Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215757 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:32 am »

Geez, what's wrong with long, dark, conservative futures? Except for gay rights. Yeah, politics suck when you are moderate. Picking and choosing from left and right wing ideologies just sucks.
Also, the Carbon Tax. I hate the thing. Was supposedly never going to get introduced, but with the whole greens thing it became a reality. Basically, Australia is run off of industry and agriculture. They get taxed more heavily, so they raise prices, so less people buy our stuff, so we have a poorer economy. Its way cheaper and easier to simply raise prices than to cut down on carbon.
Our politics suck. I wonder what Canadian politics are like?
Incredibly stupid, but fun.

Crappy lately, because Conservatives, but Harper will be booted out. Hopefully. Soon. @_@
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:34 am »

I really don't see why the government is taking away funding for our military. It honestly sucks knowing that it's funding is getting more and more shrunk, and that we are going to have to rely on America to support any defence. I really hope that this is rectified.

Less defence spending is pretty much always gonna be a good thing, IMO.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2013, 02:27:19 am »

I really don't see why the government is taking away funding for our military. It honestly sucks knowing that it's funding is getting more and more shrunk, and that we are going to have to rely on America to support any defence. I really hope that this is rectified.

Defence from what exactly?

I'm not too worried that Australia is going to get invaded. Indonesia is the only likely candidate, and their defense spending is half Australia's as a % of GDP, and their GDP is half Australia's too.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:22 am »

Do we need the military to defend against the nasty critters that call Australia home? :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2013, 02:32:42 am »

Well military spending done right can act as an easy economic stimulus when things are bad, but in general the exact opposite is true when things are good.
Right now we aren't in a bad enough position for that to be justified, so every dollar we squeeze from that budget is good.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:54 am »

I'm not too worried that Australia is going to get invaded. Indonesia is the only likely candidate, and their defense spending is half Australia's as a % of GDP, and their GDP is half Australia's too.
Anyone that tries to invade us.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:40 am »

Infrastructure construction and maintenance overall are better than military as an economic stimulus. Mainly because no private business was going to re-tar that road - since the benefit is shared by many entities - so no business is diverted to the public sector that could have been handled privately. Plus, private commerce can actively benefit from the thing created / maintained.

The USA can barely benefit from invading the weakest nations on Earth. Actually, they're losing vast amounts of money due to the couple of invasions they did. So the cost / benefit analysis of an invasion of this sort just doesn't add up for anyone to come here. Plus, it won't just be the USA backing us up if it came to that, it'd by 90% of the nations on Earth.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:38:41 am by Reelya »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2013, 02:37:56 am »

Let's make a list of those...

HMMM

HMMM

NOPE
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:13 am »

Let's make a list of those...

HMMM

HMMM

NOPE
If we lay down the groundwork now, then a strong military can be maintained with less spending if we spend now. So long into the future, it WILL help.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2013, 02:42:38 am »

As we go further into the future, a strong military will become less and less necessary.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2013, 02:43:40 am »

If we lay down the groundwork now, then a strong military can be maintained with less spending if we spend now. So long into the future, it WILL help.
That is oddly ambiguous. It is like if you told me you have a wonder elixir that can stop health problems down the track, thus buying this elixir will actually save me money. So the only rational thing to do is ask; how does it work?
What would you propose to 'lay down the groundwork' in order to achieve 'a strong military' that 'can be maintained with less spending if we spend now'? What groundwork do you speak of and how will it help?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:16 am »

As we go further into the future, a strong military will become less and less necessary.
This is assuming the world turns into a happy adventure-filled place with no war. That is the least likely occurrence.

That is oddly ambiguous. It is like if you told me you have a wonder elixir that can stop health problems down the track, thus buying this elixir will actually save me money. So the only rational thing to do is ask; how does it work?
What would you propose to 'lay down the groundwork' in order to achieve 'a strong military' that 'can be maintained with less spending if we spend now'? What groundwork do you speak of and how will it help?
Cutting down on training costs. If we get a large influx of people and equipment now, then training and orientation can be done en masse, instead of courses for few people.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:56 am »

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2013, 02:50:24 am »

Cutting down on training costs. If we get a large influx of people and equipment now, then training and orientation can be done en masse, instead of courses for few people.

If we get a large influx of equipment NOW, it will both cost money to store and maintain it, and by the time we need it, it'll be both worn out AND obsolete. Old gear tends to cost more to service than brand new stuff, you know.

e.g. saving money for next-gen jets is better than buying jets now you're not going to use until later.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:52:04 am by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52:44 am »

Hmm, I want to cut costs for my business, so I should hire a lot of staff and procure a lot of equipment now, far more than I actually need, so they are ready in the future.

Also, I'm pretty sure that somewhere out there the spirits of a thousand managers are screaming out in agony.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 163