Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214913 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1755 on: July 15, 2016, 09:41:01 am »

I still haven't been to any other state but NSW and QLD.
Someday I will see if Melbourne is as great as Melbourne says it is.
Until then I'll feel inferior and jealously resent it, like all good NSW people.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:54 pm »

Melbourne seemed pretty hard to get around in. That being said we kinda were all over the shop during our visit.

I grew up in Perth, and live in Melbourne now, and I have to say I very strongly disagree with your comment. I don't drive a car, so that might change things, but in terms of public transport, Melb is fantastic. Regular trains, with trams common in the inner suburbs (up to about 10-15km out), and still a large number of buses in the outer suburbs. Public transport runs all night on the weekend, and the drivers are far more tolerant of cyclists on the road (plus there's Copenhagen lanes!); all together, it makes life a lot easier.

Plus Uber exists for the few times you need a car.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 16, 2016, 12:13:15 am »

Melbourne seemed pretty hard to get around in. That being said we kinda were all over the shop during our visit.

I grew up in Perth, and live in Melbourne now, and I have to say I very strongly disagree with your comment. I don't drive a car, so that might change things, but in terms of public transport, Melb is fantastic. Regular trains, with trams common in the inner suburbs (up to about 10-15km out), and still a large number of buses in the outer suburbs. Public transport runs all night on the weekend, and the drivers are far more tolerant of cyclists on the road (plus there's Copenhagen lanes!); all together, it makes life a lot easier.

Plus Uber exists for the few times you need a car.

Yeah, public transport is actually quite good here. While our trains are hub-and-spoke and thus idiotic, combined with bus routes and tram routes, they fill in most of the blanks in suburbia. If I recall, one of the only suburbs that is poorly accessible on public transport is Doncaster, and that might be set to change soon anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 16, 2016, 12:25:36 am »

North Melbourne is Best Melbourne.

btw I have a room for rent in worst Melbourne. It's a 2 bedroom place, large room, close to shops, with a tram to the city right outside the house, electricity included in rent.
I just moved back to Queensland. Pretty sure someone's already lined up to take over my room in "Best Melbourne", though!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 16, 2016, 02:41:08 am »

One doesn't do a road trip on public transport though!
we did use a train to get to flemington (seemed poorly organized on oaks day however, unfortunately) and trams around the city a few times.

Brisbane isn't much better road wise, and much worse public transport wise, however.
Magma is overrated.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 16, 2016, 02:43:48 am »

Hey now, Brisbane's buses are way better than the buses and trams in Melbourne!
Melbourne's train system might be slightly better, though. Hard to say. They do get bonus points for all-night weekend services, but Brisbane trains are much more comfortable.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 16, 2016, 03:20:21 am »

Oh our actual physical busses are ok... our network.. not so much  :P
Magma is overrated.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1763 on: July 16, 2016, 08:32:50 am »

If it proves effective, it's bloody well condonable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 16, 2016, 08:35:37 am »

It's quite fun seeind Bob Mc Spokesman try to say the government does not condone extra-judicial killing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 16, 2016, 08:37:35 am »

Holy shit Duterte won the absolute madman, based
I wonder what medicine they use in those rehabilitation centers that people are flocking to. Zyklon-B perhaps
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 16, 2016, 09:13:23 am »

Holy shit Duterte won the absolute madman, based
Bit like Australia's dealing with illegal immigrants: It's brutal and sure as hell not condonable, but it proves effective.

It's a load of crap however. Figures from before the boat-people crackdown show that boat people made up less than 4% of asylum seekers. They literally targeted the smallest possible segment of refugees and did a highly-publicised "crackdown" on just those ones, while basically pretending that the vast bulk of refugees don't even exist (the 96+% of refugees who get off a plane are allowed to just wander around at their leisure).

90% of boat arrivals are found to be legitimate refugees, whereas plane arrivals are less than half as likely to be found to be legitimate. So the "amazingly effective" border-control policy completely ignores a vast number of likely fakers while persecuting a small minority of people extremely likely to be actual refugees.

The Australian government couldn't give a flying shit about actual fake refugees because they happily let known fakers walk around free without any of them even caring. This is what makes it especially on the nose as a policy: it's basically beating up the weakest possible people (a small number of very likely legitimate refugees) to look good for elections.

http://www.news.com.au/world/ten-myths-around-asylum-seekers-arriving-on-boats-in-australian-waters/story-fndir2ev-1226676024840
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:30:02 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1767 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:42 am »

Rofle Reelya, I saw you edit out that Fox article

Cheeki breeki :D

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 16, 2016, 09:30:52 am »

The FOX article is right there. I just edited out the mention that it's the FOX affiliate when I was trying to edit it for readability. news.com.au is the main news portal for NewsCorp, which is Murdoch's Australian media arm. Hence, the source I linked is affiliated with FOX News. NewsCorp own the right-wing papers in Australia.

It was my bad, because the fact that it's Murdoch press was to point out that these figures aren't from some sort of left-wing source, it's what the conservative papers are printing here. Thanks for pointing that out for me, since that point was lost in my edit by accident.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:42:34 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1769 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:52 am »

U wot

News Corp is freaking massive and its branches have their own editorials, Fox News is not affiliated in any meaningful sense beyond business, any more than ABC is affiliated with Marvel
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 163