Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217825 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #930 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:54 am »

It has started.

The TonyxKevin slashfic, that is.

"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:50 am »

I really don't like how people use the term 'skeptic' when they mean denier

Its done to make people sound more "sciencey" and smart (along with the true, but irrelevant statements on science), but there is a fine line between skepticism and denial...

...Acutally there isn't. One is actually open to evidence that goes against what they believe, and the other puts their fingers in their ears and goes "LALALALALALALALALALALALA". I wish more people would understand that skepticism does not mean declaring everything to be false.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:45 am »

It has started.

The TonyxKevin slashfic, that is.

Hahaha!
Dear lord.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 12, 2013, 03:03:02 am »

Anyway, who did you roll with Jimmykins?
http://pirateparty.org.au/

Too bad there's not a Ninja Party too. Then we could hold an election and settle the age old debate once and for all.

Anyway, I like their 16 point manifesto:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Certainly not a party I'd want deciding the national budget, but there's plenty on that list I support.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:42 am »

There are ninja parties, but you don't know about them because shadow government.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 12, 2013, 03:58:31 am »

Ain't no party like a pirate party!
They do have pretty good policy, but I prefer the zombie party myself. Their stance on more education funding to produce juicer brains appeals to me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:36 am »

And then the Zombie Robot Ninja Pirate Party was created.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 12, 2013, 04:40:04 am »

Speaking of minor parties, who'd be interested in founding an Australian Jedi Council?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:15 am »

Probably not a good idea unless you want to be associated with the military Jedi Council sex ring.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:17 am »

Probably not a good idea unless you want to be associated with the military Jedi Council sex ring.
dammit military, ruining my political aspirations :/

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:26 am »

Speaking of science...

A man-made climate change sceptic has put his hand up for Science Minister because PM Abbott's first choice looks like she's going to lose her seat to an independent.

"In the climate area there is appeal to authority and appeal to consensus, neither of which is scientific at all," Dr Jensen told Fairfax Media on Thursday. "Scientific reality doesn't give a damn who said it and it doesn't give a damn how many say it."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/climate-sceptic-mp-dennis-jensen-wants-to-be-science-minister-20130912-2tltt.html#ixzz2eeVsfhjY

I used to live in his electorate. Yes, the man is a complete and utter berk. Furthermore, he's a fucking materials scientist. I'm a materials scientist too, and I can tell you that our work does not give us any particular insights into climate change... certainly not enough to overthrow experts in the field.

From a purely disciplinary thing, I might assume that because of his background in Mat. Sci. which, particularly when he would have been doing it, relies heavily on actual, active experiments, where you are determing all variables etc. (something that can't really be done in climate science; passive experiments, certainly, but you won't ever be able to drop a hurricane in the Mediterranean just to see what it does) he has some distrust over the results. Fine. However, if you're gonna put your hand up for a senior science position, at least educate yourself on the bloody science before you open your fat mouth.

How can he not be aware of the sheer depth of highly sophisticated modelling, which has provided extremely accurate predictions, in the field? Hell, the basic accounting that even with conservative estimates show that humanity has significantly changed the planet's atmosphere? Not to mention as a scientist, he has to know that while people might fudge a graph slightly or publish only their prettiest pics, you're not going to be able to publish something that is outright wrong in a popular field? The number of people that will jump down your throat at anything they can is ridiculous.

No, I honestly doubt he would express the same opinion if he didn't have a political stake in it.

Also, fuck anyone that lends Monckton more credence than that of a babbling lunatic, let alone experts in their field. The man is a stain on humanity's underpants.

/rant.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:10 am »

Oh it gets better. So much better. Better than you would ever imagine.
So Abbott has public named his ministry... And there is no science minister. We just aren't going to have one. Nobody to fight for research grant money, nobody to object when Abbott wants to sell CSIRO. Nobody to understand how those silly gasses work. Nope, nothing.

I'm totally not even enraged at the moment. Not even a little.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2013, 01:44:43 am »

So Abbott has public named his ministry... And there is no science minister. We just aren't going to have one.

Pfft, science. Whats it been good for? It just gets in the way of Abbott's brilliant policies (Confirmed to be brilliant by scientists Abbott).

Ah crap.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 16, 2013, 01:51:56 am »

PDF copy of the list of ministers.
Notably absent also include Youth Ministry (Because young people can't vote) and Workplace Relations Ministry (Take THAT unions!)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2013, 01:57:15 am »

Notably absent also include Youth Ministry (Because young people dont vote Liberal)

FTFY.

Also there is no Workplace Relations Ministry because workplace relations will now probably consist mostly of "Work harder, damnit!".

You eat your own head
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163