Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217230 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1590 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:41 pm »

The icing on the cake is that he got ousted 4 days before his two-year anniversary, so the articles can truthfully say "after less than two years".
Would've been better if it was 4 days later so they could say "after exactly two years"

Also was Abbo the one who wanted to drill the reef?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 12, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »

Thought I'd open this up for debate/discussion since it came up in another thread, we really need to let people here know about it.

Today, new metadata laws for Australian ISPs came into effect. But 84% of ISPs do not actually have the infrastructure to collect said metadata. My bet is that they're being deliberately slow in implementing it. There are no profits to be had in humouring the government, but there are potential losses to be incurred for being overzealous in spying on your customers. ISPs can be breached for not collecting this "metadata" by today. But they can ask for an extension, which gives them another 18 months to comply with the laws. Here's a worry however, 2/3 ISPs say they're not sure exactly what this "metadata" is that they're supposed to be collecting. If ISPs can't even work out what this is about, then there's little hope for the rest of us to figure out what our rights are. Also , the costs of compliance actually look like they're going to put several smaller regional ISPs out of business. Some are already reducing services because they're no longer breaking even due to the new laws.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-13/majority-of-isps-not-ready-to-start-collecting-metadata/684737

Well, so what's this metadata then?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-17/what-is-metadata-how-will-it-be-defined-by-new-australia-laws/6325908

This bullet-point list is the best breakdown of exactly what the metadata does and does not cover:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One of the biggest risks here isn't even government snooping. The new system will put everyone in Australia's metadata into a single database. That's one single point of failure. What if a hacker gains access to that data collection? They've now got metadata for everyone in the country.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:42:29 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 12, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »

(From the happy thread. to keep my non-happy reply out of that)
Doctors at the Melbourne Royal Children's Hospital have taken a stand against the Federal Government and are refusing to return asylum seeker children to immigration detention, stating it would be highly unethical.

This sorta stuff gives me hope after all.
Put it this way, there's children in those prisons getting raped or other nasty shit, and the doctors are essentially risking jail by refusing to return them.

There's gonna be some really big change in this country soon.

On that topic, Tony Abbott announced accepting more refugees on September 9th, that was the first time he ever said anything positive about humanitarian aid in his whole career. By September 14th, he was ousted as leader. Coincidental timing? Or a last-gasp clutching at power through appealing to populism? The guy used refugee-hate to get into power, and switched to refugee-love at the last minute to cling to power.

He just "used refugees" in general then and probably couldn't actually give two fucks about refugees either way. That's the bit that makes it the most sickening. It's like Hitler trying to save himself at the last minute going "you know what, some of my best friends are Jewish!"

Someone who'll stick men, women and children in concentration camps purely to get votes is a scary motherfucker indeed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:26:06 pm by Reelya »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29:12 am »

Today, new metadata laws for Australian ISPs came into effect.

Yeah, that about puts the last nail in the coffin of my reluctance to finally commit to a VPN. Any good suggestions for the Australian market?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 13, 2015, 06:52:24 am »

I...I can't even...How...What the flying skeletal carp, Australia guvmint.  This is not how to spy on people effectively.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:52 am »

The high court of Papua New Guinea ruled that the refugee detention center paid for by Australia is illegal, and will have to close down, Papua New Guinea's prime minister O'Neil announced today.
He has asked the Australian government to quickly come up with a plan to relocate the 900-ish refugees, all male, which are currently held on the island of Manus.

Australia pays Papua New Guinea for the detention of refugees which are caught on open sea, before reaching Australia. A controversial Australian law decrees that no refugee that tries to reach Australia by sea is allowed to enter the country, ans should instead be brought to detention centers at Manus and Nauru, and they will never be allowed to apply for legal status in Australia.

O'Neill says that any refugee that has fled for political reasons is welcome to apply for asylum in Papua New Guinea. Yet, most of the 900 detainees want to go to Australia instead.
"It is very clear that a number of them does not want to stay in Papua New Guinea", says O'Neill.

Both countries need to find a solution quickly, now that judges have ruled that refugee's rights have been violated, and the camp has to be dismantled.

The Australian minister of immigration Peter Dutton has already replied, stating that none of those refugees are allowed to come to Australia. He also turned down requests from human rights organisations to transfer them to Australia.

The High Court ruled after a serious incident in the refugee center. An Iranian refugee set fire to himself in protest against Australia's strict immigration policy.
Australian minister Peter Dutton says the man will be flown to Australia to recieve medical treatment. "His condition is very serious", he said.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/omstreden-australisch-azc-op-papoea-nieuw-guinea-moet-dicht~a4290367/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:15 am »

I wouldn't want to resettle in Papua New Guinea either. It's an incredibly poor country with almost no infrastructure.
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=17301
Port Moresby ranks 137 of 140 countries in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s livability index, with a score that indicates that “most aspects of living are severely restricted.” There is high unemployment, and up to half the population reportedly lives in squatter settlements.
And that's in the capital, which is the well-developed area.

It will be interesting how the Australian government deals with this. We have a federal election coming up, this is probably the last thing that the incumbent government wants to have to deal with right now. Sadly, the Labor party here also supports the off-shore camps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1597 on: April 27, 2016, 11:58:42 am »

Good if you've got a boat

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 27, 2016, 02:24:12 pm »

I expect that Dutton just wants to jam the Manus Island refugees into whatever next camp has space; probably Nauru or one of the many on-shore ones we have.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:44 am »

The Australian government is planning to raise the price of a pack of cigarettes to 45 dollars (29 euros) in 2020.
I guess growing tobacco illegally will become more profitable than making crystal meth then.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/03/smokers-to-pay-more-than-45-for-a-packet-of-cigarettes-from-2020
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 04, 2016, 08:43:11 am »

Impoverishing addicts is how you discourage addiction, it worked great over here in America.

Kappa
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:34 am »

It actually works nicely in the case of cigarettes, at least when the rise is suddent (you need to send a signal for people to stop).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:45 am »

Well, smugglers and such will price-point below that, so it could be argued the black market will flourish. Although the black market price will still be above current market prices (if it wasn't then we'd already have a huge black market now).

What's more significant is that there are alternatives to cigarettes which will become enticingly cheaper: e.g. nicotine patches.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 04, 2016, 09:48:04 am »

(you need to send a signal for people to stop)
Why?

You should make neutral info freely availible, and counter the tobacco industry's propaganda, but why should the government have a mission to keep people from smoking? Just make 'em pay for the additional strain they put on the healthcare system, and tell them to go kill themelves slowly if they really want to.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:42 am »

He meant this type of signaling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_signal
Not public "don't smoke" messages.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 163