Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214923 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1800 on: July 23, 2016, 03:57:37 am »

Far more agricultural work's done by hand in China than with multi-million dollar John Deere machinery. Doesn't matter in the end, since all that loss means there's thousands of people that won't have enough to eat soon. Hopefully the government can step in and ensure the safety of their population.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 23, 2016, 04:59:21 am »

Netherlands has over 7 times the GDP per capita of China, so in terms of peoples livelihoods, $3 billion in China is equivalent to ~$22 billion in Holland. But the average income in rural china is < $1700, which is about 1/30th of the average income in the Netherlands. So $3 billion in Chinese farm damages is equivalent to almost $100 billion damages in Netherlands in terms of how many people were affected.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:13:21 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 23, 2016, 05:11:57 am »

What's disturbing is that damage to agriculture from extremely wet weather and or extreme drought in EU countries this year will costs the EU taxpayer significantly more than the Greek 80 billion bailout, because insurance companies don't even cover half of the damage, which leads to the state compensating farmers with either direct compensation (rare, cause EU forbids subsidizing) or cheap loans, to keep them from going bankrupt. And it's expected that this will be a recurring thing because global warming, yet the Greek bailout got all the media and populist's attention, and this gets near to none.

Fruit and vegetable prices expected to rise steeply the coming years. Vegetable megacompany Hak has announced that so many vegetables were lost in the Netherlands and France, that it cannot guarantee it will be able to stock EU supermarkets with some of the common veggies like peas and carrots this autumn. There's more harvest lost than their deep frozen reseves can compensate for.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:13:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 23, 2016, 08:34:27 am »

If only Swedish vegetable producers hadn't been bought up and dismantled by European companies, and Swedish fruit was allowed to be sold in European countries...
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 23, 2016, 08:53:07 am »

I thought Sweden was rather far north to grow fruit? Yeah I know, global warming and also greenhouses, but still.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 23, 2016, 08:57:48 am »

Lol no, how do you think we lingonberry?

The reason we aren't allowed to sell fruit is that we don't use as much pesticide as the European countries and EU mandates a certain amount of toxicity on every fruit.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1806 on: July 23, 2016, 08:58:20 am »

I thought Sweden was rather far north to grow fruit? Yeah I know, global warming and also greenhouses, but still.
Sweden's southlands are very fertile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 23, 2016, 09:09:25 am »

The reason we aren't allowed to sell fruit is that we don't use as much pesticide as the European countries and EU mandates a certain amount of toxicity on every fruit.

Berries are berries, not fruit, two completely different things..

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 23, 2016, 09:27:00 am »

If only Swedish vegetable producers hadn't been bought up and dismantled by European companies, and Swedish fruit was allowed to be sold in European countries...
lutfisk and surströmming don't actually count as fruit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1809 on: July 23, 2016, 09:37:41 am »

If we're gonna do that we're going to have to all bananas berries and strawberries fruits, and that shit would just cause international pandemonium and heavy casualties
For sake of sanity, Sweden does grow fruit

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 23, 2016, 09:50:56 am »

If we're gonna do that we're going to have to all bananas berries and strawberries fruits, and that shit would just cause international pandemonium and heavy casualties
For sake of sanity, Sweden does grow fruit

And Tomatoes, though the classic argument is 'is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?' and not 'is a tomato a berry or a fruit?' (scientifically, they're classified as a berry) But yeah, point taken.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:54 am »

Berries are a subtype of fruit anyway, not a separate category.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:49 am »

Meanwhile in Afghanistan, Kabul, a suicide terrorist blew himself up in the middle of a crowd of Hazara, a shiite minority that was protesting the lack of electrical network, which they have been asking for for a while now.
At least 61 people were killed, and hundreds of people wounded.

IS has claimed responsibility.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 23, 2016, 10:07:43 am »

Martinuzz, I think you've forgotten that this is the Australasian Politics thread. It's for happenings around Australia / New Zealand and the South Pacific in general.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 23, 2016, 10:08:14 am »

AustralAsian. Afghanistan is Asia, right?

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 163