Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214902 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1785 on: July 20, 2016, 04:48:33 am »

The best bit is her actual background and how that got her into politics. She owned a fish and chip shop in a particular region in Queensland (which I compare to Alabama). On the basis of ranting about how Asians were taking over the country (an issue in Queensland due to heavy 1980's Japanese investment in coastal resorts/hotels up there) to people who came into the fish and chip shop, she got elected to the city council, then onto federal politics representing the region.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:04:17 am by Reelya »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 20, 2016, 04:58:39 am »

More auspicious start than trump, who just did it because it was a potential deal he could make.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 20, 2016, 06:03:18 am »

The best bit is her actual background and how that got her into politics. She owned a fish and chip shop in a particular region in Queensland (which I compare to Alabama). On the basis of ranting about how Asians were taking over the country (an issue in Queensland due to heavy 1980's Japanese investment in coastal resorts/hotels up there) to people who came into the fish and chip shop, she got elected to the city council, then onto federal politics representing the region.
Aside from the fact that she's representing racist fears, it's a good sign that this was possible at all.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 20, 2016, 06:19:36 am »

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 22, 2016, 08:05:20 am »

The Scottish journalist Andrew MacGregor Marshall, who lives in Australia and is persona non grata in Thailand wrote an article in the German Bild magazine about the curious choice of clothing of the Thai crown prince Vajiralongkorn. He was wearing his wife's top and too large jeans hanging down his butt, when arriving in Germany for a state visit.

In response, the Thai authorities have arrested his Thai wife and child, who were in Thailand for a family visit, on charges of being an accomplice to lese majesty, which can be punished by up to 15 years in prison.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:06 am »

The Scottish journalist Andrew MacGregor Marshall, who lives in Australia and is persona non grata in Thailand wrote an article in the German Bild magazine about the curious choice of clothing of the Thai crown prince Vajiralongkorn. He was wearing his wife's top and too large jeans hanging down his butt, when arriving in Germany for a state visit.

In response, the Thai authorities have arrested his Thai wife and child, who were in Thailand for a family visit, on charges of being an accomplice to lese majesty, which can be punished by up to 15 years in prison.
I hate lese majeste laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 22, 2016, 08:17:51 am »

Wow, that's almost literally an Emperor's New Clothes story.

~~~

back on the Pauline Hanson thing for a minute, I wanted to add that it's not just her: her party has a history of having other candidates who are equally insightful about world religions:

''I don't oppose Islam as a country, umm, but I do feel that their laws should not be welcome here in Australia,'' Ms Banister said

Wants to ban halal food (which she repeatedly calls haram, which is the opposite of halal), but when pressed on her views on Kosher food says ''Jews aren't under haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ,'' she said. ''They don't have a tax on [kosher], they've just got a certain way of making it where haram has a tax on the food.''

Later she got upset at being quoted and said:

''Unfortunately, they've completely twisted all my words and made me out to be a stand-up criminal and a stupid moron,''

Ms Banister was recently arrested and charged after she plastered stickers on Nestle products in a Brisbane shopping centre saying ''halal food funds terrorism''

At least we haven't heard a peep out of Stephanie Bannister since this story broke.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:20:20 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:08 am »

I'm overwhelmed by the sheer stupidity, but what does Nestle have to do with anything? According to Wiki, Nestle is a Swiss company.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:13 am »

They probably pay to have their products halal certified, so that they can display the halal symbol on the packaging.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1794 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:52 am »

Nestle doesn't sell meat products or intoxicants, marketing their food as halal certified is like marketing lettuce as vegetarian certified

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 22, 2016, 11:45:35 am »

Nestle doesn't sell meat products or intoxicants, marketing their food as halal certified is like marketing lettuce as vegetarian certified
Vegetarian lettuce funds agrarianism. Down with gravity! Equal rights for lefts!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:48:15 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 22, 2016, 11:52:12 am »

Nestle does make chocolate milk powder and such. Those do need a halal mark, because a lot of milk powder products / coffee creamers have pork fats added.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:56 pm »

Also, jelly products can contain tallow, which even if it's from beef tallow, may not be halal. And cheese contains rennet. Nestle are pretty big, I'd be surprised if they don't have cheese in something.

So it doesn't have to be a literal pork chop to be non-halal.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:07:03 pm by Reelya »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 22, 2016, 06:39:33 pm »

Gelatin is the devil for vegetarians.
It's in everything. Even marshmallows.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 23, 2016, 03:36:32 am »

China is facing a(n internal) refugee stream at the moment that dwarfs the European refugee crisis.

Within a day's time, 16 million people have had to flee their cities because of heavy rain and subsequent floods. 8 million inhabitants of Hunan province have been evacuated, and 9 million people of the Habei province were evacuated.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/16-miljoen-chinezen-geevacueerd-door-extreme-regenval~a4345159/

EDIT: damn. The news article say that this summer, heavy floods have done 3 billion dollars of damage to the Chinese agricultural sector.

That's like... nothing. Peanuts. In the Netherlands, in the province of Noord Brabant alone, which is at about 5000 times smaller than China, a single thunder / hail storm last month did nearly 1 billion dollars (over 500 million euros) of damage to our agriculture. (Nearly all glasshouses were destroyed by hailstones the size of tennis balls, and all seasonal vegetables drowned).
China agriculture that cheap, or they have that little agriculture?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:45:50 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 163