Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216654 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #435 on: April 25, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »

It's the principle of the thing. If Obama got himself declared King Obama I of America, even if that position had no power, there would be a rightful opposition to such a thing.

Monarchy degrades democracy just by existing.

Very true.

So basically they are like the media, except the Royal Family?

"The media" is a very misleading term that collectivises something that isn't really collective.
Yer print, TV and online news would affect politicians more than the Royals.
And hey, they are just influencing politicians. Just like you can. With a letter.
It's the principle of the thing. If Obama got himself declared King Obama I of America, even if that position had no power, there would be a rightful opposition to such a thing.

Monarchy degrades democracy just by existing.
It degrades democracy by affecting democracy in no way?
It does effect democracy. By existing as it does it holds up the mental image of authoritarian hierarchies in the minds of the public. It doesn't even really have to try to degrade democracy. The cultural and intellectual weight of its existence effects democracy without action.
Does it really matter whether it feels like democracy or not? Democracy is a system of government, not some ideal that has to be parroted everywhere. It does not affect your elections, or your actual democratic rights.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 25, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

The other downside to the Monarchy is the fact that it's the epicentre of a whole feudal system in the UK, just reduced down to almost impotency. That's our problem though, not Australia's.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:22 pm »

The other downside to the Monarchy is the fact that it's the epicentre of a whole feudal system in the UK, just reduced down to almost impotency. That's our problem though, not Australia's.
No, in fact the entire monarchical system is your problem, not ours.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 25, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »

And hey, they are just influencing politicians. Just like you can. With a letter.

If you honestly think that my letter to a politician on an issue is going to swing his opinion more than the Queen's you've gone clean skite.

The fact that she is your Queen means it's your problem. That was a very daft thing to say. Unless of course you were trying to make a comment about it being "my problem" in the sense of me being odd and taking an issue with something that is at odds with the opinions of the majority, as opposed to "your problem" referring to "Britain's problem".

In that case I don't really know what to say, if the majority want something and I don't I suppose I can't really comment then, or rather, I ought not to. If that's your implication.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:14:22 pm by Owlbread »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »

If you honestly think that my letter to a politician on an issue is going to swing his opinion more than the Queen's you've gone clean skite.

The fact that she is your Queen means it's your problem. That was a very daft thing to say. Unless of course you were trying to make a comment about it being "my problem" in the sense of me being odd and taking an issue with something that is at odds with the opinions of the majority, as opposed to "your problem" referring to "Britain's problem".
I meant Your as in ' Your Country', but anyway. The queen has no actual Authority here. She has no deployable influences in my country. To put it crudely, she can't do shit.

And you are the one voting a politician in, yes? Get public support. 80.000 people>The Queen.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 25, 2013, 02:16:29 pm »

I meant Your as in ' Your Country', but anyway.

Ah, I see. My apologies for overestimating you.

The queen has no actual Authority here. She has no deployable influences in my country. To put it crudely, she can't do shit.

If she had no authority there would be no point in having a Head of State. I'm repeating myself now.

And you are the one voting a politician in, yes? Get public support. 80.000 people>The Queen.

Are you aware of how difficult it is to get the support of 80 thousand people?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:19:04 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 25, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

So you're saying she should have power but she also shouldn't?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 25, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »

I meant Your as in ' Your Country', but anyway.

Ah, I see. My apologies for overestimating you.

The queen has no actual Authority here. She has no deployable influences in my country. To put it crudely, she can't do shit.

If she had no authority there would be no point in having a Head of State. I'm repeating myself now.
Exactly, while there is no point in having her, there is no point in keeping her. But there is no point getting rid of her. I mean, Buckingham palace, those guys with the hats, it's all a connection to your past. I mean, would you throw out your day's prized car if it didn't work?

Also, really? Overestimated me? If you're going to start stuff like this, I don't see a point in continuing.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 25, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »

Well, Kingfisher certainly expressed his opinion that democracy doesn't work and that authoritarianism, if done well, is better.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 25, 2013, 02:20:30 pm »

Does it really matter whether it feels like democracy or not? Democracy is a system of government, not some ideal that has to be parroted everywhere. It does not affect your elections, or your actual democratic rights.
I never said anything about it feeling like democracy. I said it effects democracy conceptually. And yes, democracy is an ideal. It needs to be at the forefront of the public consciousness to create a greater whole from the will of the people.

You are right that the monarchy of the UK doesn't effect my elections or rights, but that's because I'm American, not because the monarchy doesn't effect democracy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:45 pm »

Well, Kingfisher certainly expressed his opinion that democracy doesn't work and that authoritarianism, if done well, is better.

Do you see the UK as an authoritarian state opposed to a democratic one?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 25, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »

Exactly, while there is no point in having her, there is no point in keeping her. But there is no point getting rid of her. I mean, Buckingham palace, those guys with the hats, it's all a connection to your past. I mean, would you throw out your day's prized car if it didn't work?

Whether or not that past was rosey and pleasant and worth keeping is another story.

I see the UK as a generally democratic state with unfortunate autoritarian elements that should be excised like dead flesh.

But yes, to recap, kingfisher has established that authoritarianism (if done well) is preferable to democracy (because it doesn't work) and that there is no sense in having a head of state, although there's no sense in getting rid of them if you've got them, especially if it has historic links.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:25:56 pm by Owlbread »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 25, 2013, 02:28:26 pm »

I never said anything about it feeling like democracy. I said it effects democracy conceptually. And yes, democracy is an ideal. It needs to be at the forefront of the public consciousness to create a greater whole from the will of the people.

You are right that the monarchy of the UK doesn't effect my elections or rights, but that's because I'm American, not because the monarchy doesn't effect democracy.
But it doesn't affect democracy. It's not taking any freedoms with her being " Head Of State' It's a purely symbolic system.
Conceptually? Really? Private corporations affect my democracy. Conceptually. That grass affects my democracy. Conceptually.
Concept does not matter. Execution does.

Whether or not that past was rosey and pleasant and worth keeping is another story.

I see the UK as a generally democratic state with unfortunate autoritarian elements that should be excised like dead flesh.

But yes, to recap, kingfisher has established that authoritarianism (if done well) is preferable to democracy (because it doesn't work) and that there is no sense in having a head of state, although there's no sense in getting rid of them if you've got them.
Are you even paying attention? There are good Authoritarian systems ( Hitler. Yes, except for all that silly WW2 business he was pretty effective.) Bad ones. ( Stalin) Good democracies ( France) And bad ones. ( African ones) Authoritarianism is really just an ideal you have on a democratic or monarchical or communist society, dictating how people should live their lives.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:56 pm »

Are you even paying attention? There are good Authoritarian systems ( Hitler. Yes, except for all that silly WW2 business he was pretty effective.) Bad ones. ( Stalin) Good democracies ( France) And bad ones. ( African ones) Authoritarianism is really just an ideal you have on a democratic or monarchical or communist society, dictating how people should live their lives.

But, generally, you support the authoritarian systems if done well, given that you previously used the argument about failed African democracies to justify the existence of the Monarchical system in Australia and the UK.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:16 pm »

But, generally, you support the authoritarian systems if done well, given that you previously used the argument about failed African democracies to justify the existence of the Monarchical system in Australia and the UK.
And I said beforehand that Chinese Authoritarianism doesn't work.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 163