Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217391 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #690 on: June 26, 2013, 04:53:59 am »

....and it's official. Rudd wins by 57:45

Kevin is back in da house. Now, the question is, will it lead to the GG dissolving the government with a vote of no confidence?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:03 am »

ROOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDDD!!!! WOO!
To be honest I didn't mind Gillard. She never really did anything wrong, with the exception of not supporting gay marriage.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:54 am »

ROOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDDD!!!! WOO!
To be honest I didn't mind Gillard. She never really did anything wrong, with the exception of not supporting gay marriage.
Really? I thought she was a giant cunthammer... Must have been someone else she reminded me of or something.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:04:08 am by Dutchling »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2013, 05:04:07 am »

Eh, she did the carbon and mining taxes. The 1% fucking despised her. Gina Rinehart may very well have a stroke from laughing so hard right now, and I hope she does.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 26, 2013, 05:12:29 am »

Eh, she did the carbon and mining taxes. The 1% fucking despised her. Gina Rinehart may very well have a stroke from laughing so hard right now, and I hope she does.

Carbon tax was good, and better than the Emissions Trading Scheme Rudd backed, IMO, but the mining tax was a farce, she should have gotten far more. I'm leery of Rudd's support of gay marriage though; yes, it's a good thing he's said he supports it, but this is a recent change, and seems to be purely politically motivated. Still... better than Abbott's opinion on the matter.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:25 am »

Honestly, I don't give even a single care if he backs something because of personal belief or political advantage. Either way the policy gets passed.
I would prefer if politicians, even those who don't like gay marriage personally, would do their best to disregard their own ideals in favor of trying to act in a way that promotes Australian ideals, and that includes secularism, rather that going with biblical definitions of things.

EDIT: NOOOOO!!!!!! NOT SWANNY!
Dammit! I liked him! We have a fucking AAA Credit rating under him! He pretty much took the wheel and kept us from technical recession! Dammit Swan!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 26, 2013, 05:27:32 am »

Oh also;

Wong now senate leader.
Swan and Conroy are resigning.
General consensus seems to be that GG Bryce won't install Abbott if there is a vote of no confidence, but most likely just bring forward the election.

Max, yeah, I'm with you on the pragmatic aspect, I'm just worried he might change his tune again if it becomes politically expedient. Shame we couldn't have Wong...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2013, 05:31:08 am »

Not Wong! She is actually good at her job! Now she will be busy battling political controversy to do anything useful.
I guarantee you the word 'dyke' will be used to describe her in the next year. My money is on Katter.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34:32 am »

Oh also;

Wong now senate leader.
General consensus seems to be that GG Bryce won't install Abbott if there is a vote of no confidence, but most likely just bring forward the election.

Max, yeah, I'm with you on the pragmatic aspect, I'm just worried he might change his tune again if it becomes politically expedient. Shame we couldn't have Wong...

Wong now senate leader. First female senate leader.

First malaysian senate leader.
First lesbian senate leader.
First female lesbian malaysian senate leader.

(Bad. Swan is a good economist. Shorten likely to take over?)
(Good. Conroy came up with the Great Firewall of Australia, but bad, also the NBN.)

Anthony Albanese is likely to become Deputy PM. Inb4 Albanese stabs Rudd.

And Max, Katter's supporting Rudd, so it's unlikely that he'd risk Rudd's wrath by insulting Wong. Then again, he's Katter.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 26, 2013, 05:48:22 am »

First female lesbian malaysian senate leader.

As opposed to a male lesbian? :P (j/k)

I guarantee you the word 'dyke' will be used to describe her in the next year. My money is on Katter.

Oh god, he would, wouldn't he?

And Max, Katter's supporting Rudd, so it's unlikely that he'd risk Rudd's wrath by insulting Wong. Then again, he's Katter.

The man has more hat, by mass, than functioning brain cells... anything is possible.

Annnyway, does anyone know when the Upper House election is? I've heard rumours it's coming up soonish.

Aodhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 26, 2013, 07:18:58 am »

Annnyway, does anyone know when the Upper House election is? I've heard rumours it's coming up soonish.

As I understand it, the Senate  half-election will be held concurrently with any Lower House election held on or after August 3.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2013, 12:15:33 am »

Mr. Smith, Grand Overseer of Defense, has 'retired'. That is to say he won't contest in the next election, so he will have just enough time to pack his desk. The purge of Gillard and all her kin continues!

EDIT: Garret is giving his goodbyes. I love that little shot about the Sea Shepherd he made, about he if you talk to any real politician you will understand why it is a bad idea. I guess Bob Brown doesn't count then?  :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2013, 04:22:51 am »

It's about time Labor sorted out its shit and got back to work. Sadly, I think this will be a case of too little, too late. Even with Rudd back I doubt they can turn the overwhelming loss of confidence in the party into a win. Also the fact this shakeup has gutted the party won't come over well with voters.

Topic title has never been more appropriate. Hilarious indeed.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2013, 05:04:04 am »

EDIT: Garret is giving his goodbyes. I love that little shot about the Sea Shepherd he made, about he if you talk to any real politician you will understand why it is a bad idea. I guess Bob Brown doesn't count then?  :P

To be fair, Sea Shepard is a horrible idea, completely aside of the potential damage they may do to the Antarctic ecosystem with their hare-brained actions. Pissing off the people you're trying to persuade is basically the worst possible way to go about things. 

The Greens, as much as I respect a lot of what they campaign for, are not a major party; their role is purely to influence to the discusion and actions of the big two, something they have been very successful at. Bob Brown never had to worry about alienating trading partners and strategic alliances because he is the head of a party that will never form a government; further, his voter base is the exact sort that don't care about the nuances of geopolitics (not a dig at Greens supporters; everyone has their areas of passion, and Greens tend toward the environment and social equality, not defense and trade).

So, for him, backing SS gains political points with no downside beyond perhaps exasperating the Labor leadership; it's stupid of him not to. For a high level minister in a sitting government however, it is the height of idiocy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:32 am »

Well I agree that the SS shouldn't be out there. It is dangerous for all involved and is a costing a lot of money that could go towards other projects.
So as soon as the government actually does something about the illegal whaling I'll join the call to bring them into port. Until that time, go Sea Shepherd!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 163