Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217428 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #705 on: June 27, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »

The government is doing something, right now in fact. Australia is currently prosecuting Japan in the International Court of Justice about their whaling program.

'Science' of Japanese whaling attacked in court case

While it's doubtful anything will come of it, we have upheld our promise made in 2007 to address this issue at the highest level possible.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 27, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »

Allegations from Peter Slipper have arisen:

That Joe Hockey and Mal Brough asked Clive Palmer (a billionaire) to fund James Ashby's legal fees - Ashby had accused Slipper of sexual harassment and it was a big huge case.

Hockey and Brough flat out deny such a thing happened, but not Clive Palmer. He confirmed that that's exactly what's happened.

http://m.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/slipper-allegations-link-hockey-to-ashby-20130627-2ozof.html

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:49 am »

So apparently with the change from Julia to Rudd Labor and Coalition are now polling at 50% each. Looks like the election isn't in the bag yet for Abbott.

Newspoll shows Labor and Coalition neck and neck after PM Kevin Rudd flags leadership vote reform

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 09, 2013, 04:51:16 am »

So Yeah I guess?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:59 am »

I find it increasingly hard to care about labour.
At least the coalitions reaction is amusing.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 11, 2013, 08:22:47 am »

So what are people's thoughts on Rudd's overhaul of the Labor caucus system?

In my opinion, it's a pretty cheeky move, but I really do have to admire the sheer brilliance of it; his biggest threat is getting dumped the second the election is over, and this would make that nigh impossible, particularly as it removes the vast majority of the various unions' influence.

However, no one can really say no, because if they tell him to fuck off, the party loses face, and Rudd can always straight up threaten to walk. On top of that, it makes a clean break from all the powerbroking that dragged Labor down in the first place, and seems to be polling well besides.

Just... damn.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:05 am »

Well it does help bring Labor towards a fairer, more constructive, less corruptible, system. Is Rudd doing it for his own means? Yea, he most likely is. I mean seriously, few things have ever been so finly vailed. Yet I have no way of objectively proving his intentions, I can only assess the merits of his proposals, and ultimately they look positive. I'm not going to reject positive change just because the person suggesting it stands to benefit from it the most.

I will say I'm not a fan of limiting when a challenge can be held though. That I think is a step backwards.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:13 am »

Sorry, look, I have to. I just can't not, ok?
Quote from: Tony Abbott
Are clouds... A gas?.. They're water vapor... I guess.
YES TONY. THEY ARE COMPOSED OF WATER VAPOR. A GAS. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE NO VALID OPINION ON CLIMATE CHANGE.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 15, 2013, 02:50:38 am »

You know, I live in a place where there is ridiculous excesses of water and arable land, and even some regions that are considered to be stable enough that even significant climate change might not compromise their ability to support human life.

But man, Australia? You guys are capital-f Fucked if the climate goes south.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 15, 2013, 03:09:17 am »

Yes but the threat is that we also have a lot to loose from doing something about it. We sell raw commodities such as coal and minerals. Mining is the biggest industry. As such it is very easy for people to use argumentum ad consequentiam to 'discredit' climate change. Right now there is a news story on tv talking about how Mr Abbott (A candidate for Prime Minister come next election) claimed a proposed carbon credits trading scheme is "a so-called market in the non-delivery of an invisible substance to no one."

Thats right! Our attempts to cut carbon emissions isn't about avoiding environmental damage, it is about not delivering something to nobody! And because the 'product' doesn't emit radiation is the viable light spectrum, it doesn't even count! I can only imagine what he thinks of something that is legitimately intangible, such as education.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 15, 2013, 05:19:25 am »

You know, I live in a place where there is ridiculous excesses of water and arable land, and even some regions that are considered to be stable enough that even significant climate change might not compromise their ability to support human life.

But man, Australia? You guys are capital-f Fucked if the climate goes south.

Well, what's projected for us: more extreme weather, both rain and shine, if global warming were to happen. The southern state where I live would become significantly drier, and Queensland and northern NSW will become roughly comparable to India in terms of monsoonal rain. [citation needed]

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 15, 2013, 08:25:41 am »

Mmmm I think I read once that if the poles completely melted, the NW quarter of Australia would eventually end up quite nice. In a few hundred years, once everything settles down. We'd be utterly screwed in the interim, of course.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 16, 2013, 06:08:02 am »

New video ad campaign by the liberals.

So this is actually a huge improvement over the 'headless chooks' one they had going before. While it is still focused completely on misrepresenting another party, I at least feel like I am being treated like the average, less than fully informed voter, rather than a child who is easily swayed by a puppet show. I mean when they bother to show the Labor banner and not the Liberals, it is pretty clear who they want the spotlight on. Why a political party would be scared of flashing their brand? I wonder... Perhaps they are trying to be the lesser evil, rather than the bigger man.

Still, I believe in being honest about these things, and giving credit where credit is due. The liberals have yet to disable their comments section, and I think that really is admirable. Not enough to alone win a vote from me, but certainly worth a mention. Good work there libs, the greens, who have disabled all comments, could take a leaf from your book.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

The ad is so much more interesting when you imagine it's being read by this guy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Makes the close zoom head shots of Kevin much more appropriate too.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 163