Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217321 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:06 am »

Hah! No. Many responsible shooters ( I.e SSAA, H&F party) are heavily against gun control. And hey, the Liberals will probably be doing a few good things. That national curriculum is a great thing to be rid of.
I said responsible shooters.
Anyway, if the liberals wanted to do good things, they could have. Labor doesn't have a complete majority, the Liberals are free to introduce any policy they wanted.
For example, recently the Libs have stated that if they win come September they want to put a ban on advertising sporting ods on tv to lower problem gambling. The greens have put full support behind this. If the Liberals actually cared, they would easily have this passed right now, but they don't give a fuck. They just want to make false promises.

If you think the Liberals will do good things, you need to ask why aren't they doing it now? Opposition isn't just about sitting around throwing mud you know.
Oh really? So the SSAA and H&F aren't responsible. Hmm, knowing many members of both organisations I can tell you that they are rather responsible. Safely store, carry, shoot, pack up, take brass. What's the problem? And the thing is the Liberals want to keep the floodgates closed for the elections, because that is pretty minor against the big issues of the country and would get forgotten. I mean, as sad as it is political parties need to glance public support and staying in power as well as actually doing shit.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:53 am »

Or they don't do it because the government could claim credit for it. In many people's mind, whatever happen is done by the government.

As for illegal immigrant, I have my own solution. Let them in. Like Dubai does:  as long as someone in Australia is willing to employ you, you can can come in, depositing enough cash to pay for your plane ticket home and health insurance. Loose your job? You're out, unless you've used your time to fill all the paperworks and conditions to get permanent residency (Married an Australian say).

Still has the problem that it doesn't let foreign entrepreneur do their job-magic very easily, but a great advancement nonetheless, that doesn't require the rest of the world to suddenly care about refugees.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2013, 08:10:17 am »

Or they don't do it because the government could claim credit for it. In many people's mind, whatever happen is done by the government.

As for illegal immigrant, I have my own solution. Let them in. Like Dubai does:  as long as someone in Australia is willing to employ you, you can can come in, depositing enough cash to pay for your plane ticket home and health insurance. Loose your job? You're out, unless you've used your time to fill all the paperworks and conditions to get permanent residency (Married an Australian say).

Still has the problem that it doesn't let foreign entrepreneur do their job-magic very easily, but a great advancement nonetheless, that doesn't require the rest of the world to suddenly care about refugees.
Then they stop being illegal, and boats are turned away! Great idea.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2013, 08:11:00 am »

So they have just been 'holding back the floodgates' since 2007?

I remember the filth that was pouring out of that particular dam before then, and I would prefer not to let that though again.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2013, 08:15:53 am »

So they have just been 'holding back the floodgates' since 2007?

I remember the filth that was pouring out of that particular damn before then, and I would prefer not to let that though again.
Really? It's been that long? Wow.
But still, as I Mentioned before it would merely be forgotten by voters.

Actually, recently I've been thinking about WA succeeding from the rest of Australia. We kinda get fucked over by the Eastern States on a regular basis, always last in line for shit. It would be pretty neato, what with all the mineral resources. It actually gained traction once,  but never really got good enough. Hmm. Maybe it's time for a revival.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:55 am »

I remember reading a piece about... I think it was Queensland? Fuck it, my knowledge of Australian geography is that there is sand in the midlle and surfers around.

Anyway, apparently it was one of the state with few or no mineral resources, and that really hurt THEM, as the high Australian $ made their products hard to export and they couldn't export commodities.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:23 am »

I remember reading a piece about... I think it was Queensland? Fuck it, my knowledge of Australian geography is that there is sand in the midlle and surfers around.

Anyway, apparently it was one of the state with few or no mineral resources, and that really hurt THEM, as the high Australian $ made their products hard to export and they couldn't export commodities.
Basically all the eastern states would have left is Agriculture, Services, and small manufacturing and raw materials production. It would damage them immensely.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 07, 2013, 08:24:43 am »

On the upside, we'd be free of them durn Western Australians :P
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2013, 08:25:14 am »

Actually, recently I've been thinking about WA succeeding from the rest of Australia. We kinda get fucked over by the Eastern States on a regular basis, always last in line for shit. It would be pretty neato, what with all the mineral resources. It actually gained traction once,  but never really got good enough. Hmm. Maybe it's time for a revival.
I hate to go all ethos on you here, really I do, but it sounds just a little like you are from some small town in the middle of nowhere and your daddy taught you good and proper to be a Liberal supporter. Not saying that is true, just that it sounds like that. It is kind of amusing.

WA isn't splintering off in the predictable future.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:06 am »

I hate to go all ethos on you here, really I do, but it sounds just a little like you are from some small town in the middle of nowhere and your daddy taught you good and proper to be a Liberal supporter. Not saying that is true, just that it sounds like that. It is kind of amusing.

WA isn't splintering off in the predictable future.
And you sound all like you are rebelling against your parents/live in a big city with few small town problems. Just saying.
And besides, from an early age I was your typical... Well let's say Greenie. Save the environment, guns are bad, all boat people are good, things along those lines. I was taught basically the Labour/Greens party ethics and beliefs. I grew up in Perth for an early part of my life, then Tom Price, tiny 1000 people mining town up north, then Geraldton, ( Where that boat sailed in) now back in Perth. I guess I just sat down and thought. Thought about the facts. Going from Left to Right in about a years time. My dad always told me to keep an open mind, so I did. Guess it was just a combination really of looking more closely at my education, my mum telling me all about her job in the police force, and here to now with my Internet days. Not just my dad really. But hey, I'm not hard right. There are a few things that I support Labour with. Gay Marriage mostly. So there, just a little explanation.

Well, you never know. Hell, I could be the one to do it one day. One never knows.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:36 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 09, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »

It's absolutely astonishing that 1000/400 Mbps is even possible on a large scale.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 09, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »

Not really. This kind of thing has been a long time in coming. Copper is both obsolete and getting scarce, so this is a much-needed upgrade worldwide.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 09, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »

Not really. This kind of thing has been a long time in coming. Copper is both obsolete and getting scarce, so this is a much-needed upgrade worldwide.

Where I live it's common for gamekeepers to practise their shooting and accidentally shoot the telephone lines, leaving me without internet for about three days or so, miles away from civilisation. I suspect there will be similar situations in Australia and I hope that any initiative taken there may influence events over here. I mean, if they can get even 50 mbps to someone living in the back of beyond in the Northern Territory then surely we can get better than what we have now.

The sheer cost of optical fibre cables in a rural area would outweigh the profit that could be gained by getting rid of the copper though, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:37:46 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 09, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

The sheer cost of optical fibre cables in a rural area would outweigh the profit that could be gained by getting rid of the copper though, wouldn't it?
Fiber optics don't cost all that much compared to copper anymore, the expense is mostly a reputation of days gone by. Copper is becoming ever more expensive while fiber optics become ever less expensive. I don't know if it would be cost effective now, but it will be cost effective everywhere eventually.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163