Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216552 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:19 am »

So yeah, on that subject, aparently Assange is shooting for an Australian political office or something? Anyone been following this story?

Latest news I've seen; he's still planning to run for the Victorian Senate, other party members will shoot for W.A. and N.S.W., and his father is head of the party.

Also, a friend of a friend on FB compiled this; while I stress that it's not a guarenteed list of changes that will be made under the Coalition, there is apparently Coalition support for many of these policies.
He didn't link to his sources, but I believe he got the data from here, and there is additional discussion on the matter here. Considering that some of the proposed items include privatising the ABC (aww hell naw), I think it's safe to say things may be worrying in future.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've messaged the original author for his source, and will update when I get it.

EDIT: Here's his source. Caveat to earlier post; this appears to solely be a recommendation/opinion piece from the IPA. So, certainly concerning, but not quite terrifying yet.

That said, any organisation willing to privatise CSIRO should be put down by 2x4. With a rusty nail in it. >:(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:29:51 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:55 am »

That reads like a to-do list from 'How to loot your government.'
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:17 am »

Welp I just threw up a little in my mouth.
I always figured Abbot for a 'Attack everything, do nothing' kind of guy, but looks like he actually wants to destroy everything. Hopefully Greens get balance of power, because I don't have much hope for Labor right now...

Or heck, I could always move to Canada, they aren't so bad, right?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:52 am »

A boatload of asylum seekers sails into a busy WA port completely unchallenged

Seems our border security's really a bit of a joke. Perhaps we should spend more on our military budget for the navy? Oh wait, we had this conversation already, didn't we?

Still, political position on asylum seekers aside, the fact you can sail your boat right into a busy port in broad daylight means there's little chance we'd ever have luck stopping really organized groups illegally importing, say, drugs and so forth. Of course, it could just be that they aimed for the western side of our country. We really don't care too much about that bit, it's the other side we like more.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2013, 04:19:37 am »

Why do we want to stop asylum seekers again?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:48 am »

Because they're evil and take our jobs and have dark skin?

Or something about them breaking some laws that say they can only enter the country through legal channels?

Probably the same reason I gotta show my Visa and pay inflated airline prices if I want to go overseas instead of just hopping a fishing trawler. Apparently it's alright to come here if you got all your legal paperwork in order and plenty of cash.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2013, 04:52:27 am »

No, there isn't actually any laws against entering the country as an asylum seeker. As an immigrant without the proper paper work is illegal, but asylum seekers aren't breaking any laws by coming here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2013, 05:03:54 am »

Under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) (Migration Act), it is mandatory for any non-citizen in Australia without a valid visa to be detained, whether they arrive on the mainland or on an 'excised offshore place'. These people – called ‘unlawful non-citizens’ under the Migration Act – may only be released from immigration detention if they are granted a visa or removed from Australia.
http://humanrights.gov.au/human_rights/immigration/detention_rights.html

Seems they are.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2013, 05:05:25 am »

Max White, it's still worrying that you don't know what comes into your harbors.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2013, 05:08:48 am »

Under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) (Migration Act), it is mandatory for any non-citizen in Australia without a valid visa to be detained, whether they arrive on the mainland or on an 'excised offshore place'. These people – called ‘unlawful non-citizens’ under the Migration Act – may only be released from immigration detention if they are granted a visa or removed from Australia.
http://humanrights.gov.au/human_rights/immigration/detention_rights.html

Seems they are.

It's not law saying that seeking asylum is illegal, it's a mandate for the government to detain them.

From a linked page on the same site:

Seeking asylum in Australia, or elsewhere, is not illegal. In fact, it is a basic human right. All people are entitled to protection of their human rights, including the right to seek asylum, regardless of how or where they arrive in Australia, or in any other country.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:01 am »

They're called 'unlawful non-citizens' by definition of the Migration Act. Seeking asylum is a lawful act when granted a visa. Entering the country without visa is not. Detention centers exist to separate the two.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2013, 05:34:44 am »

Detention centers exist because of weird legal technicalities and mincing words. We have a humanitarian obligation to accept asylum seekers, just like everybody else.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2013, 05:40:13 am »

Of course we have that obligation, and we meet it when a person is judged to be an authentic asylum seeker. But reviewing each person's case to rule out alternative motivations such as fleeing crimes, debts or simple desire to live in a richer country takes time.

As quoted earlier, everyone has the right to seek asylum. The government only has the obligation to grant asylum when the appropriate criteria are met.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2013, 05:43:16 am »

The reason any country wants to make sure,immigrants come through the right channels is because otherwise they will be used as sex and/or work slaves by criminal organisations and immoral businessowners. That's a universal constant. If the state don't know they're here, the state can't help them even in the tiniest of ways.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:34 am »

Oh hey, in other news, from the journal of 'No shit, Sherlock' science articles:

Australian scientists prove women like men with bigger penises

Your government funded research dollars at work, folks.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 163