought the senate voting reforms removed that quirk, making so that if your preferences run out, they don't get determined by the parties, they just run out. I've heard it said that because of a lack of these preference deals, One Nation got a leg up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1891 on: August 07, 2016, 04:16:59 pm »

His previous writing indicates that he believes a shadowy cabal of bankers is controlling world affairs.
But who banks the bankers

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1892 on: August 07, 2016, 09:41:24 pm »

His previous writing indicates that he believes a shadowy cabal of bankers is controlling world affairs.
But who banks the bankers
Jersey

E: Too real
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:31:41 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 09, 2016, 05:53:36 am »

Happy Census Day Australia!

Just finished my paper copy, because I support dead trees like any DF player should.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:32 am »

Happy Census Day Australia!

Just finished my paper copy, because I support dead trees like any DF player should.

Probably wise, given the ABS currently has !!XxSERVERSxX!! Apparently even their DNS had started blowing up...

EDIT: Holy shit... word from my friend who works doing this sort of internet shiz;

The technical failure went from "haha you guys suck at provisioning capacity" to "how is it even possible to fuck up this bad" about 15 minutes ago. I've never seen DNS or core routing failures this bad before in my life, and I've worked on systems that get 30x the population of Australia accessing them all at once. Looking at the IX data flow metrics right now and it's obscene. Equinix just blackhole routed (cut off all traffic) to the ABS.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:17:06 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:52 am »

Knew I should have ordered a paper form...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 09, 2016, 07:57:01 am »

You have until some time in September to finish it without risk of fines. I wonder how many people will boycott it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:02 am »

Yeah, census no worse than Facebook? Screw you Michael, does that mean I get to choose not to participate in the census because I don't have a Facebook page? I don't carry a smartphone so tracking info is based on closest tower only, I don't use rewards cards. Hell, I even pay cash whenever I can choose to do so. I'm definitely not off the grid, but at least I don't face a fine for reducing my exposure.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: August 09, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »

Apparently the abs was dos'd, which makes them seem marginally less incompetent.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/australian-bureau-of-statistics-says-census-website-hacked/7712216

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »

Apparently the abs was dos'd, which makes them seem marginally less incompetent.

Marginally is the word. They're honestly telling us they couldn't implement any of the suite of DDoS mitigation techniques that exist in the modern era?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:26 am »

The Nauru files are going to take the focus off the census debacle, but I don't think the government will be thankful for it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: August 10, 2016, 03:06:15 am »

Yeah, census no worse than Facebook? Screw you Michael, does that mean I get to choose not to participate in the census because I don't have a Facebook page? I don't carry a smartphone so tracking info is based on closest tower only, I don't use rewards cards. Hell, I even pay cash whenever I can choose to do so. I'm definitely not off the grid, but at least I don't face a fine for reducing my exposure.
The insistence of everybody else on having a social media page mystifies me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: August 12, 2016, 04:39:49 am »

Wow, in Thailand there have been 9 terrorist attacks over the past 24h.
When I went to sleep yesterday, two remotely controlled bombs had been set off, killing 1 and wounding a few dozen.
This morning's paper tells me that that number has increased to 9 bombs, at different tourist locations around the country.
The 9 explosions occured at 5 places: Hua Hin, Phuket, Phang Nga, Surat Thani and Trang.
It's likely one explosive didn't go off and hasn't been found. The bombs, hidden in flower pots, were triggered by mobile phone, in pairs with a delay in between.
One bomb would go off and not injure too many, the second bomb would go off when police, medics and a gazing crowd had formed, making more victims.

The Thai government stresses that it not the work of some international terror group like IS, but rather the work of local saboteurs.
Authorities say there's a total of 4 dead and 35 people injured, of whom the majority tourists.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 12, 2016, 05:43:51 am »

Unless some Aussies got blown up that's a derail. Make other thread.

Australasia is an incredibly well-defined area of the world. Thailand is 6000 thousand kilometers away from Australasia. Thailand news doesn't belong in this thread any more than sub-saharan Africa news belongs in the EU thread.

And i have Asian heritage so I'm not being racist here. It's just annoying for some white person from the other side of the world to lump all Asian bits as one place.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:56:43 am by Reelya »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: August 12, 2016, 06:07:51 am »

And i have Asian heritage so I'm not being racist here. It's just annoying for some white person from the other side of the world to lump all Asian bits as one place.

They arent all the same?  :P

http://www.japochi.com/

Russia vs. France is much more difficult though!
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 163