Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 195878 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1410 on: March 29, 2014, 04:18:42 am »

With the same level of apathy and disinterest it's shown for the whole story so far.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 29, 2014, 04:30:33 am »

Oh Jimmy Sama, if only your own circle of friends was an accurate reflection of society in general.
You know I've been phone banking for Ludlam leading into the WA senate election, and the response as soon as they hear you are with the Greens is pretty much an even split between 'Fuck off, I vote liberals!' and 'Yea, we have to end offshore processing'. It is looking like one of the biggest issues around right now...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:48 am »

And now, ladies and gentlemen, get ready for a once in a lifetime event! For your eyes only, I am going to preform a feat never before attempted! I... Am going to post good news!
The International Court of Justice has ruled that the Japanese whale hunt is unscientific and therefor illegal! I'm not sure who is expected to enforce this rule, if it is us then it is pretty much meaningless. All our ships are busy pushing back asylum seekers... But still, good to hear we won the battle!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 31, 2014, 06:15:47 am »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:07 am »

Essentially, yeah. They were hunting whales in Australian borders, which is technically a maritime border violation, but that seems to be being overlooked.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 31, 2014, 09:20:38 am »

The concept of territorial water is quite fuzzy in international law. My understanding was that they were fishing in the EEZ, not territorial waters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:43 am »

Hmm, maybe, what is important is the cease and desist order...
Well you have had a taste of good news, back to the concentration camps! This time onshore... Asylum seekers taking legal action are being relocated to more remote locations the day before they return to court.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 01, 2014, 09:30:11 pm »

Yea, pretty much. Not to mention the unnecessary shark cull... News today is full of stuff about job losses, all boring for foreigners, so instead I bring you the coolest politician on earth.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 03, 2014, 05:34:49 am »

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/aboutturn-as-png-will-resettle-refugees-and-afp-offers-help-20140403-zqqcq.html

Papua New Guinea has agreed that all illegal immigrants found to actually be refugees will get free resettlement in PNG! Anyone else will be sent back where they come from.

Additionally we've got confirmation that not one person will be resettled in Australia if they attempted to enter illegally.

Looks like the boat people problem is officially solved.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:48 am »

Looks like the boat people problem is officially solved.

Horay, were saved! Its the end of the Boat People!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 03, 2014, 07:06:40 am »

The concept of territorial water is quite fuzzy in international law. My understanding was that they were fishing in the EEZ, not territorial waters.

The EEZ is still considered exclusively for that country unless trade agreements state otherwise - and if Japan were fishing tuna in our EEZ there would be absolutely no issue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 03, 2014, 08:23:40 am »

The EEZ means you have a right to the ressources within it. However, the Japanese aren't officially harvesting stuff, they're performing scientific research.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:39 am »

The EEZ means you have a right to the ressources within it. However, the Japanese aren't officially harvesting stuff, they're performing scientific research.

Though only two papers have been published during the current whaling mission (JARPA II), from 2005, taking 3,600 minke whales.

Prior to this, the JARPA I and JARPN I and II programs between them have produced 120 peer reviewed journals. It is very likely that JARPA I, JARPN I and JARPN II were truly scientific whaling, but given that the scientific output of just two journals from JARPA II is well below the amount that the previous three missions supplied it can be assumed it is non-scientific.

Thus, the International Court of Justice ruled that Japan must cease JARPA II, as it has not produced the expected amount of journals.

The ruling itself:

"In light of the fact the Jarpa II has been going on since 2005, and has involved the killing of about 3,600 minke whales, the scientific output to date appears limited, Japan shall revoke any existent authorisation, permit or licence granted in relation to Jarpa II and refrain from granting any further permits in pursuance to the program."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 03, 2014, 09:30:54 am »

Cool, I didn't know about that ruling.

Edit: And they confirmed they'll abide by the ruling.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:08:44 am by Sheb »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 04, 2014, 10:07:52 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, today is the official rumble in the West! After the botched result of the WA election, today is the revote. My prediction is two Libs, two Labs, a Ludlam and a libertarian. Honestly it doesn't matter if that sixth spot goes to Palmer or some other minor party, they will make a deal with the Palmer block anyway. Also interesting to note will be the number of labor votes below the line. Joe Bullock, the no 1 on Labor's ticket, is a very conservative unionist, and not very well liked by many on the left. There have been calls to boycott Labor above the line and either put Pratt first and Bullock much lower down, or just vote Greens. No enough Labor voters are politically engaged enough for it to deny Bullock his seat, but it will be a fun little figure either way.

Order of selection I'm guessing: David Johnston (Liberal), Joe Bullock (Labor), Michaelia Cash (Liberal), Scott Ludlam (Greens), Louise Pratt (Labor), [Insert name here]
Final candidate could be Fiona Patten (Sex), James Moylan (H.E.M.P.), Desmond  Headland (Palmer), Murray Bow (Shooters and Fishers) or just about anybody else.

Recent polling suggests that the Greens have the numbers to pull an entire seat on primary votes, but the Greens vote drops near elections due to not having the same funding for advertisements, still the effects of the last campaign might not have worn off yet and we really will see 15% primary, and that would be absurd and awesome. The other factor here is that the Pirates are running, and they weren't in it last time, so they will once again eat into Green votes, but that is fine, they preference the Greens anyway. Still, the left:right split is looking to go 3:3, but 4:2 is a remote possibility. If only Labor wasn't polling so poorly in WA, it would be a sure thing!

The other thing to watch will be if Palmer and/or the Liberal Democrats breech the 4% mark for those juicy refunds. After getting about 3.5% last time those Small Government Libertarians in the LD party must be drooling over the prospect of a government handout.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, back offshore. Eye witness accounts given to the ABC about the circumstances of the death on Manus Island. It is pretty grim stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 163