Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216162 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1350 on: March 14, 2014, 07:01:06 am »

Still, someone who just saw your post and didn't bother to read the article (like me), would get the impression the Australian government is buying a second wooden ass, not finally deciding to pay for the one they promised to buy in the past.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 14, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »

Another whistle blower comes forward, this time about the conditions on Nauru, also he has a book.

Remembering that the Nauru camp, while initially opened by the Coalition, was closed when Labor came into power but then later reopned in 2012. So you know, Labor and the Coalition, partners in crimes against humanity.

Also: An article on the new anti-protester laws in Victoria. Still haven't seen one on an Australian site...

EDIT:
In other news, this group of year 9 students gives me some hope for the future.  Damn kids are more hard hitting than any media reporter.

EDIT: Election results for SA and TAS coming in! Tasmania has been called for the libs, but we all saw that coming. The question is who will be opposition? Looking good for the labs.
SA is still waaay too early to call, but looking good for labor. They may stick around with a reduced majority... Except they promised to make no deals with the Greens, so I have no idea how that will work out.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 15, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »

Yea, especially so if you lie to them and later on get called out for it...
Anyway, March in March is going on across the country, with a surprising turn out. Things are meant to start at 1 here in Sydney, but a thunderstorm is going to rain on that parade.

EDIT: Incoming news. ABC reporting on March in March.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 17, 2014, 02:56:47 am »

So, living in Adelaide these days. Was curious on peoples opinions on the possibility of a minority government for SA?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 17, 2014, 03:18:07 am »

It is pretty much certain right now. Hard to say exactly how the two independents in the lower house, Bob Such and Geoff Brock will roll, but it looks like Labor only needs support from one of the two to form government, so I think they have it. As for the Legislative Counsel, it appears the balance of power will be with John Darley, another independent that to my understanding is center left. So basically Labor takes government by a shoestring... Oh and also Mark Parnell, a greenie is in. Awkward...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 17, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 18, 2014, 03:57:55 am »

Fair's fair. If they want access to my browsing history, I want access to my local MP's history too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:19 am »

Good news is you can! Just join the RSPCA! Old news, but one of those things that is kind of shocking to find you missed.

In other news, revenge against the SBS.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »

Ludlam speech 2: Such meme. Not as cutting as last time, but some pretty funny moments.

EDIT: In other news, hard to say if this is sad or happy. Tri Nguyen, ex-refugee settled in Australia, walks to Canberra with a small boat.
He aims to arrive in Canberra on Good Friday, donate the little boat to Parliament, then attend an Easter Sunday ecumenical service on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin.

The small boat was made by Nang and was partly inspired by a ''profound'' Leunig cartoon of a man and a duck towing a trolley.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »

So basically Labor takes government by a shoestring...
So that happened.

In other news, asylum seekers will no longer be given access to human rights lawyers... So yea, I don't need to make analogies, they are Godwining themselves.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 23, 2014, 01:33:46 am »

So basically Labor takes government by a shoestring...
So that happened.

In other news, asylum seekers will no longer be given access to human rights lawyers... So yea, I don't need to make analogies, they are Godwining themselves.
I feel like just proving Godwin law right now but I don't want that smug bastard to win...

...Why is no-one in this country giving an damn about this, and accept THIS as real stable thinking choice
"It's a joint effort. We're the best judges in terms of what's happening on the ground, but we're in concert because this is a partnership. We're together," he said in an exclusive interview.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 23, 2014, 05:29:46 am »

...Why is no-one in this country giving an damn about this, and accept THIS as real stable thinking choice
"It's a joint effort. We're the best judges in terms of what's happening on the ground, but we're in concert because this is a partnership. We're together," he said in an exclusive interview.

We went through some possibilities earlier in the thead - mostly a combination of painting them as "criminals" (and thus justifying dehumanisation) and "Othering" them so we dont have to worry so much about their suffering (after all, its not us whose suffering ::)).

Regardless, you would think the government saying something like "We're the best judges in terms of what's happening" would set off alarm bells on peoples head.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:31 am »

We went through some possibilities earlier in the thead - mostly a combination of painting them as "criminals" (and thus justifying dehumanisation) and "Othering" them so we dont have to worry so much about their suffering (after all, its not us whose suffering ::)).

Regardless, you would think the government saying something like "We're the best judges in terms of what's happening" would set off alarm bells on peoples head.
Fuck it, I might as well say it

AUSTRALIA MIGHT AS WELL BE NAZI-GERMANY IN IT POST-WW1 DAYS

There, you won Godwin, you bastard

Edit: To be truthful, I am the kinda of person that would punch someone if they said that an someone 'suffering' because its not them...

Dammit, we need better news to at-least make it look the government it not COMPLETELY idiotic.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:00:22 am by Evilsx »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 23, 2014, 06:25:20 am »

To my understanding we haven't had a night of long knives... Yet. That comes April the 5th with the senate do-over when the Libs loose a senator. The question is to whom... I swear if Fiona Patten takes the seat from Scott Ludlam thanks to Labor giving preferences to the Sex Party instead of the Greens, there will be blood to pay.
To be honest I voted for them first preference in 2013, but it was safe to do so knowing they wouldn't get the seat and it would make a statement about gay marriage when they looked at the numbers, but I still want a Greenie. Ludlam loosing his seat now would send the left half of the nation into a fit of rage after the support he is pulling.

EDIT: Ok, something interesting is going on. Two news articles have been taken down from The Guardian and SBS
http://www.theguardian.com/info/2014/mar/22/1
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/03/21/deportation-notice-asylum-seeker-data-breach-case
I can't recall if I ever posted the story, but a while ago the personal details of thousands of asylum seekers was accidentally leaked to the public. Releasing information about people and their families trying to escape terrorist groups is a pretty serious problem, and that alone would make grounds for having their refugee status granted. Many of these asylum seekers took legal action against the department of immigration, and the cases are all still ongoing. Anyway turns out these articles were about a Chinese asylum seeker who had his details released publicly, and mid legal action received a deportation notice and a fine of $5,000 for his troubles. Now these stories have been taken down... Normally if a paper finds it has been reporting something false it issues a statement about it, but no such luck, this looks a lot more like a court suppression.

Oh hey, a cached version! Thank you google!
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AFq2eTOngcVgJ%3Awww.sbs.com.au%2Fnews%2Farticle%2F2014%2F03%2F21%2Fdeportation-notice-asylum-seeker-data-breach-case+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

EDIT: The ABC saga continues...
ABC interviews with turned back refugees, including allegations of abuse and drownings at sea.
Also a detainee tells the inquiry about having to eat bread infested with worms.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1364 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »

Wow, Mr. Abbott is on a rampage.

(Apparently he's pushjng for letting logging companies use national park forests?)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 163