Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217742 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #765 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:03 am »

This is a blank sig.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 10, 2013, 07:44:02 am »

Bannister was our Palin.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 10, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »

I think she managed to out-Palin Palin. At least Palin knows Jews don't believe in baby Jesus.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:04:12 pm by Owlbread »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »

There is nothing sad about it; it is indicative of the stupidity one must possess to sink to such racist and bigoted levels. I personally find it hilarious.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »

My god, the greens marches in my city are insane. Absolutely Grade-A insane. They were comparing the facilities for asylum seekers to Nazi concentration camps. It's hilariously disheartening.

Don't think of it as insanity - think of it as intentional hyperbole in an attempt to shift the overton window. It's not stupid, it's just politicking. Not really worth getting disheartened over an inaccurate analogy.

They need to update their references though, everybody knows Gitmo is the "go to" for miserable conditions noawadays, Nazis are so last century.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 10, 2013, 10:56:23 pm »

Gitmo is kind of weak these days. Too few people left in it to make an effective statement.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:36 am »

My god, the greens marches in my city are insane. Absolutely Grade-A insane. They were comparing the facilities for asylum seekers to Nazi concentration camps. It's hilariously disheartening.
When people are being herded into small camps and eventually riot due to shitty living conditions, two types of crazies show up. Those that say this is unfair and compare the conditions to concentration camps, and those that try and justify their racist bigotry saying they deserve to be in there.

And you think the hyperbole is the Grade A material?

Also, very old news, but why did I never hear about this? This is fucking hilarious!

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 11, 2013, 12:41:24 am »

When people are being herded into small camps and eventually riot due to shitty living conditions, two types of crazies show up. Those that say this is unfair and compare the conditions to concentration camps, and those that try and justify their racist bigotry saying they deserve to be in there.

And you think the hyperbole is the Grade A material?

Also, very old news, but why did I never hear about this? This is fucking hilarious!
So, here's the logic:
Come to Australia seeking better life/one without war.
Probably lives in a shitty mud shack/nothing.
Now has warm food, warm clothes, security and safety.
Riots.
Labeled as brave.

I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 11, 2013, 12:55:42 am »

You are aware that holding people and giving them nothing to do, no way to feel productive, over a long period of time is a form of psychological torture, right? I'm pretty sure our treatment of boat people is breaking some of our conventions. Or at least PNG is breaking conventions and we are facilitating.

I would say these people have every right to protest their treatment. This 'You will take what you are given and be happy about it!' mentality is somewhat akin to fascism.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 11, 2013, 01:08:40 am »

Probably lives in a shitty mud shack/nothing.
This... is frankly more than a little bit bigoted.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:03 am »

Well yea, but it isn't the issue of debate. Even if the people coming here were from the worst villages imaginable, it doesn't change what rights they have.

From what I hear the majority of them are lower to middle class, educated to minimum school cert level and have experience in a trade. They are the kind of people who are able to easily contribute and not make themselves a tax burden, but that is irrelevant. A dirt poor blind person who can't count has the exact same human rights as a billionaire genius.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 11, 2013, 01:18:56 am »

Well yeah, fact is you actually need money to immigrate, even illegally. They had to pay their way to Australia somehow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:29 am »

Also, those camps are quite literally concentration camps. As in, place where you concentrate people you don't want outside. Sure, the situation there is better than in Nazi camps, but the analogy is valid. It's not like they compared it to extermination camps, which are another business.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:55 am »

Nah, I think people can see this for what it is - a stupid/naive individual making a total tit of themsevles.
You mean like every Politician ever???

Well yeah, fact is you actually need money to immigrate, even illegally. They had to pay their way to Australia somehow.
The way they pay for it is that what they are carrying on their backs and in their hands is all that they have left to their name, they sold almost everything they had to get onto those leaky boats. As much as I am getting tired of hearing about "Another Boat arrives" on the news here in Australia, I just wish that someone would just try and shut down the actual source of these problems where they start. The actual Traffickers themselves. But that's a pipedream there. At least let the people know they have only a 15% chance of actually getting into Australia. 45% alive on a boat that didn't sink...

Also, those camps are quite literally concentration camps. As in, place where you concentrate people you don't want outside. Sure, the situation there is better than in Nazi camps, but the analogy is valid. It's not like they compared it to extermination camps, which are another business.
As much as I hate what concentration camps are and how we are handling them, sadly there is little choice. Too many are coming over in such numbers that it takes a long time to successfully process them for all possible problems. Infections, Monetary *usually nothing* and other things of the like...
Someone who is sick has a really low chance of surviving if left to their own devices, if they entered illegally, they can't just pop down to the doctors for some medicine, so they get worse and worse before dying or such. Those with no money actually have little chance of actually getting any foothold even if they do make it onto Australian Soil, they would end up as Homeless people, begging on the street. Australia just like many other countries, can't even keep up with our OWN homeless citizens, throwing in illegal folk into the mix makes it even harder to keep a hold on what we are trying to do to fix it to begin with...

Its the hardest thing to work with these Boats and Illegal Immigration making it a nightmare for our Politicians and Parties to bring in methods that can help either Aid or Hinder these people from getting in. Camps are sadly the only option atm cause, where do you put the people who you can't help yet???

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2013, 03:17:06 am »

Allowing a reasonable legal alternative to get in would probably help greatly. A safer and cheaper alternative to people smuggling would probably put them out of business (think alcohol prohibition in the US).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 163