Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217453 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #750 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:16 am »

Population percentage voting is much nicer, even though it sometimes results in rather weird situations. Especially in Belgium, where each party has a French duplicate.

You mean each party got a Flemish duplicate.

More seriously, it does mean a ridiculous number of parties get into Parliament.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 06, 2013, 02:02:18 pm »

We've got a system that could just as easily and effectively support a hundred different parties with no problems.
Not really. The system inherently ensures that a 2 party system is the only, stable situation. Whenever you get more, you're actually benefitting the most different of the parties. (the others battle over the same votes, and hence loose). This is further ensured by the fact that parties need a certain amount of votes before they get funding. The US system is practically build to ensure the status quo, and make sure everything stays as it was.

Edit: Besides, the amount of parties in the Belgian parliament is limited. You need a certain percentage of votes before you get a seat.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:04:23 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 06, 2013, 02:44:17 pm »

I'm talking about the institutional infrastructure, not the electoral system. I thought I made that clear. The problems with the US electoral systems are many, but irrelevant to the issue of how well the legislative infrastructure can handle multiple parties.

The US government infrastructure handles it well - our electoral system renders that meaningless. Meanwhile, many parliamentary systems have electoral rules that make multiple parties possible, but institutional structures that render them mostly irrelevant.

It's why independents in the US Congress are incredibly rare, but when they occur they tend to do quite well for themselves.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:47:12 pm by GlyphGryph »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »

So we dont purely get bogged down by that particular derail, I'd appreciate it if at least part of your answer addresses why exactly Australia remains in a "shit or a turd" election cycle.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 06, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »

So we dont purely get bogged down by that particular derail, I'd appreciate it if at least part of your answer addresses why exactly Australia remains in a "shit or a turd" election cycle.
Most of the world is like this, isn't it?

Yes, but it does sound like you have more nominal options then usual. I'm wondering why they don't work, outside of representative parties being undermined in the usual ways. I suppose I'm also curious as to what kind of debacle we'd end up with in Britain if we enrolled a similar electoral system.
Reading a thinner book

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 06, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »

Preferential voting gives you more parties, but it doesn't make voters any more intelligent. The informed will have the option to cast their votes strategically knowing that the major parties look at the first round results very carefully to figure out what issues are important to people. The less than informed masses, however, will still just vote for who ever promises lower taxes and more benefits. As such, while we have a lot of parties out there, some of them pretty good (Looking at you Sex Party! *Wink*) you can still expect who ever panders to the lowest common denominator to get larger. Even the Greens have their shitty policy that exists only for uninformed hippies who would ban oxygen dihydrate.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:10 am »

Besides, all you eastern staters should be voting Katter's Comedy Relief Party.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 07, 2013, 09:26:17 am »

Just enrolled as a postal voter today... no way am I potentially helping Abbot get into government just because I'm overseas.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:39 am »

Preferential voting gives you more parties, but it doesn't make voters any more intelligent. The informed will have the option to cast their votes strategically knowing that the major parties look at the first round results very carefully to figure out what issues are important to people. The less than informed masses, however, will still just vote for who ever promises lower taxes and more benefits. As such, while we have a lot of parties out there, some of them pretty good (Looking at you Sex Party! *Wink*) you can still expect who ever panders to the lowest common denominator to get larger. Even the Greens have their shitty policy that exists only for uninformed hippies who would ban oxygen dihydrate.

Voter stupidity might be a component, but i doubt it's the driving force. You'll need to give me more then that.
Reading a thinner book

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:06 pm »

ptw

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:00 am »

Voter stupidity might be a component, but i doubt it's the driving force. You'll need to give me more then that.
Either you have a lot of unfounded faith in the human race, or we are both in the dark as to why things turned out this way.

Anyway, campaign warfare on the streets, with pamphlets and balloons the primary weapons. At this rate it is only a matter of time before the entire town is so sick of this shit that we all refuse to vote. Wheres your swing now?!?!?!?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:53 am »

My god, the greens marches in my city are insane. Absolutely Grade-A insane. They were comparing the facilities for asylum seekers to Nazi concentration camps. It's hilariously disheartening.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 10, 2013, 05:20:31 am »

My god, the greens marches in my city are insane. Absolutely Grade-A insane. They were comparing the facilities for asylum seekers to Nazi concentration camps. It's hilariously disheartening.

Yeah. I'll say this, while I'm a fairly left wing person, the Greens are pretty crazy at times.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 163