Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217767 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #810 on: August 11, 2013, 07:12:03 am »

Out of compassion for the families already being put through intense emotional stress, the Australian government has allowed these children to remain with their families instead of being sent into foster care or state institutions, which would ordinarily be the case when their parents are detained after breaking the law. If you believe it would be better to separate them in order to preserve the rights of the children as outlined in the human rights charter, feel free to say so.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2013, 07:17:18 am »

Anecdote time?

Spoiler: Here's mine (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2013, 07:18:33 am »

They rioted to force the government to do something with them. Making trouble is only their only hope of anything, otherwise politicians are more than happy to have them stuck out of sight forever.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:17 am »

Anecdote time?

Spoiler: Here's mine (click to show/hide)

I could take Osmo's anecdote and replace Poland with Holland, and it's the same for my family.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:56 am »

1: Once they settle there, and of course by the regular definition of normal australian, you assume they will have no problems that will unsettle them when they move here. Nothing worth getting excited about. They'll just be incredibly content, and they'll never have to speak up at all ever again. Nope nope nope.
2: Explain to me how I was wrong in how faulty the logic was. Rioting advances no causes of theirs and only caused trouble for the whole system.
3: See above. We've gone over how 2nd generation immigrants is where shit really hits the fan In previous threads.
4: Because they are willing to go through legal channels?

Also, state a better solution than camps with very good living conditions in comparison to their old lives. Please, I'd love to hear it.

1. I assumed no such thing. Where did I assume this?
2. Your strawmen are strawmen because you made up their logic on the spot, without a shread of evidence to support your immigrants model of logic. You have also dumped your logic on all immigrants indiscriminately. Their cause is generally to be noticed, as they feel they have been ignored (their cause is not to "cause the government millions in damage", for example. That silly). With that in mind, it actually has advanced their cause.
3. Whats this about 2nd generation immigrants? Were we not talking about allowing potential 1st generation immigrants? i.e. the ones in the detention centers. Ontop of that, you missed my point: not all Muslims want Shairah law (thats why "will" is in bold).
4. Because boats in particular have been heavily politicised. Illegal immigrants come by planes too...
5. So would I. You werent suggesting a strawmen where I was implying that all the camps should just be torn down and absolutely anyone can come in without any restriction or control, were you?

My orginal argument was to give better legal access to Australia, followed by my attempts to demonstrate immigrants are not an amorphous blob of "Them" which just wont "shut up" and would cause random riots, along with demonstrating the abhorrence of statements like "Biting the hand that feeds you".
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 22, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

I'm so sick of this "debate". It doesn't matter what you think of asylum seekers, the fact of the matter is that asylum seekers make up such a tiny portion of 'illegal immigration" that it's completely irrelevant to discuss. Add to this that the only way you could ever "stop the boats" is to stabilise the whole region and therefore stop the major factors pushing peoples to migrate.
All these half-measures and propaganda is nothing more than pissing away money to play partisan politics and pandering to the rising sentiment of xenophobia in the Australian population. Putting ads on Australian television isn't going to magically stop people smugglers especially when they're considered a symbol of hope and even roguish heroes in some foreign culture circles.

Obviously you still need to have some form of monitoring and some detention to stop both rare dangerous criminals and diseases from entering the populace. This however can easily be done either onshore or offshore in Australian territory rather than bullying less developed nations into holding our burden by threatening to decrease aid and support.
There is no evidence that asylum seekers find it harder to assimilate than any other immigrant. Cultural and linguistical aid has come a long way since the Cabramatta ghetto dibarcal.

This is nothing more than scapegoating a population to mask both government's ineptitude. Australia has had a proud tradition of accepting asylum seekers that was only truly poisoned in the Howard years. Making steps back towards the White Australia Policy is not going to help us perform in the international spotlight and I'm sure the UN is going to love us going back on our agreed refugee obligations.
Australia should grow the fuck up and act like the beacon of democracy it claims to be. 

On a side note I really recommend people to check out the minor parties in the coming election. Australia could do with a political shake-up after decades of stagnation and populism. I'm personally advocating the Pirate Party because copyright reform and evidence based policies gets my dick hard, they're also competent and aren't ruled by a Cult of Personality like our dear ol' Wikileaks party.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:04 am »

On a side note I really recommend people to check out the minor parties in the coming election. Australia could do with a political shake-up after decades of stagnation and populism. I'm personally advocating the Pirate Party because copyright reform and evidence based policies gets my dick hard, they're also competent and aren't ruled by a Cult of Personality like our dear ol' Wikileaks party.

More on all of that. Incidentally, why the "Pirate Party" if you wish to be taken seriously before the unimpressed are all dead, and even then?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 22, 2013, 12:29:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure he didn't name it. But it's mostly because Pirate Bay was the one to start that political ball rolling, and there are many places where they certainly ARE taken seriously nowadays - it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:40 pm »

The reason for the name is on the FAQ. It neglects to say that the Pirate movement is an international one with it's name route from a Swedish think tank called Piratbyran which was created to combat the Swedish Anti-Piracy Bureau.
Like Piratbyran the movement is independent of the Pirate Bay but since it supports non-commercial file sharing they find each other close allies.

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)

I don't usually talk about politics and in particular political allegiances so I'm not really sure what I meant to say.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:38:34 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »

I don't usually talk about politics and in particular political allegiances so I'm not really sure what I meant to say.

You were born to it :P. It sounds like they have a lot of good things going for them, but the issue which the name is based on seems trivial, if not terrible, to focus on, not least because of the ease of circumvention though I'm well aware of the state of copyright and am advocating in your favor blah. It does seem to be a better tact for naming a party though. You've avoided choosing an amorphous easily abused name, you don't seem overly glorious nor optimistic, and you're not named seriously either for what that's worth.
I'd like to hear more about their policies, why they haven't or wont be bought off, their likelihood of doing well out of the election, how they stack up to their competitors, and why you support them.

I'd also like to hear more about the wikileaks party.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 22, 2013, 03:21:00 pm »

Don't know how the Pirates are doing in Australia, but they have been somewhat successful in Europe. They're in the Swedish parliament and in the EU parliament for example.
They did well in some state elections in Germany and got into several state parliaments. However in the last year or so they have been mostly occupied with infighting, so it's save to say that they're not going to make it into federal parliament in September.
They're mostly running on freedom of information and anti-surveillance issues, though the local ones I know are mostly animal rights activists.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 22, 2013, 03:30:45 pm »

Animal right activists? Well there goes my vote.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 02, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »

So, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdU3ooAZSH8

Makes me happy.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:56 pm »

Animal right activists? Well there goes my vote.

Whats inherently wrong with animal rights activists?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:31 am »

So, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdU3ooAZSH8

Makes me happy.
Okay, my respect for Mr Rudd has increased dramatically.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 163