Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215149 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1200 on: January 25, 2014, 07:49:23 pm »

If they tie her up and throw her in a pond where she subsequently drowns it'd be safe to assume that she isn't a bikie and can thus be exonerated.
Weighs the same as a duck...

Anyway, Fairfax media declares war on the Navy, by reporting a link between some members, and an anti-Islamic hate group. Look, they navy is a pretty big organisation, and by its very nature it is going to attract some really nice, well meaning people who want to work hard and make the world a better place, but also some real racist twits. Nobody should be surprised that there are some radical racists in the defense force, heck I'm sure many of them are even capable of preforming their job well regardless of their personal beliefs towards Muslims.
The thing I take as concerning is that allegedly some of these people are crew on the boats out picking up refugees, some of these refugees being Muslim. Considering there are still ongoing allegations of physical abuse at the hands of navy personal, I think it is a pretty unacceptable oversight.

In other news: This weeks funny section bought to you by Channel 10, where Abbott talks about mountains.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:09 am »

Welp, today the final approval for the worlds biggest coal export terminal, located in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef, was signed off. Construction starts 2015, but considering the holy wrath that has already been conjured by protesters, I doubt this can be stopped.

You know what, fuck it. Fuck this entire nation of racist, homophobic, nationalistic morons. Fuck them to the grave.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:25 am »

Don't you sometimes just feel sort of silly that we mock America for being backwards without looking at ourselves? Ugh.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:27 am »

I mock the USA to escape the reality that has become our politics... Like a guy in a wheel chair yelling at somebody for running slowly.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:37 pm »

Come with me to the Promised Land, Max.

To SCOTLAND! :D

The place to be for any Commonwealth citizen sick of their home country.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 31, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »

PTW, why not.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 08, 2014, 03:21:44 pm »

So the results of the Griffith by-election are in... Some people are staring at those figured with wide eyes in surprise wondering what they mean, but there are two things you need to remember:
1. There are a lot more minor players, with two new independents picking up some vote, the bullet train for Australia party getting a small share, and the pirate party hitting harder than I expected.
2. Palmer united isn't running a candidate.
3. There was a very low voter turnout.

So, how is that significant?
1. The positive swing in primaries for the liberals isn't because of an increase in popularity, it is because the Palmer United voters had nowhere else to go. That 3.4% of voters would normally prefer the libs anyway, yet the liberals hardly picked up a third of them, or picked up all of them but bled voters elsewhere, the truth is somewhere in between.
2. The negative swing towards labor isn't because there are less popular, but rather labor voters had other choices to go for. All those minor parties took their small cut of labors vote, and that resulted in a negative swing.

Still, the .3% swing in labors favor in the two party preferred is much smaller than they wanted, but it could be disproportionately small. People don't need to vote for the winning party, and with such a low turn out I would guess that labor lost more voters to apathy than the liberals.
This also explains why the greens actually picked up votes. While they should have been bleeding to the pirate party and loose at least 1% of the primary swing, instead they picked up. This is most likely because greens voters, as supporters of a minor party, feel the need to vote when ever possible, so while they lost voters to the pirate party, the ones they had left counted for a larger spice of the vote, resulting in the appearance of a positive swing. Indeed, while in this election they got 6.5 thousand voted, last one in 2013 they had almost 9 thousand...

The only things you can really take from this election are:
1. Griffith voters are getting unhappy about the current government.
2. They are even less happy about having to vote.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:39 am »

We know. Oh god, we know.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:06 pm »

Strap yourselves in, it looks like the Abbot government's going to have a crack at online piracy (apparently a sport in which Aussies punch above their weight) by requiring that an ISP send warnings to users accessing suspect sites. They are also considering other options like blocking access to a website entirely.

"The government will be considering possible mechanisms to provide a legal incentive for an internet service provider to cooperate with copyright owners in preventing infringement on their systems and networks," Mr Brandis said."This may include looking carefully at the merits of a scheme whereby ISPs are required to issue graduated warnings to consumers who are using websites to facilitate piracy. This is a complex reform proposal, and how it is paid for is one of the principal unresolved issues."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/george-brandis-signals-government-crackdown-on-online-piracy-20140214-32q62.html#ixzz2tGBseoxW

Emphasis is mine. I wonder what the other "principal unresolved issues" could be? ::)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:05 am »

Siiiggghhh. Time to get a VPN. :/
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:26 am »

As long as it's just a warning, it doesn't seem too bad to me. Of course, mission creep could easily settle in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 17, 2014, 01:28:28 am »

Oh Mr Abbott... One day you will die, and I will drink a toast to your corpse, but until then you continue to destroy the world I will inherit, you sick fuck.
Australias renewable energy target is under attack. Riots in the Manus Island camp after revelations there is literally no plan for what will happen to anybody there. Murdoch laughing all the way to the bank.

Fuck this planet, going to Saturn.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 17, 2014, 01:34:53 am »

Glad to know Newscorp is literally leeching off someone else, too..  :'(
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1213 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:24 am »

Wait, isn't the plan for what will happen to the refugees just to treat them like shit and make Australia a completely undesirable place so they leave and stop showing up?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:43 am »

And any that are found to be actual refugees are settled in PNG rather than Australia.

Oh Mr Abbott... One day you will die, and I will drink a toast to your corpse, but until then you continue to destroy the world I will inherit, you sick fuck.
Australias renewable energy target is under attack. Riots in the Manus Island camp after revelations there is literally no plan for what will happen to anybody there. Murdoch laughing all the way to the bank.

Fuck this planet, going to Saturn.

Careful, things that've upset you have (perversely?) seen Abbott's popularity in opinion polls rise. You'll get over the anger in a few years and find the comfort of apathy.

edit: Changed the J to G in PNG
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:45:42 am by DG »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 163