Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216205 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1395 on: March 27, 2014, 12:27:29 am »

Well, I'm pretty sure Indonesians can still get work visas, it'll just be a little more difficult. And I'm sure you've done your homework enough to realise that Canadians pretty much get an easy ticket in, as you guys are Commonwealthbros.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:31 am »

Yeah, I'm not worried about me getting in. My homework has surprised me on how hard it is to get into Canada and be able to work if you aren't a commonwealthbro though D=
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: March 27, 2014, 01:18:46 am »

What's so WTF about it? It's just an honorary title.

Mostly the irrelevancy of the whole thing. I don/t have a problem with the title as such, just why bring back an old tittle that's lost it's original meaning?

Greeaaat. My girlfriend is Indonesian, and Australia was one of the places we wanted to go where both an Indonesian and a Canadian could get a work visa

It'd surprise me if she can't. From people I meet they seem to be fairly easy to get. Particularly here in SA. They seem to be pushing for people to come & work on selective visas outside of Sydney & Melbourne.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:22 am »

Mostly the irrelevancy of the whole thing. I don/t have a problem with the title as such, just why bring back an old tittle that's lost it's original meaning?

Language evolve. A minister is not an adviser to a monarch anymore. Why keep that word? Plus, Knight sounds way more awesome than "Coll Dude of the Month". But then I come from a country where we hands out all kind of title to just about anyone. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: March 27, 2014, 05:02:17 am »

Greeaaat. My girlfriend is Indonesian, and Australia was one of the places we wanted to go where both an Indonesian and a Canadian could get a work visa
I think you are misinterpreting the relationship.
While yes, it is turning to shit before our eyes, the Australian Government doesn't want it to, and in true Coalition style instead of not pissing them off, they prefer to pretend everything is fine. As such we aren't going to be placing any visa restrictions any time soon, because we want to pretend we are still friends.
Should be fine.

Language evolve. A minister is not an adviser to a monarch anymore. Why keep that word? Plus, Knight sounds way more awesome than "Coll Dude of the Month". But then I come from a country where we hands out all kind of title to just about anyone. :p
I think it is a cultural thing. Over here royalty, nobility, the feudal system and anything relating to it such as knighthoods is linked to British Imperialism, the thing that bought a genocide against our native population. In practice nobody is that much against it, because it isn't actually hurting anybody, but the localized symbolism is important. Like you say, language evolves, and over here it has evolved into something not many like.
It is kind of like if Germany decided their leaders title would be 'The Führer', while it is just a word that means 'father', there is a little more too it to some people.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:23 am »

Actually it means "Leader";  Best Korea, much?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 27, 2014, 05:26:02 am »

Serious? I've been lied to! Heads must roll!

But really, what is it with evil leaders insisting on really lame titles? Heck if I was a dictator I would get a cool title like "Lord high inquisitor of the nine skies"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:46 am »

It is kind of like if Germany decided their leaders title would be 'The Führer', while it is just a word that means 'father', there is a little more too it to some people.
Naah, it's actually closer to 'guide' or 'leader' - there's even a joke like that: When Hitler was on vacation, was he a Reiseführer (tour guide)?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 27, 2014, 06:01:02 am »

I think you are misinterpreting the relationship.
While yes, it is turning to shit before our eyes, the Australian Government doesn't want it to, and in true Coalition style instead of not pissing them off, they prefer to pretend everything is fine. As such we aren't going to be placing any visa restrictions any time soon, because we want to pretend we are still friends.
Should be fine.

Oh, dude, I wasn't putting it on Australia at all, I've spent half a year in Indonesia and now half my friends are Indonesian, I know for a fact that corruption is a huge problem there. I assumed right of the bat it was probably a messy situation. I just heard from a few of my friends that relations between Indonesia and Australia are starting to get particularly strained, and I figured the best place to get an Australian opinion on this would be here
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 27, 2014, 06:05:40 am »

You should be putting a fair chunk of blame on Australia. We got caught spying on their industrial activities, we breached their ocean borders multiple times, our Prime Minister has charges against him over there for media bias and we keep sending life boats full of asylum seekers over to them. While I have no doubt that there is some degree of corruption and political showboating here from Indonesia being a problem, we are doing a pretty good job pissing them off.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 27, 2014, 06:15:45 am »

Hmm, all I knew about was that there still is a 30 year old sore spot about Australia supporting East Timur separating from Indonesia.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:05:07 am by Kedly »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 27, 2014, 10:45:04 am »

Seems to me the relationship between Indonesia & Australia is always a bit strained. It's a bit of a yo-yo depending on whether we've done anything recently to offend them. I suspect it will settle down again after a while & then flair up again next time our politicians say or do something stupid.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 27, 2014, 07:56:41 pm »

And now back to Insanity down under; Island of the mad edition!
Manus island staff have refused a barrister (You americans call them lawyers) access to the camp, even though he had a court order saying he could come in. He is representing 75 of the men there.
Legal structure? What legal structure?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 29, 2014, 03:20:49 am »

Well, the arguments that he can't practice as a lawyer in PNG holds water. That's why detention abroad is so nice.

But anyway, I got a plan: let's get all the asylum seekers law degrees, then they'll be deported from PNG into Australia too!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 29, 2014, 04:07:05 am »

Its genius!

In the meantime, the investigation into the asylum seeker who was murdered is looking at two Australians. Well this should be interesting. The picture painted so far in the media has been of a crowd of angry PNG locals attacking the place, with the support of the PNG guards, while the few noble Aussie guards try and defend the poor detainees. Wonder how the public will take it.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 163