Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216600 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #360 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:38 am »

Not really. It's not impossible for him to live at home by his own definition. Your mum won't let you starve; she might even drive you to the bus stop or train station to get to Uni. If he couldn't live at home, he'd qualify for Newstart, which is about 8K a year, or $22 a day. That's a little less than a week's groceries on a single person shoestring budget. The rest goes on rent and public transport.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:19 am »

What sort of low rent have you been paying?
Smallest, single room, shared living spaces you can find will eat through that before you have enough left for transport.

As for depending on mommy, what if that isn't possible? What if she has her own job to attend to? What if they don't have a car? These are problems faced by a large amount of young people.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:01 am »

The kind of low rent you only get from a share flat 2 hours from Uni by train. $200-$250 a week should find a pretty shabby 3 bedroom place, which is $70-$80 if split 3 ways (less if you can con the guy in the main bedroom into paying more since it's bigger). It's pretty good actually; I'd usually read lecture notes for the day on the way to Uni so I was prepared for the content, then read the textbook on the way home that the content was pulled from. My place was a real good price, I got away with $50 a week for the room I had. If you're living on Newstart, that's about half your week's money gone.

The other $80 is your transport and food money. Screw having a computer, you can use the ones on campus for free. Bugger having a phone, the only friends you have now are the people you see at lectures that will help you cram for exams. Op-shop clothing is cheap, though I'd recommend you avoid buying your undies second hand. That train fare on concession was about $4 each way for me, 10 trips a week total which eats half your $80 in transport. $40 left for food each week. Hah! That's $10 more than you need! Celebrate with a cask of goon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:32 am »

How long ago did you go to uni? If you don't have 24/7 access to moodle, you are in trouble... Plus there is electricity and water. You might need some toiletries.
Further more, nice of you to ignore what we do about students who are 'able' to live at home. The current system just promotes fraud and encourages people to lie about their family status just so they can move into one of these three bedroom apartments.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:57 am »

Well if you can live at home, then live at home. Your mum might not be as cool a flatmate as the dude who shares his beer with you when he's stoned, but like I said, even if she's got her own job to go to she might be willing to drive you to the train station on the way. Mum and Dad both don't have a car or won't drive you? Well you're no worse off than with the share house, even better if you have a bike you can ride. At least you're gonna be eating better than if you were living on your own, and you don't have to do all your own cooking.

Electricity, water, toiletries and all the rest of your expenses from the single life have to come from your $40 food budget. Assuming an average electricity bill of $1,671 annually split three ways that's roughly $10 per week. Your water will probably be half that. If you want access to internet, use the free computers at Uni. It'd be odd for any campus not to have late night libraries available. Just don't forget to catch the last bus or train home, otherwise you gotta have a friend near Uni that'll let you crash on their couch overnight. I got lucky and scored a girlfriend near Uni. Sleepover = $8 saved in train fare per day.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2013, 03:58:03 am »

Liberal Party blaming Labor for the high crime rate in a state where the Liberal Party control the police force :/

Ahh, God bless hypocrisy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2013, 04:01:50 am »

Fun fact: Because Labor is currently in federal government, that means they control all state and local government as well, right? Fuck it, not only do they control all three levels of government, they also control the policy of other countries, so if anybody does anything that anybody doesn't like, just blame Labor!

My left sock has a hole! FUCKING LABOR!!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2013, 04:17:54 am »

LOL, it just gets better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_O%27Farrell

Barry Robert O'Farrell MP, (born 24 May 1959) is an Australian politician and is the 43rd Premier of New South Wales and Minister for Western Sydney.

LOL, NSW Liberals top politician is specifically both the man who appoints the head of the NSW police AND in charge of the suburbs where "crime is out of control"!!! Obviously, any bad news is someone else's fault, and any good news is credited to themselves.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:19:31 am by Reelya »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:23 am »

Regarding the picture: Note the reference to being unable to protect our borders.

The subtext of the message is that illegal immigrants are related to increased crime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2013, 04:37:59 am »

Yeah, but Sydney is just about as far away from the "boat people" as you can get. Anyway the bulk of illegal immigrants in Australia date from the Howard government years:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/illegal-immigrants-arrive-by-plane/story-e6frea6u-1226200568050
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:42:15 am by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2013, 04:42:36 am »

The subtext of the message is that illegal immigrants are related to increased crime.
I know, racist isn't it!
Clearly playing on others fears rather than any sort of logical reasoning. Pathos over logos, all day every day, its the liberal way!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:58 am »

My left sock has a hole! FUCKING LABOR!!!!
Reminds me of Thanks Obama.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:28 pm »

Another taxpayer-funded article from the "No shit, Sherlock" journal of scientific research.

A survey shows two-in-five Australians drink alcohol to get drunk.

Glad to see my money well spent.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

What, you don't see how that is actually a useful figure in a country where binge drinking is so high?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163