Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217273 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1650 on: June 02, 2016, 04:21:38 pm »

I need to make an presentation about Australia problems. It needs to be more than less serious, so no drop-bears (I would actually do one about Emu War but that's not exactly current one) but I have no idea what problems Australia has, except huge spiders of course, but it's more about like society problems or somestuff.
Help.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: June 02, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »

Refugees, dying corals, invasive species (mention the camels, and how Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia!).

Also being confused with Austria.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: June 02, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »

Australian Issues

1: Immigrants/Refugees. Australia currently has very harsh laws designed to protect its borders from illegal immigration, predominantly via arrival by boat. Several of these violate current UN guidelines on the treatment of refugees, such as mandatory detention. There's division over whether these laws are fair or unnecessarily harsh, but the current political party takes pride in their track record of "turning back the boats." The perception is that many seeking entry into the country through refugee status are actually simply economic migrants looking for a better quality of life than that found in their own country. Given our isolated location and lack of direct access, refugees typically have to pass through many other countries to reach Australia, and the argument is that if they were true refugees simply looking to escape threats to their life, they would have stopped there instead of actively attempting a dangerous journey via boat to Australia. For additional references, see the articles on the Pacific Solution and Operation Sovereign Borders.

2. Declining Iron Ore Demand: Australia experienced an unprecedented boom in trade over the last ten years thanks to overseas demand for iron ore, particularly in China and the Asia region. From 2005 to its peak in 2014, exports skyrocketed (see graph), and the mining industry in Australia was big business that made a lot of people rich overnight. Sadly the demand has downturned, and while Australia is lucky enough to have existing infrastructure and resources to continue offering their ore at the lower end of the price spectrum, we're in competition with alternative sites such as South America, which has lower labour costs and ore deposits of a higher quality. This in large part has been a continuing debate in politics, as many budget predictions were planned on the (misguided) assumption that income from ore exports would continue growing.

3. 2016 Federal Election: Due to repeated failure to agree on legislation by a divided Senate, the current government has called for an early election to resolve the deadlock. It's anyone's guess who will win, but currently the opposition are slightly in the lead. The last six years has seen no less than five different people take a turn at the position of Prime Minister of Australia, as a unique feature of Australia's political system is that the political party decides who gets the job and can vote to change their preference if they're unhappy with the current leadership. By comparison, one person held the job for eleven years prior to that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: June 02, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »

"Spiders" etc aren't actually a problem. Nobody has died from a spider bite in Australia since before they invented anti-venom in the 1970s. Meanwhile, bees do actually kill people here. These are regular European honeybees that I'm talking about, that coincidentally, you can find anywhere in the world.

Being stung by a honeybee kills more people in Australia than the crocodiles. Sharks and bees are roughly equally likely to get you.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:30:48 pm by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: June 02, 2016, 05:45:30 pm »

what about the deadly deadly sharkbees?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: June 02, 2016, 06:47:03 pm »

Has science gone too far?

Yes. The answer is fucking yes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1656 on: June 02, 2016, 07:20:24 pm »

Thanks guys. That will do.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: June 03, 2016, 01:19:31 pm »

Refugees, dying corals, invasive species (mention the camels, and how Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia!).

Also being confused with Austria.

Don't forget keeping the corals out of the UN report "because it would affect tourism".
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: June 03, 2016, 10:52:00 pm »

Looming collapse of our housing bubble.
Every couple of weeks a financial institution comes along and says "Yo, Australia, you're about to have a massive collapse in this section of the economy."
And the Government replies "The issue is--" nah, jk, they don't actually reply. They just keep ignoring it until it goes away. :)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:03 am »

But the bank spokesman told me there was no "bubble"! Who am I to believe?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: June 04, 2016, 03:08:54 am »

Yeah, housing prices are utterly insane right now. One of my friend's parents recently sold their house they built in Outer Suburbia, Victoria for $300kAUD, for $900kAUD. Our house at current prices would probably be comparable, and it's not even a particularly nice house! Current market estimates would put it at $750k, and we built for about $270k maybe fifteen years ago.

Couple that overheated home market with drastic oversupply of rentals, yet rent is almost totally unaffordable. Inner city apartments are estimated to be maybe 50% unfilled, because they price all but the richest out of them, and the richest don't want them because they're shoeboxes.

Outer suburban rentals are also very expensive, but there is extremely high demand. It is looking like many of my peers will need to live at home with their parents if they want to not be lifelong renters.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 04, 2016, 07:25:54 am »

Yeah, housing price is screwed. Can't wait for that bubble to burst, since I'm not a landlord or a renter. So long as mortgage interest rates stay low, I'm happy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1662 on: June 04, 2016, 08:59:29 pm »

I await the bubble bursting with fear - bubbles pop with the force of shockwaves in the vacuum of a dyson hoover sucking up decades of gunpowder do make things bad for rank and file hoi polloi ;/

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 04, 2016, 10:21:47 pm »

Foreign nationals buying homes for... reasons, well... That'll do a number on a national housing market.

I'm hoping me and my harem of cute boys can buy a parcel of land in BC to fiddle with but who knows...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: June 04, 2016, 10:23:54 pm »

Waaaait.  Descan has an entire harem?  When did that happen and do you give classes on achieving proper haremitude?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 163